Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: December 06, 2018 12:24PM

The wildfires destroyed our natural ground cover, and really....enough is enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAUeIFVhXNo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2018 12:34PM by Tevai.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: antsclimbingtrees ( )
Date: December 06, 2018 01:32PM

I don't feel like opening a video ATM, what is it?
Thanks

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: December 06, 2018 01:40PM

Evelyn Freeman "Didn't it Rain"

Posted by: antsclimbingtrees ( )
Date: December 06, 2018 01:47PM

Ah. Got it.

Date: December 06, 2018 01:50PM

My post seems to have had a good effect.

About a half-hour after I posted, the rain stopped.

[Although: AFTER the rain stopped (at least for the moment), a flash flood warning came in on the cell phone. Our weather report says it is supposed to rain through at least 9:00 PM tonight.]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2018 02:08PM by Tevai.

Date: December 06, 2018 04:36PM

I just got back from doing errands.

According to the news on the radio, it is right now snowing in Palmdale (the "high desert" to the north of us).

If it is snowing in Palmdale, especially this early in our winter, this may mean a snow year for us in the San Fernando Valley too.

[It snowed the year my sister was born (my family went tobogganing down our hill!!)....and it snowed one of the years when I was in high school....and there was another snow year about 1980 or so (when we lived in Conejo Valley, on the adjoining, other side of the Santa Monica Mountains).]

I dunno if global warning means more snow years in the San Fernando Valley. If so, this may be one of those years.

Date: December 06, 2018 01:52PM

Date: December 06, 2018 02:02PM

fossilman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But, but, but,
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmq4WIjQxp0

One of the great songs of its time, with VERY true lyrics!!

Do you know the backstory?

If not: Albert Hammond is from Gibraltar (the British Overseas Territory at the tip of Spain), and the song is about his life, after he left the Mediterranean and came to California to make his mark in show business.

I have always thought this song tells one of the truest personal stories about the industry ever written.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2018 02:03PM by Tevai.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: December 06, 2018 03:42PM

Let It Rain,
Let It Rain,

Let your love rain down on me.

Date: December 06, 2018 03:47PM

Finally, someone quoting God.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: December 06, 2018 05:18PM

I feel for California and have contributed to relief funds but let's not forget Puerto Rico which is still hurting from hurricane damage and they get little attention.

Date: December 06, 2018 05:55PM

kentish Wrote:
> I feel for California and have contributed to
> relief funds but let's not forget Puerto Rico
> which is still hurting from hurricane damage and
> they get little attention.

I am not soliciting funds!

I agree that Puerto Rico is in a hugely worse situation than is California.

We are inherently tremendously economically strong (California is now the fifth-largest economy in the world, ahead of the United Kingdom).

That being said, we are also feeling like we have been battered (because we have been).

We made it through the drought, and we came out more-or-less intact (though produce now just is not up to the standards of produce which grew before the drought--as anyone who knows "real," pre-drought, California oranges can attest).

The wildfires were horrendously awful: there was loss of life (both human life and non-human life), there was nearly unbelievable property damage (leaving huge amounts of people literally homeless, with their houses gone, often with no funds to even rent a garage somewhere, and no jobs, and the "campgrounds" (such as the Walmart parking lot) no longer existing. As of my last reading of the articles, there are still no FEMA trailers for anyone. Some percentage of people have funds to move (at least temporarily) elsewhere; most people do not have this kind of financial strength.

But the rains were pretty fierce this morning (very loud, and with shock-like vibrations, like our house was being attacked by invading forces), and although we absolutely do NEED that rain water, when it comes in like that, it leads to mudslides (which can, and DO, kill) and flooding.

In my OP, I was in effect (through a gospel hymn I have always liked) saying a kind of prayer to the rain gods, to thank them for the rain, but asking them to send the rain in more manageable increments, so that the mass of it doesn't overwhelm our ability to deal with it (and the subsequent mud coming down mountain- and hillsides, with the added dangers of death and destruction).

We are fine, and we will be fine-er as time goes on, but right now, some better pacing of that still-much-needed rainwater would be really, really welcome.

To our compatriots in Puerto Rico, I have not forgotten, and I don't think most of us on the mainland have forgotten.

Puerto Rico has been treated ghastly [something similar is now going on in what used to be Paradise, California, as well], and I have always been (since I was in high school) a proponent of statehood for Puerto Rico--which would go a whole long way towards creating a Puerto Rico where every citizen, and every resident, would have a chance to survive, and to overcome, in decent circumstances.

To borrow from the words of Miss Medina, my Cuba-born, high school Spanish teacher: "!Viva Puerto Rico!," "!Viva California!," and "Viva Los Estados Unidos de America!"

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 07, 2018 01:44AM

All of the praying for rain during the fires must have had a delayed reaction.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: December 07, 2018 02:23PM

Did not mean to suggest you were after funds. While I feel for California's problems I have seen a great deal of response and interest in needs there. Not so much PR which to me is puzzling and concerning.

Date: December 07, 2018 03:17PM

Kentish Wrote:
> Not so much PR which to me is puzzling and
> concerning.

Not "puzzling" at all:

The median skin tone in Puerto Rico is browner than is the median skin tone of Americans in the "lower 48" plus Alaska, and....

....most people in Puerto Rico speak better Spanish than do MOST people in the "lower 48" plus Alaska.

Are those two differences "concerning"?

Yup!! And unfortunately, these two differences have been "concerning" to too many of us in the "lower 48" plus Alaska since 1898, when Puerto Rico became part of the U.S. of A.

[Hawaii had similar problems becoming a state. Despite serious and continuing efforts, it took Hawaiians sixty years from the time when Hawaii became a U.S. territory to become a U.S. state--and for exactly the same melanin reason. Spanish....not so much. ;) ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2018 03:19PM by Tevai.

Posted by: Kentis ( )
Date: December 07, 2018 06:20PM

Travis, I agree with your assessment. Seems many can be less concerned about PRs because they are not quite Amrican for various reasons.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: December 07, 2018 06:22PM

Sorry for the name error. The tablet I am using for this won't let me type you correct name for some reason.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 06, 2018 06:32PM

Weather, and lots of it.

I hope y'all come through okay. <3

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 06, 2018 09:49PM

It's another El Nino winter in the NE. Milder than usual but still unpredictable. With global warming they've been more frequent.

Hope things ease up where you folks are. Enough is enough.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 07, 2018 09:51AM

The southern California rainstorm is moving to the mid-west and Southeast, bringing snow, ice, and sleet after drenching rains.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/winter-storm-expected-slam-much-u-s-it-moves-california-n944951

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 07, 2018 10:44AM

Don't confuse weather with climate.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: December 07, 2018 11:39AM

Amen Tevai

M@t

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 07, 2018 08:38PM

We've had some good rain in NorCal. More to come.

Date: December 07, 2018 08:42PM

donbagley Wrote:
> We've had some good rain in NorCal. More to come.

I am glad for the rain, and I hope it comes in the optimum best ways for your soil conditions.

We (all Californians) sure do need the water!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.