Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mormon nomore ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 04:08AM

Is life a random set of unlikely probabilities made to confound every current discipline?

Or is it a half-baked creation left to atrophy, revealing that God has Alzheimer's?

No matter what I plan, it morphs into a spectacular dud.

How do you see life?

Does it make much sense, of do you think it confirms the fact that only one fact actually exists?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we53TOJyt78&list=RDwe53TOJyt78&start_radio=1

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 05:11AM

I think we as a species are just like other animals. The big difference is that we know our time on the planet is limited.

No big "purpose", we just are, for a little while.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: November 14, 2018 08:12PM

I agree. Aren’t we lucky to have this opportunity?

Posted by: pain ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 05:43AM

enjoy the coffee. heat water make good tea.

make music or love or art *garden art farm production art animal horticulture art 3 d printing art surgical precision healing art teaching art engineering design art construction application concrete and steel art engine repair art loom weaving art cotton production farming art airplane operation art land reclaimation art ocean going vessel operation art blossom human artistry in so many capacity*
while you are on the earth plane a while.

run skip jump wobble or roll
along
a while create & be
connecting healing loving competing creating or throw another pot.

I think life can be a lot of different things.

Posted by: paintingnotloggedin ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 05:52AM

that we are are more than we appear, better, more profound, skilled, even to ourselves we may not know or be aware of the skills & the strengths which may rise up among us despite rigors of our physical life cycle amongst planet both economic and ecosystem rigor we may experience. Despite this challenge I think there is a point to life. It is to love and be despite physical rigor challenges both within one's internal body individually and group experience in environment / dual challenges rock this obstacle course one calls 'life'...but I still think there's a point.

Despite being simply an animal with cognition, a deluxe monkey lol on the planet there is cognition or emotion and its an engine of many things. Almost magical that I wasn't born a fly and I notice it!

ps autocorrect cancelled my name on the last post. sorry about it

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 01:14PM

No problem, paintinginthewin--we knew it was you, anyway! I love your posts!!!!!

I just looked down the posting lists, and Amyjo posted the exact poem I was going to quote, when I read the title of this thread! I really was. It's my favorite, and I can't read it without crying.

Add to that: I love life! (Especially, now my life is unfettered by Mormonism and abusive Mormon husbands.) I love being born a (now non-Mormon) female and raising children! I love nature, and feel that we are "one" with this planet and the universe beyond. The concept of "God" makes no difference to me. Life is what it is, and there's a lot of flexibility (if we are free) within its limitations.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 01:26PM

It is NOT "lazy" to have a sense of wonder--and miraculousness--about life. This is appreciating life!

Bamboozled's wife and many other Mormons I know, don't appreciate life enough, so they concentrate on the "next life."

(BTW, this is probably the only life we'll ever have.)

Posted by: dwindler ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 06:36AM

Man plans
God laughs

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 06:43AM

I sort of like life. Especially when I think about the alternative.

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 08:36AM

There is no "plan". Life and the Universe just are. That is all.

We impose "meaning" like a protective answer to a Rorschach blot. Eventually our species will go extinct or be replaced by a more adaptive one. I, for one, will simply enjoy my 80+ cycles around the sun by loving those who love me. Eating good food, making new friends, filling my brain with as many truths as possible, and visiting new places. My hope is to die with few regrets and many happy memories.

HH =)

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 08:41AM

I think its a set of random probabilities that we might have just a little influence on. Life is lived out on how we react and cope with the cards we are dealt.

Bamboozled's 3 laws of life:

Be nice.
Make lemonade out of the lemons.
Roll with life. Stop trying to force reality to conform to your expectations.

My wife, who is a perpetually miserable and negative person, constantly bemoans the fact that reality doesn't conform to her demands. Thus, she is never happy and never will be.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 08:55AM

I thought that was pretty telling about what he really believes.

I just don't know what to think of life. It has been nothing like I anticipated it would be when I was young. The statement, "Life is what happens while we're making plans" has been the truest statement of my life. Nothing in my life has gone as I planned. I don't plan any longer. I just have to go with the flow. It works better.

The thing I can't tolerate is all the cruelty in life. I hate the cruelty to animals and children. If there is a God, I don't understand that this is a possibility he thought was okay. I can't even stand to drive from my little town to Logan as I see so many dead deer. I try to think of them being in a better place than this one, wherever that might be, but even that makes me extremely sad. The fires in California and the suffering there. When Cheryl said her daughter lost her cat and rabbit in the fire, it just ripped my heart out. It made me think no matter where I live that I better be prepared to take my dogs with me as I could never leave them behind as it would kill me.

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 10:57AM

I couldn't agree more. The proper place to hunt for God's mercies is NOT where man does the mercies and God gets the credit; but, rather where god has the field to himself. If there is a God, then he's a dick.

HH =)

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 09:19AM

I rather enjoy it.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 09:32AM

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 09:36AM

According to my Secret Decoder Ring, the secret to life is “Drink your Ovaltine”.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 10:23AM

You could do a lot worse than starting your day with chocolaty, malty goodness in milk...:) Maybe that *is* the secret to life!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 14, 2018 11:39AM

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 10:04AM

Life is like the ocean. No matter how well you ride one giant wave, there's another one coming with a shark this time.

Then sometimes life is like running down a mountain with a giant boulder rolling after you and you just have to keep running or be crushed.

Then once in a rare while, for an hour or a day, your favorite things gang up on you and give you a party. But the Boulder and the Giant Wave are both coming on fast right after to clean up.

However, for me personally--life is like a game of cards. You never know what hand you will be dealt so you better be ready to strategize at a moment's notice.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 10:41AM

I thank God for each new day. Because it is fleeting.

It's a beautiful world despite the ugliness. Maybe we wouldn't appreciate the good if there wasn't so much evil in the world.

One of my favorite scriptures because it resonates with life so well comes from Eccl 9:11 "Again I saw that under the sun the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, nor bread to the wise, nor riches to the intelligent, nor favor to those with knowledge, but time and chance happen to them all.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 10:51AM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Eccl 9:11 "Again I
> saw that under the sun the race is not to the
> swift, nor the battle to the strong, nor bread to
> the wise, nor riches to the intelligent, nor favor
> to those with knowledge, but time and chance
> happen to them all.

Exactly!! The Bell-shaped Curve!! Viewed from the outside, life is a crap shoot.

Date: November 14, 2018 11:50AM

TSCC supplied me with enough crap for several lifetimes.

Date: November 13, 2018 10:55AM

Life in itself is a miracle. It's a miracle to be alive.

Date: November 13, 2018 10:58AM

Okay, okay!

Life is a miraculous crap shoot.

Date: November 13, 2018 11:03AM

And then we die.

And that ... remains the biggest mystery of all.

Maybe our birth was a death from a previous life. So our dying may be the same ie, a new birth.

Date: November 13, 2018 02:38PM

Amoeba probably have more permanence in the Universe.

Date: November 14, 2018 11:54AM

Exactly. The how and the why don’t need to be understood when it’s seen as a wonderful miracle. We are one God with 7 billion faces.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 11:04AM

Smart question.

“The lower a man is in an intellectual respect, the less puzzling and mysterious existence itself is to him; on the contrary, everything, how it is and that it is, seems to him a matter of course.”

--The World as Will and Representation--
--Arthur Schopenhauer--

As for your plans coming up as duds, here's Einstein paraphrasing Schopenhauer:

"Man can do what he wills but he cannot will what he wills."

It's not your fault.

Human

Date: November 13, 2018 11:49AM

Thanks for that quote, Human. Very though provoking which I appreciate in a thread that is starting to get over run with the saccharine where everything is a miracle or a blessing.

The more you experience the more you understand--well most of us. The higher you climb the broader the view--for those who bothered to climb. . And at the heights you get to see the whole picture, some of which is beautiful and some of which is very unsettling. The unsettling part for me is often the part I have absolutely no control over. (Take government for instance--forgive me mods for I know not what I say.)

I think taking things as a blessing or a miracle is lazy. It isn't being the human that you could be. It isn't being the human who dives full in and does the heavy lifting. It isn't being the human who twists their heart like a Rubik's cube until they care what they see in the hearts of others and feel we are all in this together and not God's favorites.

That is what that Schopenhauer quote made me think. I loved it.

Date: November 13, 2018 02:23PM

Although I have different thoughts than yours, I still appreciate yours!

When I was struggling with Mormonism, I heard Joseph Campbell paraphrase Schopenhauer’s thought that Life is something that should not have been and should not be. I was gob-smacked. How could someone say such a thing, let alone think it? The nihilism frightened me. But I kept thinking about it and wanted to know why he thought it.

Reading Schopenhauer, or at least trying my best to read Schopenhauer, no matter how inadequately, even badly, helped me open my mind and heart to what I was fearing most: if the Mormon god is real then god is evil.

Then I went on to the Journal of Discourses and the old Church History volumes and reread the D&C with better context. Yep, holy shit but yep, there is no doubt: this Mormon god is evil.

So from that point on, even if this Mormon story is 100 percent true and real and how things are, I knew I couldn’t be a part of it, and was willing to suffer the consequences of it.

Posted by: Mormonenonpiu ( )
Date: November 14, 2018 03:44PM

Why limit evil to the Mormon God? After coming to my realization reading the bible again, reading any mythology in fact, brought me to the point where all gods settled in to the barbaric stone and Bronze Age imaginations that created them. As an aside, reading the BofM after my enlightening was an eye opening experience. How can a religion that spouts family harmony, eternal togetherness and all read and worship the dis functionality that is portrayed by Lehi's family?

Date: November 15, 2018 11:51AM

Well, I was writing about how I looked at things when I was 20, thirty years ago. The Bible seemed remote and the Book of Mormon, no matter how hard I tried to believe otherwise, seemed cartoonish.

Now, at 50, the Bible fascinates and the Book of Mormon is simply a sad waste of paper. Also, I now place evil squarely on the shoulders of humankind. That’s the burden we carry, alas. Shifting that burden to God or gods is shifting the burden from one shoulder to the other, all the while pretending that the load isn’t there.

Human

Date: November 15, 2018 01:10PM

"Also, I now place evil squarely on the shoulders of humankind."

What? No scary Adversary?!? No horns? No cloven hooves? No fancy priesthood apron?

Taking responsibility for ourselves? Let's not get rash there!

:)

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 15, 2018 04:39PM

I want to thank you guys in this sub-thread for raising serious issues. Schopenhauer had a major impact on Nietzsche, who observed that life is a species of death. Thomas Mann then expanded on that.

Their point was that death rules everywhere; infinite space, infinite planets, very little "life" that we have seen. It almost certainly exists in some number of places, but it is the exception. Moreover, life is merely a temporary arrangement of particles and forces that more usually belong to non-life. Life comes into existence in some places for short periods of time, measured geologically or cosmically, and then returns, as always, to death.

Life is sort of a six sigma event, if we speak in EOD's curved terms. And it ceases both individually and collectively, perhaps one day universally through universal implosion. Where does any species of death find transcendent or lasting meaning? It is easier if one assumes that life is a distinct and durable feature of physics rather than the empirically correct view that it is an exceptional and temporary arrangement of death. Then one can posit a God or reincarnation, an assumption that Occam would rule out as unnecessary to explain what evidently "is."

But the realization that life is a species of death frees one from the need to find a Storm God to give life meaning; it allows the individual to define terms for herself. And then one can reach the conclusion that the BoM isn't even a good fraud and that the Bible, particularly the OT, is absolutely fascinating as mythology and epic literature. So too the Vedic literature and the Upanishads: profound psychological schemas that result in some practices that appear to have emotional and physical benefits without requiring strict adherence to some ontology.

What do I think about life? I think about it all the time and yet have reached very few conclusions. And while it would be wrong to speak of life's "purpose," since that implies someone or something is "purposing," perhaps we can say that life is intelligent life's principal intellectual and emotional preoccupation.

Life is introspection.

Date: November 13, 2018 11:13AM

Ode: Intimations of Immortality from Recollections of Early Childhood
BY WILLIAM WORDSWORTH

There was a time when meadow, grove, and stream,
The earth, and every common sight,
To me did seem
Apparelled in celestial light,
The glory and the freshness of a dream.
It is not now as it hath been of yore;—
Turn wheresoe'er I may,
By night or day.
The things which I have seen I now can see no more.

The Rainbow comes and goes,
And lovely is the Rose,
The Moon doth with delight
Look round her when the heavens are bare,
Waters on a starry night
Are beautiful and fair;
The sunshine is a glorious birth;
But yet I know, where'er I go,
That there hath past away a glory from the earth.

Now, while the birds thus sing a joyous song,
And while the young lambs bound
As to the tabor's sound,
To me alone there came a thought of grief:
A timely utterance gave that thought relief,
And I again am strong:
The cataracts blow their trumpets from the steep;
No more shall grief of mine the season wrong;
I hear the Echoes through the mountains throng,
The Winds come to me from the fields of sleep,
And all the earth is gay;
Land and sea
Give themselves up to jollity,
And with the heart of May
Doth every Beast keep holiday;—
Thou Child of Joy,
Shout round me, let me hear thy shouts, thou happy Shepherd-boy.

Ye blessèd creatures, I have heard the call
Ye to each other make; I see
The heavens laugh with you in your jubilee;
My heart is at your festival,
My head hath its coronal,
The fulness of your bliss, I feel—I feel it all.
Oh evil day! if I were sullen
While Earth herself is adorning,
This sweet May-morning,
And the Children are culling
On every side,
In a thousand valleys far and wide,
Fresh flowers; while the sun shines warm,
And the Babe leaps up on his Mother's arm:—
I hear, I hear, with joy I hear!
—But there's a Tree, of many, one,
A single field which I have looked upon,
Both of them speak of something that is gone;
The Pansy at my feet
Doth the same tale repeat:
Whither is fled the visionary gleam?
Where is it now, the glory and the dream?

Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting:
The Soul that rises with us, our life's Star,
Hath had elsewhere its setting,
And cometh from afar:
Not in entire forgetfulness,
And not in utter nakedness,
But trailing clouds of glory do we come
From God, who is our home:
Heaven lies about us in our infancy!
Shades of the prison-house begin to close
Upon the growing Boy,
But he beholds the light, and whence it flows,
He sees it in his joy;
The Youth, who daily farther from the east
Must travel, still is Nature's Priest,
And by the vision splendid
Is on his way attended;
At length the Man perceives it die away,
And fade into the light of common day.

Earth fills her lap with pleasures of her own;
Yearnings she hath in her own natural kind,
And, even with something of a Mother's mind,
And no unworthy aim,
The homely Nurse doth all she can
To make her Foster-child, her Inmate Man,
Forget the glories he hath known,
And that imperial palace whence he came.

Behold the Child among his new-born blisses,
A six years' Darling of a pigmy size!
See, where 'mid work of his own hand he lies,
Fretted by sallies of his mother's kisses,
With light upon him from his father's eyes!
See, at his feet, some little plan or chart,
Some fragment from his dream of human life,
Shaped by himself with newly-learn{e}d art
A wedding or a festival,
A mourning or a funeral;
And this hath now his heart,
And unto this he frames his song:
Then will he fit his tongue
To dialogues of business, love, or strife;
But it will not be long
Ere this be thrown aside,
And with new joy and pride
The little Actor cons another part;
Filling from time to time his "humorous stage"
With all the Persons, down to palsied Age,
That Life brings with her in her equipage;
As if his whole vocation
Were endless imitation.

Thou, whose exterior semblance doth belie
Thy Soul's immensity;
Thou best Philosopher, who yet dost keep
Thy heritage, thou Eye among the blind,
That, deaf and silent, read'st the eternal deep,
Haunted for ever by the eternal mind,—
Mighty Prophet! Seer blest!
On whom those truths do rest,
Which we are toiling all our lives to find,
In darkness lost, the darkness of the grave;
Thou, over whom thy Immortality
Broods like the Day, a Master o'er a Slave,
A Presence which is not to be put by;
Thou little Child, yet glorious in the might
Of heaven-born freedom on thy being's height,
Why with such earnest pains dost thou provoke
The years to bring the inevitable yoke,
Thus blindly with thy blessedness at strife?
Full soon thy Soul shall have her earthly freight,
And custom lie upon thee with a weight,
Heavy as frost, and deep almost as life!

O joy! that in our embers
Is something that doth live,
That Nature yet remembers
What was so fugitive!
The thought of our past years in me doth breed
Perpetual benediction: not indeed
For that which is most worthy to be blest;
Delight and liberty, the simple creed
Of Childhood, whether busy or at rest,
With new-fledged hope still fluttering in his breast:—
Not for these I raise
The song of thanks and praise
But for those obstinate questionings
Of sense and outward things,
Fallings from us, vanishings;
Blank misgivings of a Creature
Moving about in worlds not realised,
High instincts before which our mortal Nature
Did tremble like a guilty thing surprised:
But for those first affections,
Those shadowy recollections,
Which, be they what they may
Are yet the fountain-light of all our day,
Are yet a master-light of all our seeing;
Uphold us, cherish, and have power to make
Our noisy years seem moments in the being
Of the eternal Silence: truths that wake,
To perish never;
Which neither listlessness, nor mad endeavour,
Nor Man nor Boy,
Nor all that is at enmity with joy,
Can utterly abolish or destroy!
Hence in a season of calm weather
Though inland far we be,
Our Souls have sight of that immortal sea
Which brought us hither,
Can in a moment travel thither,
And see the Children sport upon the shore,
And hear the mighty waters rolling evermore.

Then sing, ye Birds, sing, sing a joyous song!
And let the young Lambs bound
As to the tabor's sound!
We in thought will join your throng,
Ye that pipe and ye that play,
Ye that through your hearts to-day
Feel the gladness of the May!
What though the radiance which was once so bright
Be now for ever taken from my sight,
Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendour in the grass, of glory in the flower;
We will grieve not, rather find
Strength in what remains behind;
In the primal sympathy
Which having been must ever be;
In the soothing thoughts that spring
Out of human suffering;
In the faith that looks through death,
In years that bring the philosophic mind.
And O, ye Fountains, Meadows, Hills, and Groves,
Forebode not any severing of our loves!
Yet in my heart of hearts I feel your might;
I only have relinquished one delight
To live beneath your more habitual sway.
I love the Brooks which down their channels fret,
Even more than when I tripped lightly as they;
The innocent brightness of a new-born Day
Is lovely yet;
The Clouds that gather round the setting sun
Do take a sober colouring from an eye
That hath kept watch o'er man's mortality;
Another race hath been, and other palms are won.
Thanks to the human heart by which we live,
Thanks to its tenderness, its joys, and fears,
To me the meanest flower that blows can give
Thoughts that do often lie too deep for tears.

Date: November 13, 2018 02:29PM

A long time favourite poem of mine. Like all great writing, the experience and meaning of the poem shifts and turns upon each reading. Just like life. Also, like all great writing, no two readers read the same poem.

Anyone wanting a critical look at this poem, I recommend perusing Lionel Trilling and Harold Bloom.

Date: November 14, 2018 09:38PM

It's my opinion that telling a truth doesn't take many words. So naturally, my first reaction regarding the poem is "what the...!"

Then I finally see this:

"Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting:
The Soul that rises with us, our life's Star,
Hath had elsewhere its setting,
And cometh from afar:
Not in entire forgetfulness,
And not in utter nakedness,
But trailing clouds of glory do we come
From God, who is our home:
Heaven lies about us in our infancy!"

So this indicates he's a deist, which is fine by me, but makes of him, for me, a candidate for dismissal. I do not believe that I came into this world trailing clouds of glory. Nice thought, but not useful to me.

What a person thinks of life probably depends a great deal on where he/she is positioned on the Bell Shaped Curve.

Date: November 16, 2018 09:27AM

Thank you for posting this poem.

I loved it!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 01:42PM

What do you think about life?

I'm not sure if I'm at the end of mine. If I get the chance to think about it when I don't have much of any life left and I have my memories of it, I might have an answer for your question.

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 09:18PM

"My wife, who is a perpetually miserable and negative person, constantly bemoans the fact that reality doesn't conform to her demands. Thus, she is never happy and never will be."

We assume that the negative person needs to just change their attitude. Unfortunately, it isn't that easy. Much of how we see the world is based on our inherited personality based on genetics.

I've spent a lifetime trying to make sense of life, and try to be more happy. Eventually you realize those who were born happy don't need to make sense of it. When you try to share what you've learned, they quickly tune out, as you are interrupting their perpetual party.

Date: November 14, 2018 10:06AM

I couldn't identify more with what you have written there, Free Man.

I can't even change myself much less effect change in anyone else. My life is like a rip tide. No matter how I try I can't seem to get to the shore of the "ideal me" and always get dragged back out to the ocean that is me. At least it's deep.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: November 14, 2018 01:26AM

I don't have

I live

Then I DIEt

Still, I live

M@t

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 14, 2018 07:04PM

Posted by: rosysam ( )
Date: November 15, 2018 02:31AM

42 is the most important answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything.

Brilliant dagny!

Posted by: FNQ sparky ( )
Date: November 15, 2018 09:13AM

42 days, the shelf life of donated blood
Advertising campaign here in Australia to donate blood

Date: November 15, 2018 09:18AM

How about that, my above response to this topic was the 42 nd
Isn't that weird!!!

Date: November 15, 2018 09:25AM

Fortuity, my friend. Fortuity.

:)

Date: November 15, 2018 09:41AM

That to me is a big experience of life
It just happens that way , no rhyme , no reason, just does.
Enjoy

Date: November 15, 2018 11:22AM

That is the definition of Amyjo's word, and the obvious source of 42 as the answer to everything, except religion and ghawd.

Date: November 15, 2018 11:29AM

Life is a bowl of chicken soup.

Slurp it up.

So said one of my high school's valedictorian's his senior year, shortly before he was busted for robbing a bank wearing a stolen Brooks Brothers suit with the tags still on it.

:D

Date: November 15, 2018 04:55PM

This short story has had the greatest effect upon my life.

Enjoy.

http://www.eastoftheweb.com/short-stories/UBooks/Bet.shtml

Date: November 15, 2018 05:34PM

That was all about judging, judgments.

If you don't judge, happiness isn't so shy.

Date: November 15, 2018 05:25PM

That was very unsettling. I'm not sure what to think except the story illustrates the power of vantage point. We look through our past always to see anything new? All is worthless, even knowing all is worthless is worthless?

The Layer's final letter does reek of some of the N.T. Jesus quotes. Or to quote Ziller's Jesus, "I already own all the real estate!" Haha.

Would love to hear why this was powerful with you mormon nomore.

Date: November 15, 2018 05:42PM

All my life I've collected the most potent quotes, literature, music and speeches of the greatest intellects. To me, this quest was the most rational way to extract from life the best it had to offer.

Anton Chekov's piece THE BET altered my trajectory from financial ambition to an arc of vast personal experiences.

Living fully became my aim, instead of accumulating wealth.

Today, I see that I chose correctly.

Thus, I owe this short story deep gratitude for my finest relationships, memories and fascinating detours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA-AkJzpKmg

Date: November 15, 2018 06:06PM

Thank you.

I think I was lucky. I never focused on money. Maybe being extremely focused on art since so early on--my own and then to devour what everyone else is doing has made me feel what you found in reading that story. You make me feel kinship.

In business I always focused on our reputation, our art, not on our profits, and then the profits took care of themselves. I couldn't tell you at the end of the year how I did financially. I just know I have enough to buy what I want at the nursery to keep my garden going. That part of me understood "The Bet."

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: November 15, 2018 05:37PM

It's like box of chocolates.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: November 15, 2018 05:40PM

As little - and as much - as possible.
It wouldn't all fit here, or be useful.

I think life as a formon is MUCH BETTER than life as a mormon.

See, there I go thinking again. Guess it's not all bad.

M@t

Date: November 15, 2018 05:51PM

Everyone gets their own individual starter kit and then it's all up to you.

Posted by: Healed ( )
Date: November 15, 2018 08:22PM

I believe Macbeth answer this question:

“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is no more; it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.”

The bottom line, therefore, is try to do those things that allow for the enjoyment of each day, because in the end, the day you’re in is the only time you’ve got - and then it’s gone. That’s my take, anyway————-

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.