Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 06, 2018 01:20PM

I think most of us already realize this, but this is a warning to members who truly love their sons and daughters. It is foolish to believe that the LDS Corp will step up and do the right thing should a tragedy occur during a church mission or while attending a church sponsored university.

Please understand that church leaders will protect LDS Corp whenever a missionary is injured, becomes ill or is killed. It matters not if it was preventable, the church shares no legal responsibility in these tragedies. There's a reason that missionaries and college students are required to be regularly interviewed by church leaders, it allows the church to wash its hands of liability and neglect.

This is how members fail. They assume that the church is going to take care of their prized possessions: their children.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: December 06, 2018 02:53PM

Important warning.

Unfortunately, the LDS church teaches its members that their children aren't really theirs. Children are "on loan" to them by Heavenly Father. Parents are just there to teach the kids to be Mormons.

I think it's the "on loan" thinking of church members that sometimes allows them to blindly put their children in harm's way. Members are taught never to question the church. The church knows what's best. LDS parents might ignore the uneasy feelings they may have about bishop's interviews or missions in dangerous areas, etc. because they believe that their most important job is to raise faithful Mormons, even at the risk of their child's safety.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 06, 2018 04:45PM

want2bx Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> LDS parents might ignore the uneasy
> feelings they may have about bishop's interviews
> or missions in dangerous areas, etc. because they
> believe that their most important job is to raise
> faithful Mormons, even at the risk of their
> child's safety.

I'm married to an LDS parent and I married her in their temple. In their endowment potential parents/parents promise their very lives to the church. We knew that having these children would require us to give them to the church.

Date: December 06, 2018 04:49PM

Then that needs to be a major talking point when the church sends out the missionaries: That children really don't belong to them, but are on loan from God and sanctioned by the church. That way anybody that chooses to convert will know right away.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 06, 2018 04:51PM

messygoop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Then that needs to be a major talking point when
> the church sends out the missionaries: That
> children really don't belong to them, but are on
> loan from God and sanctioned by the church.

If one covenanted to God through the church then this would make sense. No one covenants to God at all in their endowment ceremony. One promises this and that and their very lives to the church.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 09, 2018 05:26PM

You make it sound as if ritual sacrifice of one’s children is a bad thing.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 06, 2018 04:56PM

the primary presidency showed up and told our kids (twins 8) that they would be picking them up to take them to church as we were not raising them right.

What a SHOCK! We just stood there. My ex doesn't remember it. My son does. He said he never really believed, but that day was the end of any positive feelings he had for the church.

No, they never were allowed to take MY children to church.

AND, one look at my disabled brother when he came off the plane from his mission and I started telling my 2-year-old son he would never serve a mission. I didn't allow my kids to have bishop interviews. Now my daughter is of age and has interviews, but not with my permission.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2018 04:57PM by cl2.

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: December 06, 2018 05:50PM

...parents are to blame....IMO. If the parents are so willing to send their kids out on a mission, without thinking rationally, is that "child abuse?" Yes/No? ....because most of the kids are 18yo and are no longer covered by the laws protecting minors?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 09, 2018 10:15AM

the realities of mission life. They trust the church to watch out for their children. I believe my mother sent my disabled brother on a mission because she thought that he would be in good care and she could have a breather.

I just read on his facebook page yesterday about when he fell once on his mission and hit his head on the bumper of a car and split it open. His disabilities have come from head injuries. He also told me once that he used to try to get injured so they would send him home.

Date: December 09, 2018 11:11AM

You're right!

My Mom had so much faith in the church that she finally revealed to me that she had taken out an additional life and accidental insurance policy for the months I served a church mission.

"I knew that if you were killed or severely injured that the church wouldn't lift a finger. I wanted you to be protected and that additional coverage gave me peace of mind."

That's the type of organization that people call a church. One that expects a family to pay the costs to ship an injured or dead missionary back to their home.

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: December 09, 2018 08:14PM

...which isn't cheap. After 9/11, caskets, and the deceased, were required to be inspected by DHS before any take-off, or delivery to the intended place of internment. Which was in essence, a body search for explosives, possibly secreted on the deceased. This was an added cost passed on to the grieving families by the funeral home industry. You can't die for free anymore.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 11:48AM

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 11:55AM

Quote: "If one covenanted to God through the church then this would make sense. No one covenants to God at all in their endowment ceremony. One promises this and that and their very lives to the church."

This is a very interesting point. The church is supposed to be about God, but it is about Church.

As somebody on here says, Pay, Pray, Obey!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 12:36PM

There was sort of a twist on that in the temple (back when I went).

The woman "covenanted" obedience to the husband. The husband covenants to God. They both covenant to give all talents to the church.

So they have it covered:

Women submit to males.

Men summit to God.

But the church is the broker you have to use. The fees to use the broker are high.

Ultimately it is all about paying and enabling the broker to get Gold Level Ordinance in the God Club. You never needed the broker. There weren't any levels to accessing a god. It was all made up as they always have been by religions. People convince themselves they need a lot of rules to commit to a god.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.