Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tabernaclechoir ( )
Date: December 06, 2018 12:26AM

I believe President Bush really liked GBH. ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 06, 2018 11:41AM

George W. Bush #43 has a different middle name than George H.W. Bush #45, so is not a "Junior," or even "George Bush II." I distinguished them by referring to "George Bush the Elder" vs. "George Bush the Younger," (think: "Pliny the Elder"), but I did not see that anywhere else.

I do think that George (the younger) and all the Bushes conducted themselves with great decorum and civility.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 06, 2018 12:34PM

caffiend Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I do think that George (the younger) and all the
> Bushes conducted themselves with great decorum and
> civility.

Well, not always...:)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_H._W._Bush_vomiting_incident

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: December 06, 2018 01:20PM

That was payback for the Japanese shooting him down in the South China Sea.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: December 06, 2018 12:46PM

caffiend Wrote:
> George W. Bush #43 has a different middle name
> than George H.W. Bush #45, so is not a "Junior,"
> or even "George Bush II." I distinguished them by
> referring to "George Bush the Elder" vs. "George
> Bush the Younger," (think: "Pliny the Elder"), but
> I did not see that anywhere else.
>
> I do think that George (the younger) and all the
> Bushes conducted themselves with great decorum and
> civility.

George HW is #41...Not #45

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2018 12:48PM by angela.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 06:00PM

That would be Bush 41 and Bush 43. Trump is President #45.

I can tell you from experience that pedantry is a more demanding avocation than most people imagine it to be.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 06:37PM

My left middle finger suffered some nerve damage in the Battle of Belleau Wood, and occasionally it twitches up, or slightly to the right, as when it should have hit the (4)"3" instead of the (4)"5." It also has a nasty habit of visibly rising in the presence of rude and idiotic Massachusetts drivers, of which there is no shortage.

My point was that most of the politicians conducted themselves with admirable comportment, focusing on honoring #41 instead of airing grievances. And yes, Hie, somebody in public life for as long as GHWB is likely to mis-speak once in a while, and even mis-swallow.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 01:19AM

The Battle of Belleau Wood was fought between June 1st and June 26th in 1918! My grandpa was there - that's why I know.

Sorry about your finger. Bummer.

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 08:59PM

shouldn't that be George HW Bush #41 and George W Bush #43 because Trump is 45. Unless we're going by the timeline of John Hansen being the president before George Washington?

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 09:08PM

...why can't we just put them in a box? And bury them? Just like we will have to endure? The idea that these individuals rate some high-end, endless media spectacle is BS. I mean, what did they do for you?.........nothing..... but line their own pockets. Total BS.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 09, 2018 02:03AM

W. Bush gave Gordon BS Hinckley the Freedom medal, more like the FreeDumb medal in this instance, as a political pay off. Then Hinckley would look MORmON members straight in the eye and tell them that THE ( MORmON) church does not get involved in politics, and then MORmONS get pissed when some one points out how LD$ inc DOES dabble in politics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l1pfb6UXfk

Gordon's Free(Damn)DUMB medal acceptance speech was utterly pathetic. Gordon had the MORmON tabernacle choir sing several songs to take up a lot of time. Then Gordon made a big deal about the U.S. having the words "in God we trust" on its money. Turd man gives Turd speech.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: December 10, 2018 12:11AM

Hinckley supporting that war was totally disgusting.
Especially after reading Kimball's comments on not being a war-like people a decade earlier.

Of course, it's not all that different from Kimball's talk
"don't hurt the little birds" and then the Mormon church goes and buys up hunting preserves with tithing money.

The true god of Mormonism is MONEY

Date: December 11, 2018 12:15AM

what LIE would LD$ inc have to tell to get some more tithing money from you? it might be well with in their BS capability !!!

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 01:32AM

which is probably why he made predictions that failed and said things that were impolitic because he actually believed in them. Didn't necessarily make him a better person (since he believed some strange things), but more sincere perhaps and IMO he was right to advocate for peace, to the extent that he did.

I never got the impression that Hinckley was a true believer. He prided himself on being a PR master and in every instance he came across as being just as cynical and manipulative as could be expected from any high-powered PR firm CEO in the business/political world. I could easily imagine him as a used-car salesman (tampering with odometers and lying about cars being owned by little old ladies who only drove them to church on Sunday).

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 02:43AM

I agree with this on both scores.

Kimball was a true believer; time and again he went out on a limb and said and did things that later proved highly embarrassing. Hinckley, on the other hand, was a nasty man who was cruel to people at times and at other times said things--the BoM is either true or it's untrue--that almost invited disbelief.

On a separate point, I don't think Kimball was that much a pacifist. I have never seen, or expect to see, him criticizing the Vietnam War.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 03:02AM

were mainly in the abstract.

None of the Mormon prophets has ever really spoken truth to real power. They are very unlike the "prophets" in the holy books who would go before a king or an angry mob and condemn them in no uncertain terms. The LSD church seems to always shake and tremble in the face of governmental power. (Too much to lose, I guess. The new and everlasting covenant was not all that important after all.)

Can you imagine any of the superannuated Mormon prophets doing anything like Samuel in the Book of Mormon? (Remember that Friberg illustration of Samuel being shot at with arrows?)

They have not concretely opposed any war in recent memory. (Or any war period, that I'm aware of.) If anything, they seem to encourage LSD boys to go off and fight -- as long as it doesn't interfere with full-time missions for the Church.

Nonetheless, I can see how individual Mormons inclined to oppose a particular war could take some modicum of comfort from the following words of Kimball:

"We are a warlike people, easily distracted from our assignment of preparing for the coming of the Lord. When enemies rise up, we commit vast resources to the fabrication of gods of stone and steel—ships, planes, missiles, fortifications—and depend on them for protection and deliverance. When threatened, we become antienemy instead of pro-kingdom of God; we train a man in the art of war and call him a patriot, thus, in the manner of Satan’s counterfeit of true patriotism, perverting the Savior’s teaching:

“Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

“That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven.” (Matt. 5:44–45.)

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1976/06/the-false-gods-we-worship?lang=eng

Date: December 12, 2018 04:06AM

Wally Prince Wrote:

> I never got the impression that Hinckley was a
> true believer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbrJjqZul-I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWknakABlfc

> He prided himself on being a PR
> master and in every instance he came across as
> being just as cynical and manipulative as could be
> expected from any high-powered PR firm CEO in the
> business/political world.

and because HincLIEy believed his own BS PR about his being a PR genius.....

HinckLIEy looked like a real MORmON at times !!!!! HOW IRONIC!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wALvdgurB4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yCm4zFVIe0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YEMX0VooD4

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 05:09PM

Jeremy Scahill, Intercepted:

The national religion of the United States is American exceptionalism, and we are now in the midst of a grotesque canonization of one of its imperial saints: George Herbert Walker Bush. And right now, at this moment, every media outlet in this country, every politician, Democrat and Republican, is engaged in collective eulogy based on lies — lies about who Bush was, lies about his policies, lies about the mass-killing he oversaw during his life at the highest levels of power in the U.S. government.

George Herbert Walker Bush was in unrepentant war criminal who spent the overwhelming majority of his life making the world a worse place, a more dangerous place, and he leaves behind a global trail of tears, of bloodshed, of death and destruction. His legacy can be seen in the poverty and corruption of Central and Latin America. It can be seen in the never-ending killing fields of Iraq. It can be seen in the international criminals that he pardoned after Iran-Contra and the systematic violence of the so-called War on Drugs. This legacy can be seen in the scourge of AIDS, the presence of a sexual harasser, Clarence Thomas, on the Supreme Court who in a sick irony of history replaced Thurgood Marshall, the first black Supreme Court Justice, and a noble man. George Herbert Walker Bush came from a powerful family, was born with a silver spoon in his mouth to a father who cozied up to Nazis, who desecrated the grave of the indigenous leader Geronimo and whose businesses contributed to the imperial agenda to force the poor of the world into indentured servitude for the powerful. This is the eulogy that George Herbert Walker Bush should be receiving this week. Instead, we have this:

The rest, at:

https://theintercept.com/2018/12/05/george-h-w-bush-1924-2018-american-war-criminal/

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.