Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 04:54PM

She has evacuated and could take very little with her. She doesn't drive and could only carry a backpack to walk to a bus. At least she has her required medication.

I'm sad for her.

This is the Camp Fire blaze. It started very near her town of Paradise where everyone must leave. Her little town is the hardest hit.

She doesn't know where she'll sleep tonight but has had several invitations from friends in Chico and Sacramento.

It's scary and heartbreaking.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 05:00PM

Oh, Cheryl, I am so sorry!!!!

This kind of hits "home" for me: Paradise is where the mother of my sister's husband lived from before the time my sister went to college (Chico), until her mother-in-law died.

I wish I could do something to help, and I am sorry I cannot.

I hope her house (and the other houses) are saved by a change in wind direction. This has happened many times before, and I hope it happens today.

:(

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 05:21PM

That has got to be frustrating and heartbreaking. I'm so sorry for your daughter and your family. I'm so glad she's getting to a safe place.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 05:43PM

I'm so sorry, Cheryl. I wish I could do something to help. Love and hugs to you. (((())))))

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 05:52PM

That sucks. News said fire was was the burning the length of a football field every three seconds due to the wind. I can empathize as we were in the middle of the Thomas Fire, which burned an acre per second. The firemen pulled off some miracles down here, but stood by at other times and did nothing, so let's hope for the former.....

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 05:54PM

Cheryl, don't give up. I lived in the Ventura hills. CA firefighters are the best in the world in protecting structures. Unless the winds really get crazy, your daughter has a decent chance that her home will survive.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 05:56PM

Wow Cheryl - Please keep us informed. I am sorry she is going through this.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 05:56PM

I, too, hope your daughter's home is spared. So happy she is safe.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 06:25PM

I'm terribly sorry, Cheryl. That's heartbreaking. At least she is safe.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 08:30PM

Oh Cheryl! No no no. You must be just frantic. Is she alone? I wish I knew some way to help. I will be watching the fire. Please let us know as soon as you hear from her. I will keep a close eye on this thread for any updates you might get.

You two give each other a big hug from us. {HUGZ}

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 09:02PM

Watching the news was scary seeing how fast it was. People were having trouble leaving. I'm so sorry for everyone there and especially your daughter. Hoping for the best.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 09:35PM

I’m so sorry.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 09:38PM

I’m so sorry to hear what your daughter is going through! Hopefully her house will be safe. So glad that she’s got a place to go to. {{{hugs to you guys}}}

Posted by: JenMikell ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 09:47PM

Cheryl, I am so sorry. Cousins on my husband's side of the family lost their home in Paradise. Sending my love.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 10:59PM

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: November 09, 2018 12:31AM

Oh, Cheryl, I’m so sorry.
My nephew’s house is gone.
Thank God they are both safe.
DH’s Chico daughter is heading to our house.
Several lives lost. :(

Posted by: Recovered Molly Mo ( )
Date: November 09, 2018 12:39AM

I am so sorry and my heart goes out to you. I am 150 miles away from this flyer and we are experiencing the same High winds . Last year was 20 miles away from Napa Valley fires in many of my friends lost their homes . In tears tonight thinking more people would be subjected to this tragedy . RMM

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 09, 2018 12:55AM

Cheryl, I'm beyond sorry to hear about your daughter's plight!!

I left CA before the mega-fires became an ongoing ordeal. There was one in the very early 60s that we could see on the far side of the El Cajon Valley from our house in Fletcher Hills. That was close enough.

Please continue to let us know how your daughter is faring. We care!!

Date: November 09, 2018 01:10AM

Cheryl, has your daughter found some lodging?

Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: November 09, 2018 02:29AM

So very sorry to hear this sad news. I hope your daughter finds safety and comfort in the arms of her friends.

Date: November 09, 2018 08:58AM

She had a darling kitty and a bunny. They're gone to a terrible end. How scary and miserable for them. My daughter hoped she could go back for them, but she couldn't carry them with her when she fled on foot to the bus stop. Thankfully, she saved her own life. I'm grateful for that and sad for the ones who died as their homes burned.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 09, 2018 11:06AM

I'm sorry for the loss of her home and her pets, Cheryl. At least she is safe.

Date: November 09, 2018 01:50PM

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: November 09, 2018 09:08AM

How terrible for your daughter. I can't imagine what this must be like. Sending best wishes and hoping her pets will be spared.

Tom in Paris

Posted by: BrightAqua ( )
Date: November 09, 2018 11:16AM

My cousin and his wife are safe, but they lost everything. The whole town is gone.

Date: November 09, 2018 11:28AM

I'm glad for anyone who escaped that hell. And I'm so sad for the people and animals who died there.

Date: November 09, 2018 03:19PM

Cheryl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm glad for anyone who escaped that hell. And I'm
> so sad for the people and animals who died there.

Yes. I am sorry for the people who died and for everyone's losses.

And I am always, always, so aware of the animals, whether they were beloved companions, or wildlife.

I am glad your daughter got out okay.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2018 03:21PM by Tevai.

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: November 09, 2018 12:03PM

So sorry about this. The continual fires have devastated so much of the state, and destroyed so many homes and businesses. The Camp Fire burned so fast. I'm glad your daughter got out safely.

TG

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 09, 2018 01:45PM

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: November 09, 2018 03:05PM

I'm so sorry, Cheryl. It's a relief that she's safe, but the loss is still tremendous.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 09, 2018 04:09PM

This is tragic.

Date: November 09, 2018 04:19PM

Most horrifying footage I’ve ever seen.
Paradise is largely a retirement community. Lots of people looking for their grandparents.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 09, 2018 04:30PM

OMG, Cheryl. That is just heartbreaking. I'm so sorry for the loss of your daughter's home, her cherished pets, and all her belongings. That has to be devastating.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: November 09, 2018 05:18PM

That's dreadful news, Cheryl.

I was in Northern California (Santa Clara) for a short two day trip last week.

So sad to hear of these dreadful fires.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: November 09, 2018 05:50PM

Oh Cheryl,...

Please keep us informed. I haven´t been watching the news on the California fires recently.

Keep meaning to get back there to visit a friend in (Pair-O-Dice) [the town name´s original spelling-meaning] Paradise. I don know how to reach him but will be aware now and watch the news-today. I have other friends throughout the region. Thinking of folks in the situation your daughter is in and surely hoping for the best.

Take care-

M@t

Date: November 09, 2018 06:09PM

I watched the news on the link above...
And then this one too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo9XmV8hJNY

OmG

Thoughts and Prayers

Posted by: kativicky ( )
Date: November 09, 2018 05:54PM

Holy crap!!! I am so sorry to hear this. Please keep up posted!!! Sending you and your daughter hugs!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 09, 2018 06:09PM

Most terrible for those residents. Such a beautiful area and sad that so much burned so quickly.

Date: November 09, 2018 06:18PM

I am so sad today Cheryl :(

Date: November 10, 2018 05:34PM

Any news today? Thoughts...

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 10, 2018 05:39PM

This is a horrible day for so many. Hope you sister, Cheryl, can find someplace to stay and live.
I live between the two big fire areas, closer to the one out of Ventura than the one that destroyed Paridise. Our air is smokey and not good.
So sorry for the loss and devastation. So many are helping and doing all they can. Thank goodness for all the fire fighters and others that are helping.

Date: November 10, 2018 05:42PM

That's what's been so freaky about these fires. They've been happening with more frequency and in places people would not expect them to.

Maybe a face mask would help your air quality where you are meanwhile?

Date: November 10, 2018 05:55PM

SusieQ#1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I live between the two big fire areas, closer to
> the one out of Ventura than the one that destroyed
> Paridise. Our air is smokey and not good.

I got sick last night from breathing our smoke here. I Googled, and a person CAN get poisoned from breathing in smoke from a house fire.

You might think about a face mask (they're available at any drug store) until the smoke clears.

Date: November 10, 2018 05:51PM

My daughter is staying with friends in Sacramento for now.

Her phone isn't working today. I'm waiting for updates and contact information.

Date: November 10, 2018 05:57PM

Cheryl,

I'm thinking about your daughter and you.

Date: November 10, 2018 06:32PM

Date: November 11, 2018 12:20AM

I am so glad you heard from her Cheryl. I hope she gets the phone fixed ASAP.

Date: November 11, 2018 02:31PM

Glad she's alright - alive and well - Cheryl.
Hoping for the best- and if she's lost all/ much, that when comes the time,
Perhaps we could be of assistance in helping her to outfit-up in starting home again.
Please give me your thoughts. Maybe we could email. Keep us posted.

Thoughts, to you, her, all.

M@t

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: November 10, 2018 08:10PM

So very sorry to hear this. :(

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: November 11, 2018 01:04AM

I'm so sorry about Cheryl's daughter and the others in California. My brother, now deceased, used to live in Paradise. It was such a cute little town. We would stay with my brother, but for large family reunions, we would stay at the Lantern Motel in Paradise. I saw a photo of the Black Bear Diner in flames, but have no idea if my brother's old house is still standing.

There were a lot of Mormons in Paradise, and 2 ward houses, that I know of. Most of my brother's friends there were retirees, with lovely homes. We used to drive all over those hills. It's hard to believe that so much of it has been destroyed. So upsetting!!!
Everyone we knew there is safe, and only two, that we know about, have lost their homes in my brother's area....

The maps and reports aren't very exact right now--they have enough to worry about!

My brother had to evacuate from there twice before. Evidently, everyone knows which roads to take. It is amazing so many got out, thank Dog! My brother gave to his children all his valuable paintings, and he used to mail them copies of all his important paperwork. He kept his yard very clear! I wonder how much good that would do, in a fire like this. What a precarious way to live.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: November 11, 2018 01:43AM

Just found out both Mormon churches burned down, and also my brother's beautiful Paradise house, which he sold 4 years ago.

Won't be able to sleep tonight....

Date: November 11, 2018 02:22PM

Thanks for the news exminion.

Thinking of all that we know/ knew and love in lovely Paradise/ anywhere, in California and elsewhere, that have suffered/ lost/ perished in these devastating fires.

It's weighing heavy on my mind today.lately

Date: November 12, 2018 07:01AM

The flames engulfed her neighborhood before anyone suggested residents ought to leave.

A nurse in the local hospital saw flames in the parking lot and she is the one who said they should evacuate. Trouble was, she was alone with twelve elderly patients who needed to go into ambulances immediately.

When she's on her feet, she plans to make an issue of this.

PG&E needs to do a better job with their wires. I've seen them muck up jobs in my neighborhood and this seems to be the cause of the Camp Fire blaze. Anyone with missing loved ones is now required to provide a DNA sample because it's the only way to identify remains.

Date: November 12, 2018 07:09AM

I am so so sorry Cheryl. I hope they do dig into the exact cause of all of this.

Date: November 12, 2018 08:17AM

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: November 12, 2018 09:20PM

Glad your daughter is OK. You're right about PG&E. They're saying the SoCal fire was possibly started by SC Ed breakers catching fire. SC Ed is also the ones that caused the devastating Thomas fire in Ventura, last year. Someone needs their butts kicked.

Date: November 12, 2018 07:16AM

Good to hear your daughter got out safely and is with friends.

Her world is turned upside down, but she's alive.

Posted by: Paintingnotloggedin ( )
Date: November 12, 2018 09:07PM

So glad your daughter evacuated safely down the hill . gladly she us at least breathing in safer air quality tonight. ( The Enterprise-Record article stared Pmi 2.5 at 995 or 950 Friday night whatever was the top of the scale.) Do you need help or will she need help establishing another residence now? Links

Whatever is the cause it is beyond tragedy for all of the residents

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 04:55AM

It's heartbreaking.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 08:29AM

Seeing the devastation on the news alone is horrifying.

I can't imagine what it felt like trying to escape (and not being able to for many). My heart breaks for everyone dealing with the fire impact. My heart breaks for the terrified animals involved.

The firefighters must be tired and sad.

It's just tragic.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.