Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: November 28, 2018 07:56AM

It was obvious he wanted to be an apostle, but he moved to Utah for the secret temple meetings and found that the apostles as apostles have very little power. I suspect Nelson knows nothing about the C50, even after 30 years, except vague references to "powerful people." They're delighted when he spouts foolishness, it makes him easier to control. Oaks trailed Nelson into the FP as his congenial but ruthless handler.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: November 28, 2018 10:10AM

What makes you think that the Council of 50 exists anymore?

Date: November 28, 2018 10:46AM

"YTFIF"

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: November 28, 2018 11:39AM

You didn't answer the question. Why do you believe that it still exists?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 28, 2018 10:32AM

How is it obvious that he wanted to be an apostle? I think he wanted to be president from the start, which is quite different.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: November 28, 2018 10:49AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How is it obvious that he wanted to be an apostle?
> I think he wanted to be president from the start,
> which is quite different.

Completely agree. He is used to being the one in control. Being an apostle is to be part of a pack, and you're not in control. It's more "follow the leader" or "simon says"

Date: November 28, 2018 11:23AM

Plus the best thing you get out of being an apostle is the occasional opportunity to stalk a British Prime Minister in the halls of Parliament. Not much in comparison to being a senator or possibly president!

Date: November 28, 2018 11:30AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> Plus the best thing you get out of being an
> apostle is the occasional opportunity to stalk a
> British Prime Minister in the halls of Parliament.
> Not much in comparison to being a senator or
> possibly president!

He will be doing so much more as a senator than he could ever do as one of the Q15

Date: November 29, 2018 04:37PM

It's obvious that he wanted to be an apostle because he failed to gain the US Presidency twice. He then moved to Utah and had nothing else to do. He's the type who enjoys deference from lesser people and doesn't care to explain himself. That would have made him an ideal apostle, and he was only 66 years old in 2013.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 05, 2018 08:56AM

He moved to Utah to run for political office. It's the one state where he could win in a walk, for any office. He ran for Senate to keep his name in the public eye in case the opportunity to run for president yet again arises.

He's too well-known to be an apostle. He'd upstage the other 11. Can't have that

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: November 28, 2018 11:21AM

I haven't heard of the Council of Fifty before, interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_of_Fifty

Date: November 28, 2018 11:33AM

eternal1 Wrote:
> I haven't heard of the Council of Fifty before,
> interesting.
>
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_of_Fifty

So much for "Smith prophetically claimed - that this Kingdom would be established - in preparation for the Millennium and the Second Coming of Jesus."

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: December 04, 2018 11:32PM

I hadn't either. Thanks for the link.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 29, 2018 03:21PM

It supposedly doesn't exist anymore. But one wonders... The church still controls all law making for Utah. That's what the Council of Fifty did as a shadow government.

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: November 29, 2018 03:57PM

It was rumored that before Romney ran for senator that he telephoned Mitch Mcconnel and asked if he could be a "senior" senator if elected instead of a junior member.

Romney has no intention of being part of the team and working with others, he has to be the leader. The top dog that everyone will bow their heads to and say yes.

Date: November 29, 2018 04:00PM

anono this week Wrote:
> It was rumored that before Romney ran for senator
> that he telephoned Mitch Mcconnel and asked if he
> could be a "senior" senator if elected instead of
> a junior member.
>
> Romney has no intention of being part of the team
> and working with others, he has to be the leader.
> The top dog that everyone will bow their heads to
> and say yes.

A rumor? Was it ever verified or is it one of those many myths that happens in politics?

Date: November 29, 2018 04:18PM

Remember that this is a guy who's won exactly one general election in his entire life. Not exactly senior statesman material in a democracy.

His money can't buy him any status. The Senate has been crawling with centimillionaires for the last 30 years, especially on the Democrat side.

Date: November 29, 2018 04:47PM

Your statement about wealth is misleading. The picture is roughly the same for both parties. According to 2016 financial disclosures, four of the richest five Senators and twelve of the top 20 in both houses are Republicans. The numbers will bounce around, of course, but it appears that both parties are comparably dependent on wealth.

https://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/every-member-congress-wealth-one-chart

As for the notion that winning one general election doesn't make someone fit for "senior statesmanship," I generally think that is the wrong way to look at things but there is at least one other one-timer who vindicates your judgment.

Date: November 29, 2018 05:03PM

Yes, of course.

I meant only to imply that millionaire Democrat senators crawl more, not that they possess more wealth.

Date: November 29, 2018 05:05PM

Hah!

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: November 29, 2018 04:47PM

Mitt has won two elections: governor of Massachusetts in 2002 and Utah senator in 2018. He didn't even bother running for re-election in Massachusetts because he was so unpopular.

Also, to be pedantic, being a centimillionaire is easy: I'm one and so are most Americans because we are worth more than one hundredth of a million dollars (i.e. $10K).

Perhaps you meant to say "hectomillionaire". I doubt we have any of those on this board.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: November 29, 2018 08:47PM

If my wife outlives her parents. depending upon what her parents do with their assets, she and her siblings may become hectomillionaires. Neither she nor I knew about her parents' extreme wealth until after we were married (we both thought my parents were wealthier than hers, which is now laughable) so I can't be accused of marrying her for her parents' money.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.