Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 06:22PM

While waiting for something to process at work I got lost down this Mormon rabid conspiracy rabbit hole.

https://www.mormonchronicle.com/waking-up-to-secret-combinations-an-lds-perspective-on-conspiracy/

And in the comments Rob was piled upon like mad. IT was an epic Mormon pile on.

"Rob Osborn says:
May 29, 2011 at 2:53 pm
And yet, in our present day, our current prophet has said nothing concerning some “secret combination” or conspiracy from some unseen force overthrowing our government.
I don’t buy it. Sorry."
https://www.mormonchronicle.com/waking-up-to-secret-combinations-an-lds-perspective-on-conspiracy/#comment-285

Is being Mormon synonymous with being a conspiracy theorist? Is it part and parcel of being a die-in-the-garments member?

I get that probably a huge majority of Mormons aren't conspiracy theorist inclined. But this article and the comments bring a huge defense to the theory that to be Mormon you have to have an us and them mentality and not just a Us against The World but a Us against the U.S. and the rest of the world?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 06:30PM

You need a hobby, my friend.

Date: November 08, 2018 06:32PM

LOL! I need to be more industrious at work. I'm part of a grand conspiracy to be less industrious now that I no longer claim Mormonism.

Date: November 08, 2018 06:34PM

And you need to submit an entry for the Short Story Contest. I would love to read something creative from you.

Date: November 08, 2018 06:35PM

I would write but I am too busy smuggling drugs across the border.

Date: November 08, 2018 06:40PM

Darn it! I was in the mood for something ho-made and sweet to read.

Date: November 08, 2018 06:41PM

This comingling of threads has got to stop. It's like eating chicken and eggs at the same meal, or mixing fibers in one's clothing.

ETA: Or, heaven forfend, eating shellfish!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2018 06:44PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: November 08, 2018 06:56PM

Beef and dairy.

Date: November 08, 2018 07:03PM

A cheeseburger.

The horror, the horror.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 06:42PM

Very interesting. I'm happy to see someone following the Mormon political discourse of real people. The PR shills in SLC really try their hardest to monopolize that aspect of Mormonism. It's a rich and crazy heritage that only the marginalized are willing to consider at this point.

I don't think anyone thinks of the conflict as "Us vs. the US." In their minds, they're trying to save the US--its laws, constitution, population, culture, even its currency--from intolerable manipulation by sweeping policies enacted without public discussion.

Date: November 08, 2018 06:56PM

Historischer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't think anyone thinks of the conflict as "Us
> vs. the US." In their minds, they're trying to
> save the US--its laws, constitution, population,
> culture, even its currency--from intolerable
> manipulation by sweeping policies enacted without
> public discussion.

Well, they should clean their own house before the one on The Hill. The Mormon Church is infamous for "manipulation by" politics "enacted without public discussion."

Date: November 09, 2018 12:05PM

Is being Mormon synonymous with being a conspiracy theorist? Is it part and parcel of being a die-in-the-garments member?

IS it? My experiences with Mormons is that only a minority are conspiracy theorists. But am I wrong in this? Is there some kind of subliminal and somewhat reactionary unconsciousness programing for Mormons to be conspiracy-minded?

In my experiences even non conspiracy theorist Mormons are sympathetic to their conspiracy co-religionists.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: November 09, 2018 02:33PM

Oh, if you REALLY want to go down the rabbit hole, try www.ldsfreedomforum.com

Date: November 09, 2018 06:09PM

Shudders. I've been there. I don't think they represent the average Mormon but after reading the link in my original post I began to wonder if they are the standard and regular members just tacitly agree with all that crazy stuff?

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: November 09, 2018 06:39PM

I know my TBM FIL is a major conspiracy theorist... Brasscheck TV (youtube) and Freedom First Society, etc

He sends out mass emails to 'enlighten' us all. It's ridiculous, incredibly annoying, and has made me question his touch on reality.

Date: November 09, 2018 06:46PM

dogeatdog Wrote:
> It's ridiculous, incredibly annoying, and has made
> me question his touch on reality.

This is the meat of this post. Is it a normal for Mormons, that which causes you to question a Mormon's sanity?

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: November 09, 2018 07:05PM

Mormons and conspiracy theorists both think that they know something most people don't and think there's a shadowy cabal out to get them.

The levels can vary between fantasies of being a heroic whistleblower and paranoid delusions. Either way, get help.

Date: November 12, 2018 01:09PM

ookami Wrote:
> Mormons and conspiracy theorists both think that
> they know something most people don't and think
> there's a shadowy cabal out to get them.

It is something that props up self importance I think. Instead of seeing their church as a personal belief structure to help them to their heaven, they are in some kind of celestial war for the souls of "men."

Of course they require "special information" because without it they wouldn't know how bad they have it here in the promised land. They are the modern descendants of Manifest Destiny and they have to protect their homesteading/squatter pioneer predecessors who fought for their right to carve out a Celestial Kingdom in the First People's lands.

They are the only reason God hasn't torched this holy place like Sodom and Gomorra.

That was my indoctrination.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.