Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 07, 2018 03:52PM

Oh, boy how wrong this journalist was in less than one year!

"Russell M. Nelson, the new leader of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, isn't expected to move the church in major new directions, church members and activists said Tuesday."
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/religion/noted-heart-surgeon-russell-nelson-unlikely-transform-mormon-church-new-n838216

Russell has made Mormons more socially updated with ministering. He has brought old and young men together in a unified quorum. He has giving sister missionaries leadership rolls over themselves. He has completely de-ick-ified The Temple Initiatory. He has reduced the time people have to attend church and he has completely nullified this meme.

https://www.amazon.com/Cant-Im-Mormon-Funny-Tshirt/dp/B075MVGNF1

Poor jayheard1

"jayheard1
5.0 out of 5 stars
Five Stars
October 30, 2017
Fit Type: MenColor: CranberrySize: Male XLVerified Purchase
Great convo starter and fits well."

And after all, how could the journalist doubt Nelson. He is a mover and a shaker in the world!

"President Nelson is in the Who’s Who in the World, Who’s Who in America, and Who’s Who in Religion—meaning he was important enough to be listed as one of the most influential people in the world."
https://www.lds.org/youth/article/11-things-you-didnt-know-about-president-nelson?lang=eng

Incidentally, the fact that the "Who's Who in the World" came from lds.org gave me pause. I mean I was taught "in but not of" and here they are promoting him like a candidate for high office. He already got the job. This kind of sycophantic fawning has always bothered me. I can imagine it has been the stock on many shelves like it was on mine.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: c ( )
Date: November 07, 2018 04:05PM

Sure he's influential but in my opinion he didn't earn it, and most likely everyone will forget about him and his new "revelations" in a short decade. Rusty inherited his position and so far he hasn't done anything to benefit LDS inc. He can rebrand Mormonism all he wants but it's still going to stay Mormonism for everyone but his devoted followers. I'd like to see Nelson actually do something about LGBT suicides in the church and the many many other problems instead of going "mormons? I'm glad we don't have anything to do with those homophobic peices of shit."

Date: November 07, 2018 04:13PM

Yes, in regards to the end of the article, Nelson will not change the status quo for all his members who fall into the hierarchy's hate. And that is what it is and shown in the PropHate push.

Nothing is going to change these old abusive men.

Posted by: baaaaadam5 ( )
Date: November 07, 2018 04:13PM

c Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sure he's influential but in my opinion he didn't
> earn it, and most likely everyone will forget
> about him and his new "revelations" in a short
> decade. Rusty inherited his position and so far he
> hasn't done anything to benefit LDS inc. He can
> rebrand Mormonism all he wants but it's still
> going to stay Mormonism for everyone but his
> devoted followers. I'd like to see Nelson actually
> do something about LGBT suicides in the church and
> the many many other problems instead of going
> "mormons? I'm glad we don't have anything to do
> with those homophobic peices of shit."

They will avoid addressing all the suicides they cause like a plague. Coming from someone that attempted at least five times in life. Mormonism and Mormons are the cause of suicides in their religion. They can pretend they aren't the cause forever but everybody knows that religion turns people against themselves.

Date: November 07, 2018 04:17PM

baaaaadam5 Wrote:
> They can pretend they aren't the cause
> forever but everybody knows that religion turns
> people against themselves.

I would suggest not all religion does. For sure, self flagellation either mental, physical, or suicidal from religious beliefs and social pressures is a horrific thing and all too common.

Date: November 08, 2018 01:18AM

Elder Berry Wrote:
> baaaaadam5 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > They can pretend they aren't the cause
> > forever but everybody knows that religion turns
> > people against themselves.
>
> I would suggest not all religion does. For sure,
> self flagellation either mental, physical, or
> suicidal from religious beliefs and social
> pressures is a horrific thing and all too common.

Well I haven't been in any other religion so you may be right about other religions not being the cause.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 01:40AM

Just standard caretaker stuff, hyped up as "revelation".

He didn't even change the name of the Church. All he has done is command people from using the informal nickname that has been used throughout the history of the church because it's shorter and easier to use than the official name. He change the name of the tabernacle choir. No big deal or change of direction.

The rest of the "changes" are common indications of managerial downsizing. Putting old guys together with younger guys by getting rid of separate meetings for old guys? I guess that's something. I don't know what. But it's something.

The "leadership" roles of sister missionaries? Don't know much about that. Probably just means they don't have to be subordinate to younger guy missionaries just because the younger guy missionaries have "priesthood authority". But they still will be answerable to the Mission President, who will always be a guy. This may be sort of a good thing. But nothing earth shattering. Not even eggshell shattering.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: November 07, 2018 07:26PM

in b 4 ~ RIP in peace "I.cant.Im.Mormon.Girl.gif" ~

http://famousmormons.info/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/I-Cant-Im-Mormon.png

ziller will always love you bae ~

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 07, 2018 09:05PM

He broke out the defibrillator. I still think the patient will flatline.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: November 07, 2018 09:32PM

I hardly call the changes that Nelson as implemented as transforming.

My guess is that the journalist was speaking in terms of doctrines, not policies

Date: November 08, 2018 01:48AM

making changes in dormitory rules.

"From now on, we are not the 'Ivy House'. That's a nickname that does not reflect the true name of our dormitory. It's the "Esmerelda B. Blatterman House" in memory of the generous donation that built this dormitory. Do not refer to the dormitory as the 'Ivy House' in any future documents or letters. Use the correct name.

"From now on, we are reducing the number of dormitory meetings per month."

"From now on, the dormitory will no longer help sponsor the annual dorm pageants. And we strongly urge dorm residents to refrain from continuing with such pageants.

----

It's all stuff like that. Same type of crap that new management tries out in every kind of organization that has ever existed. I'm sure that every time the "Church of Scientology" or "Church of Satan" gets a new leader, they experience similar types of administrative/housekeeping changes.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 07, 2018 09:48PM

If Nelson & his posse would focus on assuring that tscc stick to & comply with their own claims & stated standards, THAT WOULD IMPROVE THE CHURCH & ITS MEMBERS.

but I haven't seen that.

Date: November 08, 2018 01:28AM

I haven't been keeping up on the ongoing restoration that mainly restores by deleting.

They've been chipping away at the temple rituals for about a century now. Not going to be much left. Did they do away with the zombie chant session around the altar?

Funny how most of what Joseph Smith and Brigham Young "restored" turned out to be stuff that needed to be deleted.

Date: November 08, 2018 01:32AM

as a kind of transformation. But if he continues this mode of transformation, there will be nothing left in the house but empty space. Not saying that wouldn't be an improvement. But getting rid of garbage does not require divine inspiration.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 02:26AM

Perhaps Nelson is unhappy/concerned with the trajectory he sees in ChurchCo & Morland, and is reacting to it the only way he understands as possible.

- declining birth rates, older marriages

- perhaps declining activity rates, tithing revenue

- others?

some would label this as a modern 'retrenchment' as they did in the early days.
If he suggests that members get re-baptized...

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 04:57AM

The transformation I'd like to see is for everyone to get a distribution check at the end of the year instead of having to pay at the end of the year. I mean god already owns everything, right? we are only stewards, right? So why do mormon leaders even have a tithing requirement?

Date: November 08, 2018 12:35PM

anono this week Wrote:
> The transformation I'd like to see is for everyone
> to get a distribution check at the end of the year
> instead of having to pay at the end of the year. I
> mean god already owns everything, right? we are
> only stewards, right? So why do mormon leaders
> even have a tithing requirement?

God has had money problems for as long as I have been alive I know that much. Its like giving money to a gambling addict. You know you are going to keep paying the guy every month.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 08:28AM

Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 12:04PM

Rusty is trying to define his presidency. The two previous profits have given him some big shoes to fill.

Monson: Widows & Wiggling Ears
Hinckley: Earrings & "I don't know that we teach that."

Date: November 08, 2018 12:35PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
> He has completely de-ick-ified The Temple Initiatory.

Now I hear one gets completely dressed up in the temple garb-age putting on their own new underwear before getting anointed with oil and water only on their heads.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.