Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Justin ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 01:39PM

I wonder if this would be the final nail in Mormonism. Mormons don't like to look stupid in front of the entire world. How many testimonies would be weakened if the endowment were shown on national tv? What would the public reaction be?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 01:45PM

Most members would be angry for the world mocking their sacred undies.

There would be more fallout if the church ordered them to stop wearing them and turn them in. That's how deep the brainwashing runs.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 01:48PM

Im gonna guess that the endowment is somehow copy righted???

That a side, Im guessing no big reaction, public or with members.
Members would feel persecuted in that what they hold to be sacred, and they do hold the endowment as sacred, was being shown. Hell, you can find it on the internet, so nothing earth shattering

The general public?? Since our culture is basically secular, most would think, "eh, religion. Whatever."

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 03:28PM

Agreed.

Mormonism is cosmically irrelevant. People have negative impressions and that's that.

If the temple ceremony were broadcasted, TV stations outside the jello belt wouldn't carry it because few people would watch. The most exposure the broadcast would receive is on Youtube, but much of the ceremony is already there.

Mormonism looms large in our lives. The rest of the world really, truly, doesn't care.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 05:32PM

IMO it would be hard to copyright material which was stolen from the Masons.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 09:52AM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> IMO it would be hard to copyright material which
> was stolen from the Masons.

Leave it to MORmONS (LD$ Inc) to feel entitled to do so and then to attempt it. after all, they tried to hijack the entire christian religion.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: December 17, 2018 08:08PM

summer Wrote:
> IMO it would be hard to copyright material which
> was stolen from the Masons.

I agree.

When "Big Love" showed Barb going through the endowment process, was the ceremony protrayed verbatim, or was it mwrely a paraphrase?

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 09:17PM

IIRC it was verbatim, however, to avoid any legal complications they changed the color of the apron to blue instead of green. If there was a copyright issue they would have tried it. They were really pissed off over that.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 01:51PM

the fallout would be Unbearable for the stations / network airing that; ChurchCo's next call would be to the legal team, then the PR wranglers...

some other churches would show or feign sympathy and/or concern.

Never Happen. Impossible, I'd say.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 02:02PM

If the endowment was shown on national TV, the fallout would have been due to a wardrobe malfunction most likely :)

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 02:04PM

It's been on YouTube for quite some time, anybody can see the whole thing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ErdgY6FkxI

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 02:17PM

Has ChurchCo tried to stop the Youtube?

Sue for copyright infringement?

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 02:49PM

I don't think they've sued...but this is an interesting story about the guy who made them (and what they church did to find out who he was):

https://medium.com/@marysnap/im-mary-snap-and-i-tracked-mike-norton-newnamenoah-at-the-lds-church-b9937127a071

Posted by: Just Wonderin ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 02:13PM

Thanks for the link. Very interesting reading!

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 02:43PM

It would be the comedy hit of the season.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 06:38PM

Xactly.

I think it should be a comedy show called Loud Laughter, shown right after the Svengoolie show.

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 02:51PM

It would be a ratings disaster. So dull and tedious.

Posted by: Lowpriest ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 09:43AM

+1

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 03:08PM

It seems to me that someone who looks like Mary Snap should at least cultivate a good personality instead of being a boasting snitch. That is all. Y'all have a nice afternoon.

Posted by: nli ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 06:42PM

Part of the temple endowment HAS been shown on national TV. Remember the episode of "Big Love" that showed the woman "at the veil" and reciting the names of the tokens, and later, with her mother and another woman in the Celestial Room. Jeanne Triplehorn was at the veil, her mother was played by Ellen Burstyn.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 10:29PM

They would need to make sure to use the old pre-1990 ceremony with the throat slashing and Satin teaching the protestant preacher how to deceive people, pay-lay-ale, five points of fellowship, etc..

Maybe some day Leah Remini will show all of this on A&E. Some people may laugh. Some will snicker. Others will be blown-away by it. Best of all, that God-forsaken so-called eternal ceremony that the church has since abandoned will embarrass the hell out of the church. Considering how the mormon church has abandoned the name mormon, they sure aren't going to want to dress-up to this.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2018 10:43PM by azsteve.

Posted by: Alan XL ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 07:53PM

It has been on a national TV station in Tonga. More than once!

Also don't forget that about 30% of the Tongan population is lds.

The general reaction was that Mormons are Odd anyway and that it looked batshit boring.

Basically a Who Cares.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 05:48AM

So true....it looks odd and batshit crazy and boring because it is all three.....and then some.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: December 16, 2018 02:23PM

I was led to believe that also when I lived in Utah. Reality is only about 17% are Mormon. Much more than the average in the US, but not even close to 30%.
https://www.state.gov/j/drl/rls/irf/2010/148900.htm

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 11:13AM

Well it kind of was in a Big Love episode. Not the whole thing, but enough to get the idea. Even the 2nd token was revealed.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 12:03PM

I won't be interested, but my guess is that there are those who follow the various tele-evangelists would find something new and interesting to watch.

Posted by: Krampus Kookies ( )
Date: December 15, 2018 12:59AM

Not much. there has already been a few million non mormons watch the Endowment session, thanks to Newnamemormon.

Posted by: Temp ( )
Date: December 16, 2018 02:10PM

The revival of Mystery Science Theater 3000?

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: December 17, 2018 07:50PM

Temp Wrote:
> The revival of Mystery Science Theater 3000?

Oh man. I would love to see them show the temple movie on Mystery Science Theater 3000. That would be a hoot!

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: December 17, 2018 08:58PM

"Why am I sharing this? I’m sharing this to make the point that the LDS Church, while trying to protect its own existence and the security of its members and leaders, *does* track certain members. I never once heard the term “Strengthening the Members Committee” when I was there. Everything I did was to try and protect the Church’s image and the security of its members. I was also told they don’t necessarily condone the creation of fake profiles like I do, but they never told me to stop when I said I was doing it. I was a small cog in a much larger machine built to protect the image of the Church, just doing my job. They appreciated the information I was giving them, and was helping them with."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.