Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: flutterbypurple ( )
Date: December 05, 2018 02:07PM

Does anyone think the major changes to tithing could be an increase to 15 or 20%. This would cover the the statement that Members would need have increased obedience.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 05, 2018 02:09PM

I doubt it is hurting for money. If it were obvious things would happen like the sell off of their profits. When they start selling their profits to fund selling their prophets then they will be hurting for money.

Any new "major" changes will be minor and nitpicky like earrings and nicknames.

Posted by: Justin ( )
Date: December 05, 2018 02:19PM

No. They'd never get it.

Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: December 05, 2018 02:28PM

While I do not think they will increase tithing, I will tell you the church is definitely hurting for cash.

Most of the "changes" that have been "revealed" in the past decade have been cash-flow related. Get more coming in and less going out.

I think someone commented before, and I will concur, that they will put pressure on members to pay ahead in tithing if they want to only pay every other year because of the new tax laws.

They also might change temple recommends to renew every year to make sure people do.

Finally, also mentioned before, you will be encouraged to pay directly to church headquarters, maybe even create a app to do it.

This is two-fold. Ward clerks will have much less access to how much is going in and how little is coming back.

Another process thing they could do is only have one or two counting months a year which would be the months that most people are on vacation, to lower the amount they have to send to the wards.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: December 05, 2018 02:30PM

No.
Tithing by definition is 10%.
Mormons know this

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 07, 2018 08:06AM

Is that gross or net ?

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: December 05, 2018 02:30PM

No.
Tithing by definition is 10%.
Mormons know this

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: December 05, 2018 02:38PM

It will most likely involve a way to protect their cash flow from the new tax deduction.

There are several ways they could do this but either way it will hurt obedient Mormons in the wallet.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 05, 2018 04:38PM

I think I figured it out!

Each TR member will set aside one room in the house as the Lord's room. It will be dedicated by Temple President. Because it will be furnished and maintained by the members, it will save LDS Corp a ton of money!

Just think that each member will pay 10% to use their very own room.

Ha-ha!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 05, 2018 04:55PM

I could see the church requiring payment to be current as of every December 31st, or possibly bringing back the building fund.

Posted by: brotherofjared ( )
Date: December 07, 2018 06:10PM

I don't know if it was a local issue, but in the early '70's a stake president told us to pay 10% on the gross for tithing, and 3% each on the gross for stake farm, building fund and missionary fund. 19%. I hate to say, but I paid that for 2 years before my mission and 5 years after my mission.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: December 07, 2018 09:13PM

Too many members don't know-
I didn't, as a child-youth-
But learned, as an adult!,
That no matter which box you designate
The fine print says it will be used at the 'church's discretion.
In other words, no matter where you want the money to go-
It WON'T go there. It's ALL "tithing". It's all LD$!

M@t

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 12:20AM

in the 60's and 70's LD$ inc would sting the members for tithing and that was just a start. THen members would get hit (hard) for ward budget, because a good MORmON member would not expect MORmON Jesus to have to maintain the local war building, so that locals have a place to go to MORmON meetings, out His (Jesus') own tithing money !!!! so MORmONS were expected to pay to run the local ward house and local operations!

then MORmON member would get stung for fast offerings and everything else that LD$ Inc and its blood sucking MOReMONey church could come up with !!! it was far closer to 20 percent / double "tithing" than 10 percent as scam ass LD$ Inc had its money grubbing way.

Posted by: TX Rancher ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 01:26AM

Very interesting and thoughtful--I never thought of it this way, but _yes_ all of those added and new requests for money certainly do add up. They will gouge you for every penny they can rake in.

Posted by: Guy3 ( )
Date: December 06, 2018 09:18PM

There is way too many quotes against giving more than 10%. It would be a complete contradition. I think if there is a change it would be a bigger push in the other categories. But more than 10% would contradict 100 years of teachings, and even the basic definition of the word meaning a tenth.

I could see them asking for more toward the temple fund, to keep them functioning if tithing funds drop in 30 years, and this generation more and mroe stops going and having less children.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: December 07, 2018 07:36AM

Guy3 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is way too many quotes against giving more
> than 10%. It would be a complete contradition. I
> think if there is a change it would be a bigger
> push in the other categories. But more than 10%
> would contradict 100 years of teachings, and even
> the basic definition of the word meaning a tenth.
>
>
> I could see them asking for more toward the temple
> fund, to keep them functioning if tithing funds
> drop in 30 years, and this generation more and
> mroe stops going and having less children.

Quotes by church leaders on certain topics have never stopped them from changing their mind in the past. Why would that change now?

Date: December 07, 2018 09:23PM

Guy3 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> asking for more toward the temple fund...

Except that the temple fund has plenty
And the FUNDS are all one big number
Not a lot of different accounts
And the temple is where money is kept

And the LDS will dip into the 'missionary' fund if the 'temple' fund get low, and vice versa. Same goes with the 'human-I-veg-itarian fund. If there is no money for "others", in the humanitarian fund, they would dip into the no funD.

You give them money and say you want them to do this with it and I guarantee you they will do that.

M@t

Posted by: logged off today ( )
Date: December 06, 2018 09:32PM

It would be so freaking awesome if Rusty tried to bring back the law of consecration. Revelation! Last days! Jesus is coming, you won't need that money!!

It would fail miserably of course, but just watching them try to implement it through shaming and guilt trips… it would be a glorious dumpster fire.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 07, 2018 11:37AM

LOL! Love it. Two things never coming back in Mormonism -> shared money and women

Posted by: helenm ( )
Date: December 07, 2018 09:35AM

I don't think they'd do it. It's enough that the church is a fraud and used members' tithing money to pay for City Creek Mall (a fact my former convert/now ex-Mormon friend found disturbing when she recently found out not too long ago). I don't think she knows the tithing also puts money into the church leaders' pockets and I would think she would explode at that one, too.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: December 07, 2018 11:43AM

I think it’s one of the only religious organizations that doesn’t let members know where every penny is going because ( ta da) it’s not going where you think it’s going

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 01:38AM

Scientology keeps its secrets also. What about JWs?

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 05:00AM

JWs do not tithe. 2 Cor 9:7 says don't do anything out of compulsion. The Bible also says that God loves a cheerful giver.

Local congregations give an annual accounting of $$ in $$ out. The WT Society, their governing body, releases an annual financial report.

Posted by: delbertlstapley ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 03:22PM

Probably related to new tax laws and a call for people to donate online, no more checks to the bishop.

For years people ducked tithes by saying they paid directly. I did it for a couple of years before we bailed, and our tithes went from 20K to 0.1K and my bishop never knew.

Back then, the locals had no way of finding out how much you paid. It was just you telling the bishop you were a full tithe payer. We did it so we could get one last temple rec to go to our daughters wedding. Then we left. Assholes!

Now I think if you pay online it is reported to the locals where it wasn't in the past. Now it's easier for the church get their money if people do a direct deposit to LDS Inc.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 03:37PM

The church I attend asks for an annual pledge, but don't record your name. They just collect the anonymous pledges in November and uses those numbers to figure the budget for the next year - its just one step beyond using last year's donations as a starting point. During the year they report in the bulletin the recent donations and how they are tracking compared to expectations based on the pledges. Full budget is available by request.

I could see LDS, Inc asking for an annual pledge ahead of time but, of course, recording it by name, and then demanding members pay up their pledge to be "full tithe payers" for a TR.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 03:57PM

I missed something. Who said there would be major changes to tithing?

Date: December 08, 2018 09:01PM

It's just a ruse
Like ALL of mormonism
And a sham, and a shame
And torture, and a bore
And a chore, and a job

TMC wants You to work
For THEIR money!

M@t

Posted by: Rameumptom ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 09:49PM

Maybe change the fast offerings a bit. The only financial assistance that can be given must be collect from the local congregation. High income areas with have larger donations, but fewer needy people. Good luck to the converts from poorer areas. (I'm just thinking out loud here. I have no reason to think this is actually going to happen).

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 09:59PM

why 'only' converts?

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: December 09, 2018 12:03AM

There is NO reason to pay Fast Offerings after already having paid tithes.

It all goes into one pot anyway and the church does not help anyone much.

STOP paying Mormon leaders for their stupid, expensive pet projects which take food out of your children's mouths.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 10:50PM

Mormons tithe - which is 10% and they decide how that is done, but it's suggested it is to be paid on the gross income.

Many make even larger contributions for tax purposes. This is another way to reduce their personal or business taxes, as I understand it.

Found this. Would it have anything to do with the Mormons and contributions? There is more to it, of course, with other deductions and the standard deduction.

"Increase in the maximum annual amount of charitable contribution deduction
One of the beneficial provisions in the Act for charitable giving is the increase in the amount of a deduction an individual can take for giving cash to a charity (or operating foundation) from 50 percent to 60 percent of her or his adjusted gross income (AGI).

http://www.nonprofitlawblog.com/tax-cuts-and-jobs-act-new-tax-law-impact-on-nonprofits-fundraising/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2018 10:51PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: December 09, 2018 12:12AM

Charitable tax deductions don’t save you money, they cost you money. They are deductions, not credits.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.