Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Betty G ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 09:57AM

Hopefully this is okay.

This story

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/mia-love-says-targeted-democrats-black-female-republican-212443368.html

Mia Love says she was targeted by Democrats because she is a Black Female Republican and was replaced by a Middle Aged White Male.

I ABSOLUTELY AGREE, and the REASON that she lost is absolutely how racist Mormons are.

I am not a Mia Love Fan, I do not agree with some of her policies but in this race, the only thing I could think of, considering how big of a Republican area it is, is that if she lost, it was purely because of racism.

Her region is one that is so solidly Republican in how it has voted they would need some big issue to vote against her (done once with another candidate and democrat many years ago I think), but with how she has gone about her business it should have pleased most of the Republicans.

The ONLY reason she lost from my viewpoint was HOW RACIST the campaign was, and HOW Mormons let their own inherent Racism convince them that many of the things stated about her were correct.

I find it horrible how Mormons will insist that they are not racist, but I see the signs of it whenever I see there interactions with minorities.

I grew up in the South, I know what Racism is. I've seen it growing up, and I've seen it's nasty face. Today, some of the MOST RACIST areas I know of are where Mormons live.

I think Mia Love is absolutely correct in the idea that the entire reasons she lost is due to Racism. I think that she needs to open her eyes though and see that it wasn't just because Democrats are Racist, but because the Mormons themselves tend to be racist.

The idea only worked for the Democrats because they were tapping into the racism that already existed among the Mormons that will say one thing (they are not racist) but their actions show that they are far more racist than just about any other group out there.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ette ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 10:04AM

No doubt, mormons are racist. Don't forget they elected Mia before though.

You left out the part about her not supporting Trump. Like it or not, a majority of Republicans have trouble getting behind a candidate who doesn't support Trump.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 01:11PM

Some Mormons are racist,not all. I wasnt raised that way and I know several Mormons who have married blacks

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 10:11AM

"I ABSOLUTELY AGREE, and the REASON that she lost is absolutely how racist Mormons are."

Bullshit! Mia lives in one of the whitest counties in one of the whitest states in the US. She was elected to the City Council and, later, Mayor. Mayor in a 98% white city, virtually all mormon. She was elected twice to congress. Mia lost because she was AWOL. She was funded 96%, by out of state special interests. She didn't communicate with her constituency unless it was for fundraising. She was caught on tape saying she wanted to privatize Social Security. She lost by 905 votes out of hundreds of thousands. Plenty of white mormons (Mia is a mormon) voted for her. Mia lost because she sucked as a congresswoman, not because Utah is racist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2018 10:18AM by stillanon.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 12:36PM

And when one looks at racism, look how fast the Donald threw her under the bus following her loss.

Good to see you're still around, my friend.

Date: December 08, 2018 12:44PM

You too, man. Correct me if I'm wrong. But, in mormonism, isn't Mia black because she was less valiant than whites, in the pre-existence? Kinda sound like it's mormons, not Democrats that are racist.

Posted by: Great Gordon's Ghost... ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 04:39PM

SLC, admitting this is one of his "favorite sockpuppets," but I do it strictly for medicinal--er humorous purposes.

In the "Reality Bites Department," Love was successful in her run for mayor of Saratoga Springs, narrowly lost in 2012 to the very popular Jim Matheson, and beat Doug Owens in both 2014 and 2016.

Posted by: beeblequix ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 10:13AM

I also call bull on the claim that she lost because of racism. Ditto stillanon's comments.

Date: December 08, 2018 11:41AM

She lost because of the scandals that came up before the elction. She won last time and pretty much the same people voted both times.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 11:22AM

Salt Lake County is divided into fourths with parts of the county assigned to each representative. This is done to split up the heavily democratic area. You're overlooking how poorly she performed in Salt Lake County.

Ben was the Mayor of the county and had considerable political support there.

There was also the question of her campaign finances. Unfounded or not they played a role.

In addition many folks turned out to support prop 2. They were a factor in voting against her.

Lastly. Look at her last ditch effort to supress votes from Salt Lake County.

Her loss by less than a thousand votes by no means shows sge was targeted when four years ago she won her first term by less than a thousand votes.

She is just being spiteful.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 02:22PM

Yeah Mia is just blaming everyone but herself for losing. She was blaming the Republican party for not making black people feel welcome whatever that means.

Sorry. The Republican Party is the party of Lincoln. The Republicans freed the slaves while it was Democrats who became the KKK. That's history.

You were more likely to get lynched by a Democrat in the south if you were black. Believe me. The Republican Party would love to get all the black votes they can get and saying they don't want black votes is silly.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 01:12PM

I was thinking during the campaign that some of McAdam's ads were "dog-whistle" racism. They were designed to emphasize his "Leave It to Beaver" family, and how he was as WASP as it is possible to be. (I know, Mormons don't like to be called Protestant, and now they don't even like to be called Mormon, though they are clearly both).

My thought was McAdams was playing up his whiteness for all it was worth, which in Utah, is substantial. He was fighting a very uphill battle, and I think he was hoping to peel off a few R votes by playing the adorable, non-threatening white guy (e.g. taking a shower fully dressed) with his herd of adorable, non-threatening white kids. I have no doubt that it worked, Even if it only got him a few votes that otherwise would have been R, he only won by a few votes.

So, IMHO, McAdams played to R racism, at a subconscious level. If Love had been male and white, she would have beat McAdams in a walk. I agree with earlier posters that Prop 2 likely helped McAdams, but note that all three proposition on the ballot won, and all three were basically small-l liberal propositions. The times, they are a changing, even in Utah.

As for Love not holding The Donald close enough, ha! He and the VP visited Montana so many times they probably now qualify for in-state tuition. The prez badly wanted to beat Jon Tester for quashing his nomination to run the VA. Tester's opponent hugged The Donald as tight as possible. He lost anyway. Wasn't even particularly close.

So, IMHO, Love was right, in that McAdams exploited R racism. I was not entirely comfortable with that. I wonder how he felt about it.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 01:22PM

Mia Love lost by 694 votes out of a total of about 275,000. By definition, any factor that cost her 700 ballots cost her re-election. There would have been a dozen such factors, maybe more. One of them was almost certainly racism.

Does anyone seriously doubt that racism motivated 700 voters to cast their ballots in favor of McAdams?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 01:39PM

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 03:11PM

So what you are saying is that Love should have hired Dowless?

Date: December 08, 2018 03:16PM

Or struck up a friendship with Julian Assange.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 11:13PM

Posted by: You Too? ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 02:07PM

Mormons saw Mia as a trophy.

She was also running in a district that sometimes goes Democratic.

Posted by: Birdman ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 02:10PM

I'm amazed at some of these posters. I voted for President Obama and against Mia Love. She came out against Social Security and health care. Couldn't be because I'm a Democratic Party supporter. Must be because I'm a racist. I don't like this board anymore. Too many judgmental people.

Date: December 08, 2018 02:20PM

I'm not sure if you are talking about me.

If you were, I in no way intended to imply that any one voter was motivated by racist sentiment. There were doubtless many reasons she lost. My point is that if racism cost her 700 votes, it is logical that she would have won if there had been no racism.

My thinking was at that level and not specific.

Date: December 08, 2018 02:49PM

Birdman,I am sure there were some racist voters, but she won once and then ran against a popular Democrat, came out agains SS and had a financial scandal. Maybe that had more to do with it than all these racist Mormons. I doubt the number increased that much between elections.I voted for Obama too with no reservations but didnt even consider voting for Love. There were black people who didnt vote for her because of her political stands.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2018 02:50PM by bona dea.

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: December 10, 2018 03:22PM

Birdman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm amazed at some of these posters. I voted for
> President Obama and against Mia Love. She came
> out against Social Security and health care.
> Couldn't be because I'm a Democratic Party
> supporter. Must be because I'm a racist. I don't
> like this board anymore. Too many judgmental
> people.

As judgmental as Mia Love herself.

Looking at her political views, especially regarding the Black Caucus, I wonder if she wasn't the favorite candidate of racist voters, and the one who previously got elected through dog-whistle racism.

From wikipedia:

While campaigning in 2012, Love had said that if elected, she would "join the Congressional Black Caucus and try to take that thing apart from the inside out." She described the mainly Democratic Caucus as characterized by "demagoguery. They sit there and ignite emotions and ignite racism when there isn't. They use their positions to instill fear. Hope and change is turned into fear and blame. Fear that everybody is going to lose everything and blaming Congress for everything instead of taking responsibility."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mia_Love#Tenure

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 02:52PM

I don't think you can argue racism when the voters already elected you twice to a particular seat. At that point, if you lose, it's either because your performance has been less than pleasing and/or your opponent has captured the voters' imaginations.

Yes, Democrats target certain seats that they think are vulnerable, and Republicans do it as well. That's business as usual in the political arena. And Democrats had more than the usual amount of motivation in the midterms.

Posted by: delbertlstapley ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 03:08PM

So the liberal Democrats targeted a black female. They targeted a Republican tool of dumbass Trump, that in this case happens to be a black woman. What a naive statement by Mia. She seems a little clueless that she was a tool of Rs. They loved her while she was in office (first black female R), but now she is nothing to them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2018 03:11PM by delbertlstapley.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 03:23PM

Sounds like good old Mormon persecution complex.

Posted by: acerbic ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 04:54PM

A woman who willingly joined a church that excluded her family from full membership for almost 80% of its existence should not be whining about bigotry of ANY kind.

Date: December 08, 2018 05:04PM

I think a.lot of blacks were turned off by both her politics and religion

Posted by: Birdman ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 06:11PM

What disgusts me about this posting are the conclusions of some individuals with very short memories. When President Obama lost this state by a vast majority of voters where were the posters claiming that Utah Republicans were racists?

Its absurd to conclude that Democrats are racist. Mia Love is also hypocritical. Where was her racist whine when, as I remember, Utah ran only second to Mississippi for the percentage of voters who voted against President Obama. Have you ever noticed the rainbow coalition of Democratic representatives and the lily white and male Republican group?

How about the fact that SL county is divided into to four Congressional districts? Couldn't be because SL County is mostly democratic? I pretty sure that the portion of SL County's voting pattern remained the same. I think your "700" racist were swing voters from Utah County.

The problem with Utah is that Mormons conclude that supporting Republicans is supporting the church and only sinners vote Democratic. I'm not sure how many Utahns are racists but I'm pretty confident of the number of sheep like Mormons that prefer a nanny state run by a religious zealot as opposed to thinking for themselves. There is one glimmer of hope - the rejection of the church and their marijuana position.

Date: December 08, 2018 06:40PM

Who said that Democrats are racists?

Date: December 08, 2018 07:53PM

Date: December 08, 2018 08:06PM

Oh, yes. Got it.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 06:33PM

so they could vote against Mia Love. There was nothing about race involved in my vote. I thought she was useless. She let it go to her head and QUICKLY. She thought she was the princess of Utah.

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 08:43PM

Mia Love lost because of some crooked deals that she was involved in. Her slate is not clean. And she is one of those holier-than- thou-Mormon-republicans that look down on Trump and his followers (middle america, working class).

Ben McAdams won because he was an excellent candidate, has a squeeky clean image, he was a formidable opponent.

OP maybe right. As a guy I vote for guys, because guys have more wisdom in leadership and communicate better. It's as simple as that. Girls are good followers. (Look at how sour Hillary is, lol!)

Date: December 08, 2018 09:33PM

> As a guy I vote for guys, because
> guys have more wisdom in leadership and
> communicate better.

I wish you were bright enough to see the irony in that statement.

Date: December 08, 2018 09:36PM

I was with you til you started the sexist comments.You lost me then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2018 11:38PM by bona dea.

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: December 09, 2018 12:48AM

I strongly suspect that you're the previously banned poster Poopstone. Writing styles are virtually identical. And now the misogyny.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 09, 2018 01:26AM

I'm looking forward to the day when female leaders can be as mediocre as some male leaders and get a pass on it.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: December 09, 2018 01:27AM

Date: December 09, 2018 02:03AM

I'm likewise looking forward to the day when people who make sweeping generalizations about women--such as that they are bad leaders or that they don't want to work or that they are parasitical in their relations with men--feel sheepish when they complain about being called misogynists.

Posted by: Duke of Earl Grey ( )
Date: December 10, 2018 11:33PM

The OP's hypothesis was that racism of voters was the factor that sunk Mia Love this election, but based on this comment, it appears sexism could have been a more powerful factor.

Date: December 10, 2018 11:45PM

It's quite clear, isn't it.

We are told, however, that pointing out misogyny is inappropriate on this board.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2018 11:46PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 09, 2018 01:48AM

Mia NEVER would have been elected, she NEVER would have had a chance except for her ethnicity, as MORmONS were so eager to prove that they were not racist by electing her in the backlash of accurate accusations of racism against MORmONISM. Mia was the designate token minority candidate that prevailed riding on back lash that was building up before she was ever born.

Then Mia made the mistake of thinking that she had actually earned her victory based on her own effort and merit more than the back lash that had actually propelled her to office, as riding that back lash to victory had been so easy.

Then Mia got a big dose of reality, after she failed to keep her affairs in proper order and as she thought that she was an institution unto herself.

Date: December 09, 2018 08:31AM

Sums it up pretty well. They elected her because she was a black, mormon republican (they needed one) that is married to a white guy and lives in a white world. If she was a black methodist, presbyterian, catholic, etc. she never would have made it out of caucus.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: December 09, 2018 02:19AM

Whomever the district votes for is supposed to represent and serve the best interests of that district. That's their sole reason for being voted in as a representative in the House of Representatives.

If the district votes against the best-qualified candidate (to represent and serve the interests of the district) based on the candidate's race, the district is screwing itself.

If the district votes for a less-qualified candidate (to represent and serve the interests of the district) based on the candidate's race, the district is screwing itself.

If the district votes for the best-qualified candidate (to represent and serve the interests of the district) regardless of the candidate's race, the district is helping itself.

So (theoretically) the people in the district will be punished or rewarded, as appropriate, by the decision that the majority made. (All very theoretical.)

I'm so far removed from Utah these days that I had no idea who Mia Love is. The article didn't provide enough details to determine whether the opposing party actually behaved in a racist way or whether the mere act of fielding a "white middle-aged man" in any election is now, ipso facto, to be regarded as an act of intolerable racism. Being that both candidates are likely very ambitious politicians, I doubt that either of them could be trusted to hold hold your kid's lunch money or tell you the correct time of day.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: December 10, 2018 09:20PM

MORmONs voted for White American Exceptionalism (Supremacy)more than ANY other demographic. Half of them still support the current white Nationalist agenda because it fits their agenda perfectly, which is in the name, The DoomsDay CULT of Joeph's Myth's Cuckolded Sycophants.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2018 09:26PM by koriwhore.

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: December 10, 2018 10:52PM

"I grew up in the South, I know what Racism is. I've seen it growing up, and I've seen it's nasty face. Today, some of the MOST RACIST areas I know of are where Mormons live."

Let's see, until the age of 38, I lived in wards in Utah, southern Idaho, Illinois, Alaska, and 3 wards in Washington state.

I can honestly say that I did not hear ONE racist comment in all that time.

Now I'm sure that some Mormons are racist, but then most people are, including minorities.

If past teachings make all Mormons racist, then I guess as Americans, we're all racist because of slavery, right?

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: December 11, 2018 12:15AM

Free Man Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "I grew up in the South, I know what Racism is.
> I've seen it growing up, and I've seen it's nasty
> face. Today, some of the MOST RACIST areas I know
> of are where Mormons live."
>
> Let's see, until the age of 38, I lived in wards
> in Utah, southern Idaho, Illinois, Alaska, and 3
> wards in Washington state.
>
> I can honestly say that I did not hear ONE racist
> comment in all that time.
>
> Now I'm sure that some Mormons are racist, but
> then most people are, including minorities.
>
> If past teachings make all Mormons racist, then I
> guess as Americans, we're all racist because of
> slavery, right?

It's not past racism. It's current racism. Name another scripture that describes a God who's such a racist he turned entire races of people black because of the sins of their fathers, then white again when they repented, then black again when they sinned.
Mormons believe that racist narrative, which is racist. They hold racist beliefs, long after they've been debunked by modern genetic science. That's the definition of delusional.

Date: December 11, 2018 01:28AM

This is true, Kori. Anyone who believes skin color has moral significance is, by definition, racist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2018 01:29AM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: December 11, 2018 08:49AM

Why does the term "Nationalism" often have to be sullied by adding a racist spin to it, as in "white Nationalism"? People of all races from all countries can be proud of their homeland and prefer to govern their own affairs, manage and preserve their own resources, etc, without relating those sentiments to any race. The people of Utah are not racists either.

Date: December 12, 2018 12:24AM

The answer is that "nationalism" has a different meaning than "patriotism."

Patriotism derives from the term for fatherland, meaning that the allegiance is to the place where one was born. Ethnicity and religion are not prominent elements in the term. If black Americans and white Americans are patriotic, they grow closer because they feel allegiance to the same entity: the United States. Differences are muted rather than amplified.

Nationalism, by contrast, derives from the term nation, which is an ethnic and/or cultural word. It means "my group" as opposed to "other groups" that may or may not be located within the boundaries of the speaker's own state. As a consequence, nationalism is often a violent or exclusionary sentiment. Nationalism ripped apart certain multi-national empires, then German nationalism ripped apart Austria and Czechoslovakia. Nationalism is also a word that is used in campaigns of group self-determination or even genocide as in Nazi Germany, Bosnia, Rwanda, and and many other places.

"Nationalism" doesn't have to be sullied by adding qualifiers. The word itself is pejorative. That is why it is not a positive term like "patriotism."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2018 11:10AM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: PDX ( )
Date: December 11, 2018 10:58PM

I don't think racism came into play in not returning Mia Love to Congress. I think the fact that she supported repealing Obamacare and the GOP tax plan had an affect. In sum, I think she wasn't returned to Congress because of her support for many of the Trump administration policies.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 08:14AM

Well since Mia is a republican....I ASSUME the democrats would target her...seeing that she is their opponent and all...

Many in UT county was not happy w/her. Mormon and non-mo alike..

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 08:55AM

Yes. The all white and mostly male Republican congressional makeup is, in now way, clearly evident of which "party" is racist. The claim by Mia Love is absurd on its face. It is quite clear that Mormons have a racist history, and (having lived in Utah for 90% of my life) is still filled with racists and misogynists. But politically she lost because she was a horrible candidate that her constituents rejected based on her record in congress. Other claims have no support on fact.

Disclaimer: I am a registered Independent and have always voted as such. Even when I was a member. I have no dog in the "political party" hunt.

HH =)

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 02:13PM

You hit the nail on the head. I was explaining this to someone recently (a non-mormon who knows very little about them). He was quite surprised that the Republican incumbent lost in Utah.

I told him that the Dems didn't pick a white male by accident. They could not have won on non-mormon and Utah base Democrats alone. They had to be able to win over some mormon Republicans. And there were obviously enough of them whose racism and misogyny was stronger than their loyalty to party to make it happen.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.