Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: November 15, 2018 07:50AM

Those 20 year involuntary indentured servitudes weren't terminated with the 13th amendment. Arizona and California did this too. In Utah, most of the Indians made into slaves were Paiutes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 15, 2018 08:01AM

Another way Mormonism is like Islam. Convert, serve as a slave, or die.

Except that nowadays the converts serve as slaves. Oops, unpaid labor induced by fraud.

Posted by: Honest TB[long] ( )
Date: November 15, 2018 09:59AM

I'm well-aware that there are some people, but not any real believers as they accept and embrace this unquestioningly unless they are ignorant fools, that don't believe in what I'm about to share. But its part of our wondrous legacy so we get to own it for the rest of eternity.

When the Saints came to Utah they came from Illinois where they didn't allow Slavery and they didn't allow Polygamy. But Brother Brigham, in performance of his holy duties, got both implemented in the Utah Territory, under his careful watch, as Polygamy and Slavery were the twin relics of Beloved Brigham.

Every time I scrub toilets at the chapel or pay tithing I'm helping to sustain this wondrous legacy. One of the ways you can tell that our beloved FP/12 today accept that this was all well is that they strongly promote the BYU brand that bears the name of this mighty man that gave us this legacy of the twin relics of Polygamy and Slavery in the 1850s Utah.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 15, 2018 04:44PM

Several entries in my ancestor's journals refer to a slave they called (N) Jim in Bountiful UT.

Posted by: Alan XL ( )
Date: November 15, 2018 05:31PM

This slavery thing was quite an eye opener to me as an Australian because we were always taught at church how wonderful and benevolent Brigham was.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: November 15, 2018 05:48PM

Two LDS missionaries in northern Alabama converted a family, and their slaves, in North Mississippi, in about 1838. They planned to go see the profit but arrived just after his death. They were then told to return home, and pack all their belongings and head West on the first wagon train leaving the mid-west the following year. They did, and there were slaves in the initial planning/ trek West to Utah. I was surprised to find this in a Mississippi religions history book: hundreds of pages, and just two on Mormonism, mainly being this story.

Slaves, animals, polygamy: lazy Mormon leaders-pioneers!

M@t

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: November 16, 2018 07:24AM

Representative Justin Smith Morrill, of Vermont, in the House of Representatives, spoke out against the Territory of Utah about Indian slaves on February 23, 1857.
http://books.google.com/books?id=WmIUAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA288&dq&f=false

"However cruelly we may have treated the Indians in other respects, either by encroachments upon their hunting-grounds, with or without treaties, or by harrassing wars, no party and no government in this country has for ages sanctioned the idea of reducing the red man of the forest to slavery. However bitter may be the ultimate fate of the American Indians - and as a distinct race it is rapidly approaching extinction - this is a dreg placed in the bottom of the cup by Utah alone"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.