Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: December 04, 2018 04:44PM

I was looking for a 19th cent character and Google brought forth James J. Hamula, a GA who was exed in 2017. Church said not for apostasy or disillusionment. Also was an attorney and former stake president.

Did a search here and nothing came up.

Does anyone know about this guy and why he was kicked out? Seems like the only other GA's kicked out in the last 100 years was for sexual sin.

Back to Google and wondering why it brought up this guy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 04, 2018 05:11PM

If I recall correctly, his wife filed for divorce shortly after his exing.
Which would seem to suggest this one was for "sexual sin," too.

Posted by: not loggin' in ( )
Date: December 04, 2018 05:52PM

Oh, we've speculated about this…

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2004595
https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2135176

Of course the church was quick to say no apostasy, which was designed to clear itself of any blame. If it's sin, it's all on him, right? If Hamula still believes, the church is totally in the clear. The church hardly has any credibility at this point.

It could be money. The church takes money much more seriously than sex. Hamula did the church's shady work in New Zealand.

Just because his wife divorced him doesn't automatically mean sex. If she's a TBM, her ticket to the CK has been revoked on his account. She needs to find someone else to call her out of the grave at the resurrection. Besides, his exing must have been humiliating in front of all her mormon friends, plus she lost all her social standing.

Posted by: Anon for this ( )
Date: December 04, 2018 06:19PM

This will get you X'd faster than about anything.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: December 04, 2018 06:29PM

Thanks for the links. I couldn't believe this wasn't discussed here.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: December 05, 2018 12:44AM

that would have made it okay. He could have been striving to follow the example set by Joseph Smith, but didn't realize that if he didn't get the sealings done before anyone found out it could look like he was fooling around, when he was just searching for ways to get further ahead with the new and everlasting covenant.

Or if it was a same sex affair, he could have possibly just been doing field research on the doctrine of sealing men to men and did not realize that some of the rituals he and the sealing candidate(s) engaged in were not part of the doctrine.

"As most people who are familiar with Mormonism know, dedicated Mormons believe in sealing women to men and children to their parents for all eternity. Few people, however, are aware of the fact that the early Mormons sealed living men to other men in an unusual ceremony known as 'the law of adoption.' Thus a man could have any number of men adopted to himself as his sons for eternity. For example, in June, 1896, Wilford Woodruff, the fourth president of the church, gave a synopsis of his work in the ministry since 1834. He wrote the following in his journal: 'I officiated in Adopting 96 Men to Men.' (Wilford Woodruff's Journal, 1833-1898, typescript, edited by Scott C. Kenney, 1985, Vol. 9, page 408) In another synopsis for the years 1834-1885, he revealed: 'I had 45 Persons Adopted to me.' (Ibid., Vol. 8, page 352)"

{{From: "Sealing Men to Men" https://www.google.co.kr/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=11&ved=2ahUKEwitvPbu-YffAhUCU7wKHbEKCBMQFjAKegQICxAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmormonpolygamydocuments.org%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F12%2FMF0071.doc&usg=AOvVaw3OlYLU2DSE1XgaOzyaOi-_

Richard R. Lyman was a prominent Q12 member who was exed in 1943 for unauthorized plural marriage (i.e. sleeping with a woman not his "legal" wife, just as JS did ALL THE TIME).

Lyman was an interesting case and it must have been a shock to the members at the time when he was exed. He was exed before I was born, but I remember occasionally hearing adults talking about him furtively and trying to spin it. "Well what happened to Apostle Lyman just goes to show that even the elect can fall and no matter how righteous we try to be, we always have to watch ourselves, because it is so easy to be led astray."

I would ask: "What happened to Apostle Lyman?"

They would change the subject. "Do you want a cookie?"

I'm surprised that these more recent excommunicatees don't put up more of a fight. In the cases of Lyman and George P. Lee, they thought they were doing God's will. Why didn't they do a Joseph Smith and claim that an angel with a sword made them do what they did?

Then the members could have been treated to a really fun "did not" vs. "did so" contest between General Authorities.

"An angel made me do it!"

"You lie. An angel did not appear to you!"

"Did so!"

"Did not!"

"Did so!"

"Poo Poo head!"

"Fart face!"

"Smellmeister!"

"Toilet breath!"

I would love to have seen a public fight like that between General Authorities.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: December 05, 2018 12:55AM

If you bring a guy into the Quorum of 12 named Dick Lyman, you're just asking for trouble from the prankster gods.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 05, 2018 09:07AM

Wally Prince Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm surprised that these more recent
> excommunicatees don't put up more of a fight. In
> the cases of Lyman and George P. Lee, they thought
> they were doing God's will. Why didn't they do a
> Joseph Smith and claim that an angel with a sword
> made them do what they did?

Church leaders: Go quietly, without making a fuss, and we'll let you keep your church-owned house, cars, pension plan, and book royalty income. But if you talk about any of this, or fight it, you'll lose it all.

Excommunicee: OK. I'll go quietly.

Problem solved.

Posted by: Former member of The Tabernacl ( )
Date: December 05, 2018 09:38AM

e Choir at Temple Square, formerly known as The Mormon Tabernacle Choir

Yes, money talks.

Also, the cult owns the media in SLC, and is in control of any stories that come out of there. It's amazing how quickly the scandals are squelched.

Why should we be surprised? Literally all of us ex members of The Chursh of---whatever left because it's a hoax cult. Yet, we all have been accused by the previous Prophet, of being "lazy, offended, and wanting to sin."

Dare to stop believing in the cult, and you open yourself up to all kinds of slander from the Mormons. It makes me wonder what other lies they have told about "emeritus" status GA's. Ronald Poelman comes to mind. Maybe you remember that he had to re-video tape his last conference talk, in which he expressed some of his liberal views. The tape was done at the same podium, with identical flowers, and a sound track of people shuffling and coughing. The new tape was patched into the archives of that General Conference--pretty slick editing! Ron was a lot older than I, but I knew him socially, and he was always quite a liberal, philosophical thinker. I think the Mormon authorities accused him of having dementia, when they put him on "emeritus" status.

We never can really believe Mormon gossip, anyway....

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 05, 2018 10:06AM

All of this angst because he loved his neighbor. Hamula is one of the few GAs given early retirement. He and his wife should have been living it up, but maybe she wanted to set him free to live with his dude friend without a third wheel. Some women are generous like that. If she were really following Joseph’s example she would have made it a threesome.

Or, since the church specifically said it wasn’t for apostasy, it was apostasy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2018 10:10AM by babyloncansuckit.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 05, 2018 11:23AM

Just thinking...

Has the church been able to track that wanton disbeliever that keeps leaking sensitive documents to mormon wikileaks?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.