Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nero Offed Claudius ( )
Date: December 06, 2018 10:54AM

--- Admin Note ---
Please pick one screen name and stick with it. We allow anonymity but not chaotic plethoras of monikers.
Thanks,
CZ (admin)

The guys mentioned above, at least they allowed Pageants, Road Shows, Dance Festivals, etc. How is it possible that those geezers had more sense of fun than today's so-called leaders?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2018 03:38PM by Concrete Zipper.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 06, 2018 11:00AM

Peterson was disgustingly racist and proud of it as he carried the most ridiculous anti-masturbation agenda of them all. Tie your arm to a bedpost! Imagine laying in a tub of worms! Sleep with a BoM in your hand!

Kimball did more damage to gays and everybody with his GD Miracle of Forgiveness that he deserves to go straight to Outer Darkness. He made my life hell.

Benson? Are you kidding me? Read some of Steve's posts.

I was robbed and hurt seriously by all three and a dance, pageant, roadshow, or all three combined don't do much to make that right.

Sense of Fun? OMG.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 06, 2018 11:10AM

But I'm also not social and all those programs didn't really add to my enjoyment in life. They were more just another thing I had to attend. My whole family was the same way. My dad just didn't like attending much of any of that.

I have to agree with Done & Done. The things that the leaders you mention did were, for me, unforgivable.

I had the chapter on gays in miracle of forgiveness almost memorized, hoping somewhere in there I'd find answers for helping save my boyfriend/husband. I never read it again after we got married. I always say that I knocked on that damn door until I knocked it down and figured it all out for myself.

The lives they damaged are in the millions if you ask my opinion.

The leaders now just do things different, but what I find insane is that I thought Nelson looked like a nice guy when they called him as a GA. He looks evil to me now. I'd tend to believe he has dementia. And yet, they all are just falling in line, those MORMONS.

Posted by: Nero Offed Claudius ( )
Date: December 06, 2018 11:15AM

So true about Nelson

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 06, 2018 12:02PM

I had a new Bishop when graduating from primary (I didn't even know him as he was a move-in, but the SP wanted a person to get the ward into shape) to usher in the new correlation programs. It was the middle years of the 1980s and our dance festivals, ward camp outs, and road shows were kaput! The scripture chase lingered on for a few more years.

So just in time for Mother's day, the primary could no longer sit on the stand and sing a bunch of songs. No! Now the primary children were expected to have a spiritual program where each child had to read-say a scripture. So imagine a Mother's day theme that focused on the atonement. I seem to recall that Mothers got book markers with a cut out of the Savior.

So correlation now required all primary graduates to memorize a set of scripture mastery verses and the whole shabang of the AoF. Part of the graduation from primary involved the bishop requsting the 12 year old to recite mastered scripture verses and one of the articles of faith. So this poor girl started into the 13th and got lost. She panicked and became flush before fainting. The bishop was actually laughing about it when she came to.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: December 06, 2018 01:10PM

Might I remind you all, we should never speak ill of the dead. We should only say good.

McConkie, Peterson, Kimball, & Benson are dead ... Good!

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 06, 2018 01:26PM

Haha. Thank you Bette.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: December 06, 2018 03:20PM

I needed to give her credit!
:D

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: December 06, 2018 01:24PM

Well said, Done & Done and cl2!

"The Miracle of Forgiveness" accused me of being to blame for being beaten and raped! I had PTSD for years--still have a touch of it. I'm sure I would never have recovered at all, if I had stayed in the cult.

I agree that the Mormon cult has dissed some good opportunities to build old-fashioned rapport and loyalty among its members. In those days, we we had each other's back. These days, Mormons are in competition with each other, clawing and back-biting their way to the top. Where's the love?

For Mormon youth--does the Mormon cult still have that big New Years' Eve meeting at the conference center? I hear the first presidency fireside last week was real Christmassy (sarcasm). The Mormon youth don't have Scouts anymore. Oh yeah, they get Pioneer Trek!

I differ with the Mormons, because I don't think it is noble or righteous to SUFFER. The cult lost my loyalty, when they told us to clean the building.

The cult has reached new low's. The young families I know, are not as invested in their wards, these days. I notice that my one TBM daughter and her TBM husband don't take their kids to the ward Christmas party, or to the neighborhood summer party, or to any other activities (maybe there are no activities?). Their young married TBM friends don't participate, either. There's always something better to do as a family, they the Mormons like to socialize on their own, outside of church control.

Many Mormon baby-boomers and grandparents admit they go to church purely for social reasons. Lately, even these members feel no reason to attend anymore--especially if they are widowed, if they like to travel, if their grandchildren live far away, if they have winter homes elsewhere, if they don't want to go on senior missions, if they don't want callings in the nursery. Older Mormon women are very upset at losing the social contact of Visiting Teachers. They miss the RS cultural refinement lessons, the Singing Mothers, the luncheons, the bazaars. Now, it seems that RS is just an extension of priesthood meeting, if RS exists at all, anymore. Sigh.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 06, 2018 01:35PM

I don't miss any leaders living or dead.

Yes, there were fun things in my youth that they axed. The problem is they gilded the lily. There is a beautiful life under all their gaudy Celestialized understanding of human life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2018 01:35PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: December 07, 2018 11:22AM

> The [old-dead] guys at least allowed... ["fun"].

[They] had more sense of fun than today's so-called leaders?

Dead people don't lie.
Not all mormons are dead, yet.

Who cares?

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: December 07, 2018 11:34AM

What I mean is

All mormon [mis]"leaders" will lie to the followers (and have, through all time, from Joseph Smith, Jr. on through "eternity", back to Joe again, standing there in hellO, lying), and the world, so, the non-followers too. Not necessarily that all members lie... no that is still up for debate. If they don't in primarry, they will when they 'merry' [tscc] and stay in long enough, at least to themselves. You tell yourself you like these wicked men. Fine, but gross. These ARE NOT men ["leaders"] to follow. You do better. You can keep trying. Or wither up.

M@t

Posted by: delbertlstapley ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 03:34PM

As if religious main line Mormon dogma isn't harmful enough, these guys took it to a new level "interpreting" everything in Mormon doctrine, the horrific book Miracle of Forgiveness and all the right wing (commies are gonna get us) crap from Benson.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 09:57PM

There were fun activities in the past because the locals had control of MONEY. Locals cared about local fun. Now all the money goes straight to SLC and they don't care what people think. What they didn't consider is that it has gutted the community that was found in local wards. The current wards have little to recommend them. Shorter once a week meetings will further erode what little community still remains. I could see them going cyber in the future. Pay your dues and get access to a weekly vid.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: December 09, 2018 04:01AM

I don't miss any of it.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 09, 2018 04:21AM

yah, I miss those guys too ...... like I miss a tooth ache !!!!!!

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: December 09, 2018 05:08AM

TSCC has been taken over by accountants and business management types.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.