Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 01:58PM

Didn't really want to go to the Polynesian Cultural Center, but it was on the wife's schedule; lots of Hawaiian shirts with garments underneath in hot tropical weather and "modest" unauthentic costumes.
We ended up with about 45 minutes to kill before the big evening show and a senior missionary pointed out the tram to the temple so we figured "What the hell"; there very few people on board so two young sisters missionaries glommed on to us when we arrived, an Okinawan and a South Korean. I didn't have the guts to tell them that their church was hogwash (it would have made for an uncomfortable visit) but when they realized I knew a LOT about TSCC they wondered why I wasn't a member and asked what I felt when I read the BoM. I simply said it "just wasn't a good fit for me". I did turn the tables and asked what they felt reading it and got the usual rote testimony.

Bottom line: they were so young and so naive I couldn't put the hammer down.

After we left I told my wife that I had failed to have something up my sleeve that might plant a seed to crack their shelf (in a nice way) and realized that I should asked something like why, if all Polynesians are actually "Israelites", then why do they celebrate their culture at the PCC? It certainly has nothing to do with ancient Jewish traditions or beliefs, and they obviously are descended from Asia, not only from DNA, but just by looking them.

I'm sure I would have gotten more rote testimony.

P.S. The fire dancers were terrific.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: PollyDee ( )
Date: November 09, 2018 01:33AM

Yeah! Best fire dance in the Islands! Aside from the Mormons' blatant exploitation of students, missionaries, and tourists, the PCC is a good, basic introduction to the people and culture of the Polynesian Islands. It does provide jobs for the students and the local Polynesian population by bringing the area a good share of tourism - the number one industry in Hawaii.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: November 09, 2018 02:21AM

I might have let them have it, even if they didn´t want it... but since they asked for it*.

I have a *testimony* too, only mine is true.

M@t

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: November 09, 2018 02:49AM

You should have said we came here to experience Polynesian culture not to get a lecture on a 19th century cult that started in upstate New York.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 09, 2018 12:12PM

Love it. How many other cultural centers have they created for countries they have invaded?

Date: November 09, 2018 12:27PM

Wow. Just found this article--this should be proof that Jesus does NOT lead the church, otherwise the Prophet™ could have have simply "inquired of the Lord" where East Asian people came from, and find out from God that they are humans like everyone else. Be prepared for blatant racism if you read the article:
https://juvenileinstructor.org/another-other-asian-race-and-lds-theological-change-part-ichinese/

Posted by: Sharapata ( )
Date: November 09, 2018 12:43PM

I was there too recently and was shocked that the buffet dinner had Nescafe and iced tea among its beverage selections. Does Nelson know about these blatant Word of Wisdom violations on the Lard's Hawaiian theme park?

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: November 09, 2018 12:47PM

If it brings in the tourist dollars I'm sure he is OK with the exception. However EVERY other luau I have been to in Hawaii is better than this one.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: November 09, 2018 03:37PM

I guess tea is the limit there!

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: November 09, 2018 05:50PM

The markup on a glass of Lipton tea loaded with ice has to be tremendous. How could LDS, Inc. watch those dollars slip through their fingers? Better yet, they could grow their own tea and have the students plant, harvest, process it!!

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: November 09, 2018 12:58PM

I think some of the other dinner events on the island are better than the PCC. It's just a money maker for the church. That's the bottom line.

Posted by: SpongeBob SquareGarments ( )
Date: November 09, 2018 01:35PM

The Polynesian Cultural Center is a great show - no doubt about that.

I also really like the food you can buy outside the place in their parking lot. It is the best deal in Hawaii. A huge plate of food (fish) that foods two and inexpensive. Whenever I have gone to Hawaii, I eat there as much as I can.

If only the Church would do more things like this...

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: November 09, 2018 03:26PM

I'm a little surprised the church hasn't shut this down yet. I'm sure people are having a little too much fun.

Date: November 09, 2018 05:51PM

Too much loud laughter? Oh! No!

Date: November 09, 2018 04:15PM

Something amusing to me was the bottle Starbucks Mocha I could have bought right there in the PCC.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: November 09, 2018 04:35PM

"You know a lot about The Church®. Why aren't you a member?"

"Because I know a lot about your church."

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: November 09, 2018 04:41PM

Ha! Perfect!

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: November 09, 2018 04:52PM

...why isn't a Jack In The Box, Taco Bell, or a KFC franchisee trying to get market share over there at a nearby venue? Maybe the Church would take a huge hit, and has local City planners creating economic no-go zones around the Center. I would eat there vs. the overpriced Hawaiian pig.....

Date: November 09, 2018 06:03PM

Maybe wine spritzers will be next on the menu. The reviews might be higher.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: November 11, 2018 02:49PM

if you didn't go to the pcc you might of been able to avoid Mormons entirely. I just got back from nyc. not one Mormon was spotted, only my mother, who must of been the most obese person in manhatten with her masonic underwear peeking out was the only Mormon I knew of. i'm pretty skinny so I fit in, but my mom's sways from side to when she walks. it was cold !!! everyone in winter coats but my mom is sweating bullets and just wearing a light sweater. I wish she would lose weight

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.