Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: New Here ( )
Date: December 01, 2018 10:37PM

I see this Done guy mentioned a lot. Is he a Mormon leader?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: December 01, 2018 10:41PM

I have never seen this name before, and the Google responses do not seem to indicate any Mormon association.

If this has nothing to do with Mormonism, I am going to hide it because it appears to be some kind of promotion.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: December 02, 2018 01:29PM

LOL

And you even kept a straight face!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 01, 2018 10:42PM

I believe he's referring to Paul Dunn, a former LDS apostle.

He served for many years before being found out to be a fraudster and a pathological liar who deceived many faithful LDS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2018 10:43PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: December 01, 2018 10:45PM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe he's referring to Paul Dunn, a former
> LDS apostle.
>
> He served for many years before being found out to
> be a fraudster and a pathological liar who
> deceived many faithful LDS.

Okay....Thanks, Amyjo!

You are very probably correct. :)

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 02, 2018 05:30AM

Paul Dunn never made MORmON "apostle" , despite one Heck of personal campaign to do so.

He did embarrass the MORmON "apostles" by being more popular than they were as evidenced by Dunn selling many more books than any of those of "THE 12".

Then Dunn embarrassed LD$ inc by getting busted for telling whopper LIES.

Date: December 02, 2018 01:46PM

Those frustrated "never made" apostles were the worst.

Dilworth Young, Marion Hanks...they were capable of astonishing outbursts of hatred. At least One-and-Dunn took it with a certain amount of clarity. He knew his career was over, no hard feelings.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 01, 2018 10:49PM

Referring to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_H._Dunn

Infamous in Mormon circles as a GA who got emeritused/fired when it was discovered that he had generously "enhanced" his biography.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: December 02, 2018 12:24AM

Yep, ambitious, glory-seeking Paul Dunn done got caught, and now he is basically done, and I for one think he done got what he deserved.

I fell for this guys spiel a looooog time past as a teen sitting at a Mormon fireside with friends, eating up this guy's tales of glory bravely and gallantly (supposedly) serving his country. He was the one and only higher-up that my friends and I could stomach as he was young, rather handsome, and charming - you know, a perfect con-artist like ole sleazy con-artist Prophet Joey - so if you had to attend a fireside, his was the one that was bearable.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 02, 2018 05:37AM

As a speaker, Paul managed to be somewhat entertaining, even IF NOT very truthful. Being entertaining was Paul's strategy to climb the executive ladder in the latter day saint corporation. Too bad for Paul that the truth caught up to him and his LIES, and then knocked him clear out of contention for any higher callings.

Most other MORmON leaders are agonizingly BORING, and they are lying anyway.

Posted by: levantis ( )
Date: December 02, 2018 01:26AM

Truly, one of the Lards Anointed.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: December 02, 2018 09:39AM

Even though he was Boyd K. Packer's* nephew, Lynn Packer was fired for his "exposure" of Paul H. Dunn's nonsense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhge8DFLUWA

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 04, 2018 03:09PM

He didn't come from Boyd's direct line of family-owned factories.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: December 02, 2018 11:55AM

I remember how much I "felt the Spirit" when Paul H. Dunn talked.

Date: December 02, 2018 01:37PM

Me too. I think he had a born salesman/sociopath's sensitivity to what other people are thinking at the moment. Also a sociopath's utter disregard for consequences.

He got caught in the trap he laid for us. Those who are no longer of any earthly use to the Brethren are discarded.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 02, 2018 01:34PM

He gave rousing faith promoting talks and almost every word of every talk was a big fat lie.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: December 02, 2018 02:15PM

I have had the revelation that I must also add that one of this guy's appeals was the fact that he was (or, ahumm, he said he was) a baseball player who played in the minor or major leagues (help me out here as I don't recall the name of the team or teams).

If he was minor or major league doesn't even matter because his baseball stories helped sell his spiel to, for sure, the young and alot of the older. I mean, how often does the background of any big whig of the church contain anything but boring stuff---universities attended, married Mary Smith (relative somewhere back to ole Joey), and works now for the Church.

Hell, drum roll please.....This guy was a BASEBALL PLAYER!!!

Oh, and he lied up and down and back and for about all this stuff too. You know, he really did play Little League Baseball in his hometown-----ha, ha. Dunn's embellishments didn't stop, until, ooops! the church had to call him on it BECAUSE, you see, they were caught having yet another embellisher in their midst.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2018 02:17PM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: December 02, 2018 02:41PM

Nice enough guy...but he's the loser who looked into my eyes while he was speaking at a Youth Conference in the 70's and made me feel "the spirit"...confirming to me that LDS-Inc was true for the next few years anyway until I wised up!

Or so it seems to me...

Posted by: Lowpriest ( )
Date: December 02, 2018 02:53PM

and the world is better for it.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 02, 2018 03:44PM

Dunn's lies and deceit caused an entire generation of youth to scour baseball trading conferences and flea markets looking for the ultra-rare, elusive baseball card. Most gave up before realizing they were hunting a fraud.

I had friends that had been gifted the all-time MLB record and stats almanac. We all took turns searching Dunn using different spellings. Some went page by page trying to find this clown's name! A few of my friends concluded that there might be errors in the Almanac. Others thought this was a classic case of how the world loves to persecute the saints. None of us even thought that the guy had lied through his teeth about his stories.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2018 03:44PM by messygoop.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 02, 2018 05:11PM

No record of Dunn in MLB? Satan must be strong in the latter days. I’ll bet he’s also the reason bubble gum gets so stale in those card packs.

Dunn’s card hasn’t surfaced because it was shredded in some kid’s bicycle spokes.

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: December 03, 2018 12:11AM

Paul Dunn was a Seventy, not an Apostle.
He was the most charismatic speaker of the GA's of his time. Very inspirational. Records and tapes of his talks were big sellers. He filled churches wherever he would speak.
Left a Major League Baseball career to go into WWII where he was in combat and his best friend died in his arms while Dunn was miraculously saved - bullet hit helmet and circled around and around his head and he was never injured.

"Best Friend" was later found alive and well - by Lynn Packer, a journalist who was also LDS. Instead of being congratulated for finding the truth Packer was castigated and fired.

Dunn was made church liason to Pro athletes and sports because of his baseball career - and I have played as many games as a pro player as he ever did - NONE. He lied.

He was the most prolific book writer of the brethren of his time. Big seller. After the truth came out he never refunded a dime to anyone for buying his lies.

He was made an "emeritis" GA - not dumped completely for lying.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 04, 2018 03:03PM

I've been listening to one of his earlier talks from the 70s and it's been interesting. He had yet to draw upon his fantasy baseball league and glory war stories, but instead he recounted poems and a real life tragedy where a little girl died in a well. It was obvious that he was a rising star and gaining popularity. He was a good speaker that knew how to tell an audience what they wanted to hear.

Compared to Kimball, who spoke as if God was royally pissed off all the time and McConkie that spoke down to the audience with an arrogant tone, Dunn was pretty nice. At the end of his talk, he actually told the BYU students that they were doing great. When was the last time any LDS leader has praised those in attendance?

I don't think it was just the lying and embarrassment of the church that did him in. I think the higher ups were burning up with envy that he was more hip than they were. I think the Q15 saw him as a giant threat and the only way to eliminate the threat was to retire him. He really was an outsider that didn't come from mormon royalty.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 03, 2018 09:30AM

I think Paul Done Barnabas, John Mark, and Silas...hence all the thinly-veiled homosexual self-loathing in his writing.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 04, 2018 03:10PM

He was a successful Book of Mormon salesman.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: December 05, 2018 06:09AM

New Here Wrote:
> I see this Done guy mentioned a lot. Is he a
> Mormon leader?

No, he is a mormon follower.
Mormon's have no leaders.

What has Paul done?

M@t

Posted by: Former member of The Tabernacl ( )
Date: December 05, 2018 08:55AM

cle Choir at Temple Square, formerly known as The Mormon Tabernacle Choir

Yes, he is.

He was actually helpful to the BYU students. He helped my older brother lay the groundwork to form a real ski team at BYU, according to my brother, he really did.

LOL, if you're gunna lie, ya might as well make 'em entertaining ones.

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: December 05, 2018 10:16AM

(Because as exmos we can still use the name, hehe)

Former member of The Tabernacl Wrote:

> He was actually helpful to the BYU students. He
> helped my older brother lay the groundwork to form
> a real ski team at BYU, according to my brother,
> he really did.
>
> LOL, if you're gunna lie, ya might as well make
> 'em entertaining ones.

Nobody accused him of not being helpful. Just of lying about his career.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.