Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 06, 2018 02:54PM

Prior post....On the subject of LDS Temple sealings, intro, and references, quotes - Official Doctrine from D&C 132 - Temple marriage/sealing is Plurality of Wives.

NOTE: this is some of my personal analysis, personal experience and if any one is sensitive or might be offended to quotes from the temple ceremony, do not read any further.

On the subject of LDS temple sealings/marriage.
I will preface my comments with this introduction:

Understanding Mormonism...
Mormonism, in my long experience and observation is more accurately described as a patriarchal, generational, cultural, religious tribe. In fact the word: tribe is used in their lexicon. As a convert, I was considered an adopted member of the tribe. Considering how tribes manifest, it is, in my view, the best way to understand how Mormonism creates a whole paradigm for the individual in a familial, societal, religious context aka tribe.

This system, including everything in their teachings/doctrines is not just earthly in their view, it's Eternal.
That is the core for their World View and how they incorporate their extended family.
Everything in the life of a truly believing, testimony bearing, totally immersed, temple attending, generational Mormon is about their goal to live Eternal Life in the Celestial Kingdom together as a family.

This is the context that their view of their Eternal family functions. Therefore, their lives among their family is geared around the rituals/ceremonies-costumes: blessings, baptisms, priesthood advancement for the boys, missions, temple marriages,"Callings" etc, and around and around it goes.

This is my perspective dealing with LDS temple marriage, based on my many years of experience and observation as a member and as a former member:

1. The first basic principle: Anyone can choose any kind of marriage they want. There are many reasons why people might not be invited to a wedding/marriage. I can respect the right to have any kind of marriage/wedding/reception that the couple chooses.
2. The LDS temple sealing is a traditional religious ceremony- custom that does not follow any other traditional type of wedding/marriage.
Because I know exactly what goes on in the temple,in the ceremonies/rituals,I am not interested, as a former member, in attending any part of their temple ceremonies rituals.
Been there done that: married in the temple in 1962 as a young adult convert of just over a year. Only our mothers were present plus two witnesses from my husband's mission days. We traveled from Portland, OR to Logan, UT.
Yes, the temple can be and is a very different kind of place with it's symbolic rituals that are not explained ahead of time.
It is an exclusive sealing ceremony, in a small room,(only a few to maybe 30-50 may attend). It is not a traditional wedding/marriage that others are familiar with. It's a very short sealing ceremony traditional to the LDS Church.
3. Because I know what the sealing ceremony is all about, I don't need to attend and would be OK with waiting with children (they are not invited) or others, without a temple recommend, either in a waiting room inside the temple, or outside on the temple grounds, weather permitting. Again, their choice is theirs.
4. After the temple ceremonies are completed. An LDS Reception can vary widely, often there are two of them to accommodate the two families that live in different areas. We have put on two, and attended many.

This is what works for me. Others have their own personal views and opinions and perspectives that work for them.
I have given myself permission to try on different ideas and perspectives to find my own comfort level. That is an evolutionary process.

The next part of this post is on the basis for the traditional religious temple sealing customs and some history from prior posts. Note the short sealing ceremony with only one sentence that actually follows the requirements of the license and completes the marriage contract.

The LDS Church doctrine for temple celestial marriage: Links
This is the basis for temple marriage for eternity.
Celestial Marriage = New and Everlasting Covenant of Marriage which is Plurality of Wives...

This is the official doctrine/teaching of the LDS Church.
Can't get any more doctrinal than their own scriptures.

New and Everlasting Covenant of Marriage is Plurality of Wives/ Celestial Marriage - This is the covenant that is practiced in the Temples everywhere in the world. Anyone who marries in the temple marries into this covenant of plurality of wives or Celestial Marriage

Intro to D&C 132
Revelation given through Joseph Smith the Prophet, at Nauvoo, Illinois, recorded July 12, 1843, relating to the new and everlasting covenant, including the eternity of the marriage covenant, as also plurality of wives. HC 5: 501–507. Although the revelation was recorded in 1843, it is evident from the historical records that the doctrines and principles involved in this revelation had been known by the Prophet since 1831.

1–6, Exaltation is gained through the new and everlasting covenant; 7–14, The terms and conditions of that covenant are set forth; 15–20, Celestial marriage and a continuation of the family unit enable men to become gods; 21–25, The strait and narrow way that leads to eternal lives; 26–27, Law given relative to blasphemy against the Holy Ghost; 28–39, Promises of eternal increase and exaltation made to prophets and saints in all ages; 40–47, Joseph Smith is given the power to bind and seal on earth and in heaven; 48–50, The Lord seals upon him his exaltation; 51–57, Emma Smith is counseled to be faithful and true; 58–66, Laws governing the plurality of wives are set forth.

http://scriptures.lds.org/dc/132

Eternal Marriage Chapter 38
Lesson from Gospel Principles
"In the celestial glory there are three heavens or degrees;
"And in order to obtain the highest, a man must enter into this order of the priesthood [meaning the new and everlasting covenant of marriage];

http://www.lds.org/library/display/0,4945,11-1-13-48,00.html

Section on the temple covenants that comprise parts of the endowment and the actual marriage ceremony and the D&C 132 references that support the doctrine of eternal marriage or the New and Everlasting Covenant which is Plurality of Wives.

Question I have asked myself: Married in the temple, to each other, are you sure?

After passing two interviews to get the temple recommend-- (see Temple Recommend Questions here: http://www.lds-mormon.com/veilworker/recommend.shtml,) either on the day of the marriage, or earlier, and going through the Endowment Ceremony: Washing and Anointing ceremony where the Holy Garment of the Priesthood (notice ladies, you wear the same garment of the Holy Priesthood!), is placed on you and covenanting to obey:
The Law of Obedience
The Law of Sacrifice
The Law of the Gospel
The Law of Chastity
The Law of Consecration --which is:(I am only including this particular one on this post as it has it directly applies to the marriage covenant.)

A couple will now come to the altar. We are instructed to give unto you the Law of Consecration as contained in the book of Doctrine and Covenants, in connection with the Law of the Gospel and the Law of Sacrifice which you have already received.

It is that you do consecrate yourselves, your time, talents, and everything with which the Lord has blessed you, or with which he may bless you, to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, for the building up of the Kingdom of God on the earth and for the establishment of Zion.

All arise. Each of you bring your right arm to the square.
You and each of you covenant and promise before God, angels, and these witnesses at this altar, that you do accept the Law of Consecration as contained in the Doctrine and Covenants, in that you do consecrate yourselves, your time, talents, and everything with which the Lord has blessed you, or with which he may bless you, to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, for the building up of the Kingdom of God on the earth and for the establishment of Zion.

Each of you bow your head and say "yes."

Then and only then may you be sealed in the marriage ceremony.
Here is the ceremony.
Sometimes, the officiator will allow an exchange of rings at the end of the ceremony, and a kiss.
(I don't know the current policy on this practice. Maybe someone else does.)

Officiator: Brother ______, [naming groom] and Sister ______, [naming bride] please join hands in the Patriarchal Grip or Sure Sign of the Nail.

Marriage Couple:
Joins hands in the "Patriarchal Grip, or Sure Sign of the Nail."This token is given by clasping the right hands, interlocking the little fingers and placing the tip of the forefinger upon the center of the wrist. No clothing should interfere with the contact of the forefinger upon the wrist.

Officiator: Brother ______, do you take Sister ______ by the right hand and receive her unto yourself to be your lawful and wedded wife for time and all eternity, with a covenant and promise that you will observe and keep all the laws, rites, and ordinances pertaining to this Holy Order of Matrimony in the New and Everlasting Covenant, and this you do in the presence of God, angels, and these witnesses of your own free will and choice?

Groom: Yes.

Officiator: Sister ______ do you take brother ______ by the right hand and give yourself to him to be his lawful and wedded wife, and for him to be your lawful and wedded husband, for time and all eternity, with a covenant and promise that you will observe and keep all the laws, rites and ordinances pertaining to this Holy Order of Matrimony in the New and Everlasting Covenant, and this you do in the presence of God, angels, and these witnesses of your own free will and choice?

Bride: Yes.

Officiator:
By virtue of the Holy Priesthood and the authority vested in me, I pronounce you ______, and ______, legally and lawfully husband and wife for time and all eternity, and I seal upon you the blessings of the holy resurrection with power to come forth in the morning of the first resurrection clothed in glory, immortality and eternal lives, and I seal upon you the blessings of kingdoms, thrones, principalities, powers, dominions and exaltations, with all the blessings of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and say unto you: be fruitful and multiply and replenish the earth that you may have joy and rejoicing in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.

All these blessings, together with all the blessings appertaining unto the New and Everlasting Covenant, I seal upon you by virtue of the Holy Priesthood, through your faithfulness, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, Amen.

The Temple Officiator performing the temple sealing give a talk on marriage, etc.

To make sure everyone understands exactly what the "New and Everlasting Covenant" is, see: D&C 132

REFERENCE for easy reading: http://scriptures.lds.org/dc/132

Revelation given through Joseph Smith the Prophet, at Nauvoo, Illinois, recorded July 12, 1843, relating to the new and everlasting covenant, including the eternity of the marriage covenant, as also plurality of wives. HC 5: 501—507.
Although the revelation was recorded in 1843, it is evident from the historical records that the doctrines and principles involved in this revelation had been known by the Prophet since 1831.

Did you notice that the marriage sealing ceremony not only continues the practice of polygamy, and because of the covenant of the Law of Consecration, married you to the church and it's commandments by covenant, not each other, except in one small section that is a sealing ceremony? Note that this is not a traditional marriage as most of us know it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.