Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 12:13PM

My wife and children are Mormon. My in-laws, well everyone I'm related to genetically or through my marriage are Mormon excepting one brother and a couple of his children.

In my house, I suggested years ago that it be moved from our living room to down in the hallway, hangs the First Presidency Portrait of Uncle Fester, German Silver Fox, and someone else.

The same photo hangs in my in-law's living room. I didn't check my parents home because I don't even know if my father knows the prophet changed less than a year ago.

But is it standard to have this photo out of date? Do any of your Mormons have yet to update the FP photo to the Tin Man prophet, the Cowardly Lying Judge, and the Strawman?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mel ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 12:16PM

Elder, that is funny. I imagine it must be pretty faded by now.

I don't know about standards for Mormonism but here in the South I still see many people of color with photos of JFK in their office.

So I would assume that as long as they feel a connection they still want the photo hanging there.

Date: December 12, 2018 12:19PM

mel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So I would assume that as long as they feel a
> connection they still want the photo hanging
> there.

Interesting hypothesis. It might be the case. Rusty "Tin Man" Nelson has done little to make Mormons feel special.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 12:53PM

For so many years I had to see GBH and then, worse, Monson hanging over the fireplace when I went to visit. Straight in front of you when you enter the front door. Jesus was on another wall more to the side. You had to make more of an effort to look as Jesus didn't seem to be craving the attention the others did.

One day they were gone--the old men, not Jesus. I never asked what happened or why. There has not been a Nelson yet. I am going home soon. With my luck though there will be not only Nelson but The Wendy too.

I don't think my family actually loves those guys. I think its just what you do as you wear your religion on your sleeve like those trucks I follow home sometimes saying "Jesus Saves." OR the other day I was talking to a nice kid who had the word "Redeemed tattoo'd on his forearm." I ask if he was a coupon. He didn't get the joke.

Date: December 12, 2018 01:10PM

"I ask if he was a coupon."

LOL! In case at the pearly gates there were any question.

Date: December 12, 2018 01:14PM

"One day they were gone--the old men, not Jesus."

I wonder if Rusty the heart surgeon has cut too much from Mormonism for people to even want to hang his photo? Maybe it hasn't been produced yet.

Googling...

They've been available for awhile.
https://deseretbook.com/p/5x7-first-presidency-nelson-oaks-eyring?variant_id=161572-print

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 01:24PM

Maybe it needs a Once Upon a Deadpool poster beside it.

Posted by: iburiedzelph ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 01:41PM

Maybe they assume the cost of frames and prints is tax- and tithing-deductible as it is associated with ancestor worship (all came from Adam's rib marrow at some point, right?).

And what happens when the photo is taken down? Surely, in the name of godly thrift, the frame is reused (which may affect the decor of the house over time if they decorate based on the trifecta of white guys — weird to think that Spence Kimball's mug may have contributed to the reason Martin Crane's striped recliner was never removed from your living room growing up). Is there a small spiderwebbed corner behind a 50-gallon drum of wheat in the downstairs dusty food storage room in which all the old prints are kept, growing over the years into a macabre shrine of flabby, used up hatchet-man apologists? I wonder if that corner feels any holier or if eventually it becomes avoided because it feels "evil" for some reason.

Do the people subconsciously see the changing of the guard as a demotion of sorts, thinking that the new prophet wishes to change things up for a reason they don't know about? Cronyism? The result of inner power struggles or inadvertent under-the-breath comments at marathon correlation meetings? Bad breath? The constant praying to infuse Boyd Packer with some semblance of humanity? One may never know.

Date: December 12, 2018 03:27PM

I wonder if as their "prophets" progress people don't age well with them changing? The ones from their memories fill up more important parts of them?

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 02:55PM

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 04:17PM

Done,

You are so funny: "Jesus didn't seem to be craving the attention the others did."

hahahah!

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 11:58PM

No DEAD people hang around me [for long]
I don't hang around most living people.

I'll venture: 5 minutes?

M@t

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 07:47AM

It's their sixth sense: They see dead people!

Date: December 13, 2018 10:59AM

They care more about the dead than the living.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 10:53AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.