Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: November 04, 2018 09:14PM

The whole event on satellite transmission lasted a little over and hour, but this segment features Everybody's Favorite Mormon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NZTg7pyh3U

The first segment, featuring Sister Jean Bingham, may come later. Jeff is clearly a beloved figure too popular to wait to hear from.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: c ( )
Date: November 04, 2018 09:22PM

He came to my stake conference a couple months ago. The place was filled to the brink of people. I just hate how people treat him like such a Godlike figure. Newsflash: none of the general authorities speak to God because they're just pulling it out of their asses.

Also the jokes he made were shit. Everyone laughed at them anyway, though. You're not a comedian, Holland; you're the leader of a cult.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: November 06, 2018 12:03PM

c Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He came to my stake conference a couple months
> ago. The place was filled to the brink of people.
> I just hate how people treat him like such a
> Godlike figure. Newsflash: none of the general
> authorities speak to God because they're just
> pulling it out of their asses.
>
> Also the jokes he made were shit. Everyone laughed
> at them anyway, though. You're not a comedian,
> Holland; you're the leader of a cult.

Haha! He's not Gordon B. Hinckley who did have some good timing and could tell a good joke. Thomas S. Monson had his moments of brilliance. Holland tries and does a belly flop. Well as they say, everyone wants a piece of the act. Hinckley and Monson were good at show business and Holland sucks at it.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 04, 2018 10:04PM

He sounds like a coach giving a pep talk. The gathering of Israel thing is pretty dumb. They’re going to saddle the youth with selling a product that won’t sell to their demographic. I might have well been listening to Jeffrey Lebowski.

Anderson’s talk was pretty good if you filter out the culty stuff.

Date: November 06, 2018 12:08PM

babyloncansuckit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He sounds like a coach giving a pep talk. The
> gathering of Israel thing is pretty dumb.
> They’re going to saddle the youth with selling a
> product that won’t sell to their demographic. I
> might have well been listening to Jeffrey
> Lebowski.
>
> Anderson’s talk was pretty good if you filter
> out the culty stuff.

Gather Israel sounds more important than missionary work. Yup the church fails to realize nobody wants their product because it sucks. A shit sandwich is still a shit sandwich regardless of what you name it.

We will see where this goes in another ten years. Russel M Nelson will either have passed on or probably will be a vegetable. The gathering Israel rhetoric will probably still be preached with dwindling membership numbers being the result.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: November 04, 2018 10:04PM

String together a bunch of those buzzwords and the TBMs in the audience get an emotional buzz.

But if you closely analyze what has been said, you soon realize that...well...nothing actually has been said.

Let's just look at the first authoritatively pronounced statement:

"Obedience to the doctrine of Christ is the only way to return to the presence of Heavenly Father."

What is the "doctrine of Christ"?

Was polygamy the "doctrine of Christ?" Brigham Young and Joseph Smith and Heber C. Kimball and George Q. Cannon all would say "YES!!!"

Nelson, Eyring, Holland et al would say something like: "Sort of, but not now, but maybe later...we don't know exactly..."

What is the "doctrine of Christ"?

Is firmly believing that Adam is the Father, the God, the only God to whom we pray and whom we worship the "doctrine of Christ"? Brigham Young emphatically would have said "YES!"

Nelson, Eyring, Holland and colleagues would say: "NO!"

Are temples/temple rituals part of the "doctrine of Christ"?

Holland would say: "Absolutely!"

The Book of Mormon says nothing about it, but is supposed to the "fullness of the gospel of Jesus Christ".

D&C 20:8-9:

"8. And gave him power from on high, by the means which were before prepared, to translate the Book of Mormon;

"9. Which contains a record of a fallen people, and the FULNESS OF THE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST to the Gentiles and to the Jews also."

So is the "doctrine of Christ" different from the "gospel of Christ"?

If the Book of Mormon contains the "fulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ" and completely omits any mention of baptism for the dead, polygamy the way that Joseph Smith practiced it, temple ordinances and rituals, etc., is it safe to say that "obedience to the doctrine of Christ" does not require participation or belief in any of those omitted items?

Holland would say "No! You have to be obedient to all of those things!"

I would say: "Obedience to those things is not required."

Who would be right? Holland would insist that he's right because he has the priesthood and authority to declare such things.

I would say that he's not right and that his "priesthood" and "authority" are fictions, fabrications, falsehoods and farcical nonsense.

So confusing! Who could settle such disagreements with clarity, so that we do not have to rely upon the pronouncements of strange old guys who think that they have proper authority because they wear suits and ties, rub olive oil in each others' hair and pretend to give each other Christ's authority. It's a joke.

Jesus could settle the matter by personally appearing to everyone and explaining things clearly. But that doesn't happen.

The "General Authorities" are constantly disagreeing with past "General Authorities" and often with each other.

So, with that in mind, let's go back to the original statement:

"Obedience to the doctrine of Christ is the only way to return to the presence of Heavenly Father."

The buzz words are there:

Mormons have been programmed to have an emotional response to the word "obedience." It triggers a vague feeling of guilt because every Mormon knows that there are dozens of rules that they may be are not being perfectly obedient to. Even things like attitude. "Was I not cheerful enough when Bishop Snowjob asked me to clean the toilets for the third weekend in a row, last Sunday?"

The rest is all buzzwords too--each triggering a well-conditioned emotional response.

But, when you sum it all up, it literally means nothing because nobody really knows what constitutes the "doctrine of Christ" that must be obeyed.

You have to take the word of some guy who is not Christ telling you today what he thinks the "doctrine of Christ" is based on some authority that he claims to have, even though he derives that authority from predecessors in previous generations who taught conflicting doctrines as being the "doctrine of Christ."

Dear Mormons, these guys are not giving you anything that is worth 10% of your annual income.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 04, 2018 10:35PM

where would Holland be without Group Adoration?

selling vacuum cleaners? Fuller Brush?

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 05, 2018 01:21AM

Used cars

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: November 05, 2018 01:40AM

He just has that vibe about him. He's the type that likes to be telling other people what they should be doing--and doesn't seem to be bothered by the fact that most of the advice that he gives is either useless or counterproductive.

Date: November 06, 2018 12:13PM

To give Jeffery Holland some credit I thought he was a very good university president. He's a lousy religious leader but he was a good administrator and seemed to enjoy running a university. He really seems kind of miserable being an apostle.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: November 04, 2018 11:47PM

Can I just tell you that I could no more watch 31.59 minutes on YouTube, especially when it's old mormon men speaking at me and not with me.

I love hot rods and custom cars and I love videos about stuff like that, but any more than about 5 minutes, I'm done.

I can't imagine that I actually watched GC on TV, at least occasionally, long before the days of Youtube.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: November 05, 2018 01:28AM

Sorry. Nothing could ever induce me to listen to even 5 minutes of that garbage. Ugh...I feel a PTSD flashback coming on, just thinking about what it would be like to listen to it.

Breathe...where's a paper bag? Where's my cat? Calm down....

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: November 06, 2018 10:46AM

Amen!

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: November 05, 2018 06:20PM

Soooooooooooooooooo B O R I N G. Holland usually is at least more entertaining with his overdone MELODRAMA......he is definitely loosing his touch in this talk anyway.

Posted by: oregon ( )
Date: November 06, 2018 12:10AM

Self Honoring

Date: November 06, 2018 12:00PM

Let me guess. Holland pounded the pulpet Adolf Hitler style and then broke down crying.

Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: November 06, 2018 05:09PM

The first part, featuring Jean Bingham, prior to Jeff's much-anticipated stand-up routine. Women can never be in the starring roles of these events, you know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evl9FzyCuVM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.