Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ApostNate ( )
Date: November 06, 2018 01:51PM

I have 2 friends who's mothers passed away in their 60s and before dying asked their husbands to get sealed to their divorcee, single, mormon best friends because they weren't sealed to anyone, thus handpicking 1 of their eternal sister wives and helping their bffs achieve eternal celestial kingdom glory. In both cases the men married the wives' best friends within 6 months after the wives passed. And yet mormons still deny being polygamists. Anyone else know of any similar cases?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: November 06, 2018 01:58PM

If there is a heaven you should be able to do whatever you want and hang around whoever you want. This whole sealing business is just another bunch of flim flam the church started selling in Nauvoo. Maybe heaven is one big swinger's club. Joseph and Brigham seemed to think so.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 06, 2018 02:00PM

My ancestor Zina swung from Smith to Young. They weren't the ones doing the swinging.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 12:36AM

...a solution to the problem that you created.

Most people who believe in an afterlife don't conceive of it as a place where people are engaged in hormonally-fueled sexual activity to procreate in the same manner that animals (including humans) do on earth. Mormons may deny it consciously. But the Mormon concept of heaven is all about sex. If you're obedient to all of the Mormon rules, you get to keep having sex in heaven. If you don't, you spend all eternity without any sex thrills. So Mormons created the problem (no sex in heaven as a general rule) and are selling the solution (sex in heaven is possible for people who accept Mormonism, pay tithing, follow the prophet, yada yada yada)

They also don't conceive of heaven as a place where God and the angels prevent visitation and contacts between loved ones, requiring special "sealing" and "pass codes" to authorize permitted contacts. (Sounds like a prison camp operation). So Mormons created the problem (forced separation from loved ones in the afterlife) and are selling the solution (contact and connection with loved ones is possible, if you buy the patented Mormon "sealing" ordinance for low, low price of only 10% of your income for life, plus obedience to everything the Mormon leaders tell you to do).

They also don't conceive of heaven as a place where a guy can have a harem (well some do) and ambitiously create his own dynasty through massive procreation efforts. This apparently was a big carrot to old patriarchal, sex-crazed dynasty builders like Brigham Young. So the Mormon-created problem was that you couldn't have sex with dozens of wives and procreate and create a kingdom/empire consisting of your billions of offspring UNLESS you bought into the Mormon plan. But nowadays, I suspect most people don't find this Mormon view of the afterlife as being very appealing.

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 07:19PM

Swinging relationships was very appealing to the young men converts of the past. The average age of
the 12 back in Joes day was less than 30, he didn't promote too many old men back in those days besides his
uncles and daddy. A Harem full of virgins is still very convincing with Islam. But that's an interesting
observation Mormon Terrestrial kingdom is like prison with visitation rights. I've never heard it expressed
that way before ;^)

I wonder if the food sucks too, cowboy suprise every wednesday night, lol!

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 11:04PM

gated community for exceptional people can get permission to visit the losers in the lower kingdoms. Usually, the Celestial Heights people don't bother. But once in awhile, for sentimental reasons, they may choose to look in on a former brother, sister, friend or co-worker who is stuck in one of the lower kingdoms.

The lower kingdom people can only have those kinds of visits.

Conjugal visits, by definition, are of course out of the question for lower kingdom people. (IIRC, according to Mormon doctrine, the resurrected bodies of the lower kingdom people don't even come with the equipment that would be needed for heavenly rutting. The lower kingdom people are like Ken and Barbie dolls...down there...if you know what I mean.)

Interesting point about the average age of the leaders.

Seems like cults run by young-ish, charismatic men always end up becoming obsessed with sex. It explains why polygamy caught on (and was initially used by Joseph Smith as cover for his own adultery and to reward loyal friends).

Brigham Young was prophet for so long that his administration was the one that essentially transitioned the leadership from a young/middle-aged group to the extreme gerontocracy that it is now. Plus, for political reasons, "inspired" selection of succeeding prophets is not possible, since the leader are mostly all ambitious, back-stabbing politicians and businessmen pretending to be spiritual leaders. Things would get way too messy if a "revelation" had to be cooked up to select successors to dead prophets. So succession by seniority is the only workable default they could agree upon in order to prevent successions from turning into ugly messes resulting in frequent splits and splinter groups.

Now all or nearly all of the top leaders are grandpas. They may still have their fantasies, but they're not as hormonally driven as Joseph Smith and his friends were, which is why there is so little energy in the programs and "revelations" that the old guys are putting out there.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 06, 2018 08:57PM

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: November 06, 2018 09:49PM

I knew of some men who did that with their deceased wife's sister. Sick.

A much older generation did this. I don't think the baby-boomer generation does this.

When I was divorced, several Mormon men friends offered to marry me in the temple, out of the goodness of their heart*, and have my children sealed to us, also. I would be with my children for eternity.*

*well, yes, sex would have been involved....

What a scam!

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: November 06, 2018 10:02PM

Mormon men's celestial unions involve a man playing his [BD] 'body anatomy imagination index' card, in this life, when he can still get it [his imagination] up.

M@t

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 07, 2018 03:29AM

if consciousness persists on the other side, I would dearly love to run into my BFF. She has been gone for nearly 4 years now, and I miss her terribly. We were BFFs for 53 years.

Posted by: cftexan ( )
Date: November 07, 2018 10:18PM

I think there are a few religions and cultures where this similiar thing occurs. Muslims do, and I think some native American cultures did so well.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 10:33AM

They were best friends because they didn't live together or share a lovers triangle. Now they've doomed themselves to eternal torment. Such are the ways of mortal fools.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 11:04AM

We had a couple in our ward in Orem who married a month to the day after first wife (supposedly bff of 2nd wife) died. However Wife 2 was a divorcee (active, already had been through temple). I don't know if Wife 1 had a say in that. I think it's more likely that there had been plenty of hanky panky while they were both "lovingly" attending to dying wife and it was "how long do we have to wait to make it look even slightly ethical?"

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 10:41PM

ApostNate Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...mormons still deny being polygamists.

Serial monogamists, just like many non-Mormons.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 09, 2018 06:41AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.