Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 07, 2018 09:12AM

53% of them passed the initiative yesterday ... though it still has to get past the legislature. When medical science and faith collide !

"Regardless of the final outcome of the vote, however, state lawmakers are expected to convene soon in an effort to pass a compromise bill agreed to by major supporters and opponents of Proposition 2, effectively replacing the ballot initiative."

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900040703/medical-marijuana-has-53-percent-support-from-voters-as-results-roll-in.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: November 07, 2018 10:39AM

Yes, at least some of us in Utah can think and reason and vote logically, :D but the state lawmakers are all LDS and it's pretty plain that TSCC is going to meddle in this and get their way, no matter what. Sometimes I think that Utah is a Theocratic little kingdom of it's own.

Date: November 07, 2018 10:43AM

I'm neither for nor against it. If it helps people in chronic pain, then I guess I would be for it. It isn't something I've had to vote on where we live.

What I'd like to see Utah do is A) lower its speed limit a tad. 80 mph on the interstate seems excessive to me because of the heavy traffic there. And B) introduce a state lottery that would incorporate the Mega Ball and Powerball so people won't need to drive across the border into other states to pick up tickets when the jackpot swells ginormous.

:)

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: November 07, 2018 10:58AM

"...so people won't need to drive across the border into other states to pick up tickets..."

Nope! That would take away a source of revenue for Idaho. Plus, it's a nice source of cognitive dissonance for believing Mormons when they buy the tickets. :D

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 07, 2018 09:08PM

Wonder of wonders, miracle of miracles!

Medical cannabis is legal in my State, and since I have a significant number of body parts that creak and ache, I tried it for a while.

I refuse to smoke anything (and I think weed tastes nasty anyway,) and the oils, while effective at causing some degree of sedation, were not impressive. The edibles have potential. My daughter, who knows a thing or two about cannabis, warned me when I bought a "peppermint patty" at the weed store,to cut it into quarters and take a while to consume them.

I got absorbed in something I was doing on the computer, forgot daughter's instructions, and popped the entire thing into my mouth. The strong pepperminty flavor absolutely masked any hint of that weedy taste. When I tried to get up from my desk, I couldn't budge.

My daughter says that this state is referred to as being "couch-locked." She thought it was hilarious. After a while, I was able to get up and move around.

Overall, I was not especially impressed with the pain relief I got from the weed, plus when your doctors know that you are using it (even legally) they may pester you half to death with urine checks even if you go in for, say, a sinus infection. I got very tired of that. I made a point of telling them that I had let my card expire.

Now, I use opioids (yes, I use the correct word now, as much as I would prefer to say "opiates.") and my rule there is, "Not a pill goes down the throat unless the notebook gets a note." So I always know what I've taken and when I took it. I got an impromptu urine test once, to be sure that I wasn't abusing the painkillers, and I was actually offended. Once, in two or three years, I took a pill six minutes ahead of schedule. Other than that, my conscience is clear.

I don't consider myself "addicted." If I didn't hurt, I wouldn't take the stuff at all, and my notebook reflects this. I am grateful for the pain relief that allows me to remain functional.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: November 07, 2018 10:58AM

Utah:

Can the legislature alter or void what voters passed?

I believe here (Washington) the leg. has to wait 2(?) years to alter or nullify a voter-approved initiative.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: November 07, 2018 12:32PM

Of course they can. This is Utahzikstan. Run by theocrats.They already have plans to gut Prop 2. To be fair, Prop 2 has language to allow for a Legislative compromise. It was put on the ballot by voter initiatives because the Legislature refused to act for the past 3 years. This forces them to negotiate. People will now be able to get MMJ without a "6 months left to live" diagnosis. But, you watch, in typical Utah, mormon fashion, they'll make it so difficult and expensive (just like the DABC) that Utahn's will end up driving to CO and NV, thus Utah loses tax dollars. There's never been a situation that Utah mormon lawmakers can't make 10 times more cumbersome and complicated than need be.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 07, 2018 11:17AM

The 800 pound gorilla in Utah politics is apparently down to 650 pounds or so. LDS Inc really wanted to crush this. They failed.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: November 07, 2018 12:45PM

LDS Inc. loves to tout inflated numbers, 15 million members (though only about 5 million active), 64% of Utah is mormon (counting those that left 30 years ago-but never resigned), 91% of the Legislature (more like 85%). However, if they want to stick by the 64% of Utahn's, then a lot of members disobeyed the prophet and the church and voted FOR Prop 2. Or, more likely, most mormons voted against, but many didn't vote and they're not 64% of total Utahn's.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: November 07, 2018 12:56PM

The resolution wasn't a non binding resolution it was binding. The legislature can restrict access to make it quasi inaccessible but they cannot remove the legality of using marijuana for medical purposes.

This was a spectacular win for Utah, marijuana aside it shows that there is a growing movement away from voting your religion.

Posted by: baaaaadam5 ( )
Date: November 07, 2018 03:00PM

Idaho is the final island now. A CBD oil bust just happened here in Pocatello. This place is ridiculous. Let me repeat that, a CBD oil bust happened in Pocatello, not a marijuana bust.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 07, 2018 04:19PM

Damn that is stupid. But it is a private island that Southern Idaho.

Posted by: baaaaadam5 ( )
Date: November 07, 2018 04:23PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Damn that is stupid. But it is a private island
> that Southern Idaho.

Yes it is. The people here make me feel smart.

Posted by: k ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 07:25PM

Northern Idaho might as well be in another state (Washington) because we are all for marijuana not only for medical purposes but also recreational use. Just like my neighbor eight (8) miles away - Washington State.

We have no political clout due to a smaller population than south and southeast Idaho.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 07, 2018 10:31PM

“Evans said she later found out from Zilis that the CBD oil she had been selling had .0175 percent THC.”

Apparently Idaho doesn’t have any actual criminals.

Date: November 07, 2018 04:20PM

Missouri passed a medical marijuana voters initiative. Both places are considered holy by Mormons. Is it....Satan? Or Jehovah?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2018 04:20PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: November 07, 2018 04:23PM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 53% of them passed the initiative yesterday ...
> though it still has to get past the legislature.
> When medical science and faith collide !

.......when the people's interest collides with the money and control interest of LD$ inc...... its time to tax that corporation !!!!

Date: November 07, 2018 04:24PM

"When medical science and faith collide !"

It is more when compassion and care collide with collusion and control.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2018 04:24PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 07, 2018 09:26PM

They are attaching a lot of restrictions on who and use it and for what and who can grow it and who cannot.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 07, 2018 09:57PM

If the Utah initiative people bounced this back to the legislature, WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?

seriously folks, the leg. controlled by ChurchCo?

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 12:29AM

“Following the Savior Jesus Christ, relieving human pain and suffering, while protecting children, truly is at the heart of our interest in this matter.”

Does that include protecting children from stupid cults?

Date: November 08, 2018 06:13AM

Even Mormons aren't immune from illness or disease.

Until medical science finds cures to prevent illness the remedies and tonics are sometimes all we (including them,) have.

I wouldn't want to use it medicinally. One size doesn't fit all.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 08:44AM

At least that's what TBM FIL remarked while we were visiting him in UT this past August.

"They want to make marijuana legal in Utah but the Mormons won't let them".

A very oddly worded comment, clearly it was directed towards DH and I, the only non-Mormons in the room.

I find it oddly gratifying that not only was he wrong, but he he used the word "Mormon" as well.

LOL

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 12:44PM

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 11:58AM

If recreation marijuana was legalized in Utah, can you imagine the off the wall prophecies that Nelson could conjure up?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 02:05PM

Yeah, if high Nelson might reduce church to two hours.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.