Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: JusPoppedIn ( )
Date: December 16, 2018 04:08AM

Hi

I am an old member of this forum who hasnt been by, in a long time.
I thought i had recovered sufficiently, but - doh - got into a debate about mormons and tithing

I am trying to find an old ensign article - which some of you may remember - from an Xmas ensign, about paying tithing before paying necessities (rent, food, etc) - even if you cant afford both.

I recall it was the subject of a lot of discussion here.

I cant find it in the search (probably my fault, because I am not using the right search parameters)

If you remember it, and are good at searching the forum :-) can someone help me please

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: December 16, 2018 06:07AM

Try the December 2012 issue.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: December 16, 2018 06:44AM

Try this for starters.It's not exactly the one you are looking for, but it may help.

https://old.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comments/a6lqx8/mormonism_is_a_cufflinked_moneygrubbing_affair/

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: December 16, 2018 08:41AM

......"Church members have been counseled to pay their tithes and offerings before paying other expenses, even necessities. Elder Dallin H. Oaks taught, “The payment of tithing is a test of priorities” (“Tithing,” Ensign, May 1994, 35). As you show God your priorities, you will unlock greater opportunities for Him to bless you. The scriptures often emphasize that things must be done in order. (For examples, see 1 Corinthians 14:40, Mosiah 4:27, and Doctrine and Covenants 93:43.)"

https://www.lds.org/manual/personal-finances-for-self-reliance/3-paying-tithes-and-offerings/learn-maximum-time-45-minutes?lang=eng

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: December 16, 2018 08:45AM

From the Ensign:

"After reading these scriptures together, Bishop Orellana looked at the new convert and said, “If paying tithing means that you can’t pay for water or electricity, pay tithing. If paying tithing means that you can’t pay your rent, pay tithing. Even if paying tithing means that you don’t have enough money to feed your family, pay tithing. The Lord will not abandon you.”

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2012/12/sacred-transformations?lang=eng

Go to about the middle of the article.

Posted by: JusPoppedIn ( )
Date: December 16, 2018 12:11PM

Hi all,

Thanks for the help :-)

Posted by: decultified ( )
Date: December 16, 2018 12:28PM

Even better… how about an official General Conference address? No TBM can argue with that!

Lynn Robbins, April 2005 GC, "Tithing: A Commandment Even for the Destitute" (May 2005 Ensign, pp. 34-36):

"One of the first things a bishop *must* do to help the needy is ask them to pay their tithing. Like the widow [of Zarephath], if a destitute family is faced with the decision of paying their tithing or eating, they should pay their tithing. The bishop can help them with their food and other basic needs until they become self-reliant." [Emphasis in original.]

Later in the same address:

"In October of 1998 Hurricane Mitch devastated many parts of Central America. President Gordon B. Hinckley was very concerned for the victims of this disaster, many of whom lost everything – food, clothing, and household goods… [T]his modern prophet's message in each city was similar – to sacrifice and be obedient to the law of tithing."

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2005/04/tithing-a-commandment-even-for-the-destitute?lang=eng

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: December 16, 2018 04:34PM

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: December 16, 2018 04:38PM

That youtube is a talk on tithing by Lynn G. Robbings.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: December 16, 2018 05:32PM

May I editorialize with these two words?

FUCKED. UP.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 16, 2018 07:28PM

Prosperity gospel

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.