Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: seriosly though ( )
Date: November 12, 2018 03:37PM

Why are mormons so dishonest?

Is it because they are lazy? And in order to show leadership they steal to sho "Blessings"?

Is it because they are so uneducated they think theft is o.k?

Is it because of their lack of education they live in constant fear of being their ability to talk to "their" God - joeseph Smith if they don't Pray Pay and Obey?

What gives? Why are Mormons so dishonest?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: November 12, 2018 03:56PM

OK, I'll be first:

I'll bet that Mo's are probably the same ratio as any other segment of society as far as dishonesty goes, but having said that, the question is: why aren't they most honest people on Earth?

Having said that, the very first LA TV commercial I ever did was done by a non-union guy and he stiffed me. Yup. Mormon.

A list of just a few of the things about the mormon mindset that could make 'em dishonest:

1.) Lying for the Lord. We are superior.

2.) We have the Restored Gospel™. We are clever. We are superior to Gentiles.

3.) We have a bunch of kids and are broke, but have a big house and a garage full of jet ski's, so...hey, what if those numbers are fudged a bit?

4.) God allows us to be dishonest, and besides we are gods in embryo (see #'s 1 and 2).

5.) Missionaries are out there hustling & trying almost *anything* to make a sale...errr....convert people.

6.) The founders, JS, BY and many others weren't very honest.

Posted by: Guy3 ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 08:08PM

agreed with above, majority of people are just as dishonest. there was a Superstore episode on this topic of people being good and honest. the manager, who was a loving Christian who believed people were good. the assistant, an atheist, believed that people are horible and are only held together by social pressures. they have an "amnesty day" where people can confess to management bad things without any reprecussions. it turned out everyone were dishonest thieves who consistently did horrible things.

after 3 years as a criminal defense attorney, i agree with the assistant manager, most people are jerks but are good at hiding it.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: November 12, 2018 03:58PM

seriosly though Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why are mormons so dishonest? ...
>
> What gives? Why are Mormons so dishonest?

It's the way they are taught (by their [mis]leaders).
Their 'church' isn't true, so why should they be?

See?

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: November 12, 2018 03:58PM

Those are sweeping generalizations, to be honest.
Lazy? Uneducated?

Sounds like you have specific issues with a/some Mormons, and are guilty of projecting it on to all.

That is like saying...."All Jews are...." "All blacks are...." "All Muslims are....".... "All Italians are...."

See where you are going wrong?

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: November 12, 2018 04:00PM

"seriosly though",

Are you new here? Or have you changed your handle for this post alone?

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: November 12, 2018 04:23PM

If this is someone who changed his/her handle for this post--isn't that being a bit dishonest?

Posted by: logged off today ( )
Date: November 12, 2018 04:09PM

In many ways, lying is the fuel of mormonism.

Many mormons lie to their bishops in order to receive and keep temple recommends.

For those who served missions, just about everyone lied about their numbers to keep the mission leaders off their backs.

In order to maintain the façade of prosperous, righteous living, and hold onto their standing in the ward, many mormons will lie about their financial situation.

It's all about appearances in mormonism. Avoid the appearance of evil, but show off the appearance of righteousness.

It simply becomes habitual and second nature to them.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 12, 2018 06:17PM

> In order to maintain the façade of
> prosperous, righteous living, and
> hold onto their standing in the ward,
> many mormons will lie about their
> financial situation ...

...and lie, cheat and steal to improve their financial situation so that people will assume ghawd is blessing them for their righteousness.

And I wonder if some mormons think that if they are 'rich' (no matter how they do it), it means that ghawd is cool with them, else wouldn't he have taught them a lesson?

In a 'prosperity gospel', being prosperous means you and your ghawd are in tune.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: November 12, 2018 04:18PM

Tell me what you think being dishonest is and I'll answer your question.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: November 12, 2018 04:22PM

To me, the question really is, "Why are Mormons just as dishonest as everyone else."

What really is the point of having God's truth or even believing you have the truth if it doesn't make you a BETTER person than your average non-Mormon?

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 12:33PM

as a whole are, on average, likely to be more honest in their dealings with other people than the average for general society as a whole. That trusting nature is what makes them attractive targets for scammers and liars...and to some extent explains why you often come across sleazy scam artists (wolves in sheep's clothing) being highly active conducting their business in and among the flock.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 12, 2018 04:24PM

Because the church culture is always hedging on most everything in sight.

Beginning with the murder of Laban, hasn't stopped.

Graphics depicting the 'translation' of the BoM

If ChurchCo was Honest, they wouldn't need to hide their finances or how membership stats are determined, or what the real numbers are.

In short, no more mysteries.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2018 04:25PM by GNPE.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 12, 2018 05:40PM

What experience(s) made you come to this conclusion?

I know that a number of board members have soured on doing business with TBMs, but I'd be interested to know what brought you to this point.

Date: November 12, 2018 05:56PM

is your question to everyone or just to me?

an org or an individual doesn't need an expensive PR firm to tell the truth:

Barbara Kingsolver: “The truth needs so little Rehearsal”

The Truth is no longer hidden; now people are hiding from the truth.

We all need to know what it means to be Honest. Honesty is more than not lying. It is truth telling, truth speaking, truth living, and truth loving. James E Faust.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2018 06:01PM by GNPE.

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: November 12, 2018 06:08PM

GNPE Wrote:
> is your question to everyone or just to me?
>
>
> an org or an individual doesn't need an expensive
> PR firm to tell the truth:
>
>
> Barbara Kingsolver: “The truth needs so little
> Rehearsal”
>
> The Truth is no longer hidden; now people are
> hiding from the truth.
>
> We all need to know what it means to be Honest.
> Honesty is more than not lying. It is truth
> telling, truth speaking, truth living, and truth
> loving. James E Faust.

So are you equating Mormonism the organization with the Mormons as individuals?

I don't find Mormons the members to be more or less dishonest than anyone else in my personal dealings. I think the institutional church has much dishonesty and how it presents itself and what its history and doctrine is.

But the title is about the members not the institutional church.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 12, 2018 06:27PM

I agree with the faulty generalization comments.

That said, it bears remembering that the institutional church, in many ways, fosters and encourages dishonesty.

Members are encouraged to put on a positive appearance (especially to investigators), whether they're feeling that way or not. They're encouraged to "love bomb" investigators (and wayward apostates), only to ignore them later on. That's dishonest.

Members are encouraged to not talk about certain doctrines or matters of church history -- the excuse is "milk before meat," but that's rank dishonesty.

Members are encouraged to say they "know" things they don't know, and simply believe. That's dishonesty.

It's not dishonest to say what you believe, no matter how ridiculous it is. It IS dishonest to claim that what you believe is the one and only god's-own truth, and that you know that for a fact -- when you haven't got a shred of evidence to back it up.

There are reasons Utah is the scam-MLM capital of the US. There are reasons Utah is the depression-meds-abuse capital of the US. At least one of those reasons is that mormonism is so chock-full of dishonesty that many of its members take dishonesty as "gospel." For some, the mental discord between the church teaching honesty, while encouraging and promoting dishonesty, is too much. For others, the mental discord is ignored, and they happily join in scams taking advantage of others.

There are indeed honest mormons. Some of them are terrific people who'd be welcome in any social circle, and are deep down to their core good, honest, kind people.

I find them to be the exception rather than the rule, sadly. And it's not surprising when you see what their church foists on them.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: November 12, 2018 07:05PM

"just remember, it's not a lie if you believe it"

George Costanza

I think that most Mormons believe themselves to be honest. I also believe that most Mormons feel a level of regret or remorse when they say something that they don't totally believe. However they have been taught that the regret and remorse are there to motivate them to really believe what they are saying. So back to George.

Is it a lie if you want to believe what you are saying?

Date: November 12, 2018 07:35PM

at least to the Q of 'why aren't they More Honest' than they are / than others are:

Mormonism is wretchedly focused on obedience, not around love.

sounds simple, is simple.

a loving individual doesn't deceive others, neither does an organization (built around faith, kindness, respect).

I have given a partial summary of how ChurchCo has used deceit to achieve its goals, need not to repeat or rehash.

Love hasn't been the guiding principle for - in ChurchCo for longer than most of us can remember..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2018 08:06PM by GNPE.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 12, 2018 07:55PM

More of them are sincerely deluded.

It's the ones who're dishonest who led them astray.

Then you have the blind leading the blind, and it becomes generational.

Date: November 13, 2018 06:31PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2018 06:31PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 02:17PM

Lying for the Lord is a fine art to.MORmONs.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 03:49PM

I think the church organization puts its members into situations that are abnormal and unhealthy; especially with its "worthy" interviews. On one level, the church [used] to brag that the leaders if in tune with the spirit could discern (magically) if a member was being dishonest. Now, try to imagine the power one feels when you can successfully lie through any LDS worthy interview.

The big test is whether you can lie to go through the Lord's house aka the temple and not have the walls collapse on you. I lied about being morally clean before going for my endowment. With all the stories that are circulated about people (pre-internet days) about being driven from the temple because they were impure, liars or tried to defile the temple. So I was scared out my wits that Hurricane strength winds would blow me out or that I would be struck by lightning. But that's what mormons figure out: that lying either keeps the leaders off your back and it helps you acquire wealth.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 07:38PM

messygoop Wrote:
> Now, try to imagine
> the power one feels when you can successfully lie
> through any LDS worthy interview.

I don't have to imagine...I did it. As a test. The bishop failed. I felt bad about it for a while...then I didn't, because I realized he (and the church) had lied about the magical power of discernment, and I proved it.

> The big test is whether you can lie to go through
> the Lord's house aka the temple and not have the
> walls collapse on you.

Yeah, I did *that* too. No collapsing walls.
I had already left the church, but hadn't told anyone. My brother was getting married in the SLC temple. I didn't have a temple recommend, and I wasn't going to go pretend to believe to get one.

So I went to the wedding anyway. Pretended I'd forgotten my recommend back in Calif. My TBM brother, step-dad, and uncle (who was a church big-wig) all vouched for me, being a recently-returned, entirely-worthy, incapable of deceiving the temple guardian about having a valid recommend young man. And so I got into the belly of the beast by deception one last time. It was ridiculously easy.

Of course, that was before they went all computer-modern and stuff (1981). Which they did, of course, because their power of discernment is a joke, and they know it, so they needed to not "trust" their members, and have technology be the discernment thing. :)

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 04:00PM

Thus we secure the temple lockers with Strong Locks!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 04:28PM

GNPE1 Wrote:
> Thus we secure the temple lockers with Strong
> Locks!

I know others have shared about having their personal clothing stolen. I think someone had their shoes stolen!

I had the sash swiped. I took everything out to check the stuff. Some people walked by and then it disappeared. Had to check out another set.

Date: November 13, 2018 06:31PM

A LDS landlady who lived upstairs from me at the time worked at a shoe store in my hometown. She would tell me about the returned missionaries she worked with who would routinely steal petty cash from the cash register, and that it would constantly come up short.

They pretended to be stalwart Mormons, but stealing what they could on the side to give themselves a 'pay raise.' It frustrated her to no end because the owner didn't hold them accountable or take her seriously when she'd report it.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 14, 2018 06:41PM

What do you expect? The religion was started by crooks.

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: November 14, 2018 07:22PM

This is the reason why I would suggest LDS Inc does not have near the money people think.

Mormonism is the world’s guiding light of mortgage, insurance, and securities fraud- yet we never hear of LDS Inc being the victim of embezzlement.

I would guess pallets of LDS money are continously going to un named persons while the masses talk about LDS senior executives having relatively small forgiven loans.

Not to mention, empires are very expensive to run. Utilities and insurance alone on thier real estate empire must be staggering while income must be greatly reduced to members quitting and having fewer children.

Date: November 15, 2018 05:14PM

It's in their genes: geneology!

M@t

Posted by: readwrite-NLI ( )
Date: November 16, 2018 10:00PM

What choice do they have?

They want to be just like their 'leaders'.

Date: November 16, 2018 10:10PM

Because, by & large, they're rewarded for it!

Positive Reinforcement / Operant Conditioning

Posted by: Notelling ( )
Date: November 16, 2018 10:19PM

Maybe because they are expected to live up to "unrealistic" expectations and can't so they have no choice but to lie.

Posted by: kilgravmaga ( )
Date: November 17, 2018 04:27AM

Overall, I think mormons do okay as far as day to day honesty. You can trust most of them not to steal your rake, etc.

But, they have been taught that to be honest is to be punished. They go through a series of interviews wherein if they screw up in the least little bit and actually tell the bishop/authority the truth, there is a very good chance they will be punished and possibly humiliated in front of friends and family.

examples:

1. Young men being asked if they have every masturbated. Unless their is something wrong with them, the answer is going to be "Yes". But, if they are foolish enough to say so, then the bishop tells them they are unworthy and need to overcome their sin. They are made to feel very badily about themselves. The alternative is a little white lie.

2. You are asked if you pay your tithing in full. You pay a lot to the church, maybe its only 8%. But, if you say you aren't a full tithe payer, you might as well not have paid anything. Screw it... too much hassle. You don't want to lose your temple recommend,( if you are employed by the church you could lose your job without a rec.) so you say "Yes".

Just two examples, but for every Mormon there are hundreds of little cases like this. They all build up and form a habit. IMO, a mormon can't be in good standing and be completely honest at the same time. No one is perfect.

Date: November 17, 2018 11:33PM

The most devout TBM's I know are mostly just stubborn, bullheaded, and opinionated to a fault.

And sincerely deluded.

But not outright dishonest. I see the church leaders are more dishonest for perpetuating a fraud, because they have constructed the web of lies so well, they have to be in on it to some degree. But not so much the laypeople..

Date: November 18, 2018 10:49PM

Can you blame them? Yes. That's the easy part. But...
Can they blame themselves? Yes, but they won't/ don't.

They watch the [mis]leaders every day, and listen to them (lying), and want to grow [up] down to be just like them.

M@t

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.