Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: December 17, 2018 03:36PM

Stopped into Mike's Drive-In in Oregon City last Friday with my wife for a burger. There were 3 missionaries seated in a booth near us. looked like they had a shake or something and were hanging out looking at their tablets. They looked a bit bored too.

When we were done eating, I went to the counter and bought 3 gift cards for them. I was in the process of getting them when they were leaving so I asked them to wait a minute. They seemed perplexed. While we waited, they asked my name, how the day was going, what I did for work, etc. I told them I'm an engineer and went to BYU, did a mission, etc.

I gave them the gift cards and they thanked me several times. They said they hadn't had lunch so they stayed and ordered as we left. They were genuinely surprised that a stranger did this, and I saw no reason to say anything about the church and my beliefs. I got fed a lot on my mission and now I hear the members are discouraged from doing that. I just wanted them to have a free meal and let them know someone was thinking about them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 17, 2018 04:16PM

Well done, RGB.
Your kindness was to those kids, not the church sending them out.
I'm sure they appreciated it.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 17, 2018 04:17PM

That was very kind of you. I'm glad they appreciated your generosity.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 03:31AM

I just view the missionaries as exploited kids. I was one once. I ran into some in Mexico. Turns out my hotel was in their proselyting area and I told them meet me at the hotel restaurant and I will buy you breakfast. They showed up and really appreciated it because they were living on beans and rice and maybe on Sunday they would get chicken.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 02:00PM

I was a missionary too once. 2 years in the Philippines. I'm also on the lookout to help other missionaries. You said that they are exploited kids and I really agree with you on this one.

Missionaries don't need our ire. They need some compassion and a way out, or at least a safe place to be themselves for a few hours.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: December 19, 2018 05:23AM

praydude Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was a missionary too once. 2 years in the
> Philippines. I'm also on the lookout to help
> other missionaries. You said that they are
> exploited kids and I really agree with you on this
> one.
>
> Missionaries don't need our ire. They need some
> compassion and a way out, or at least a safe place
> to be themselves for a few hours.

I really try to avoid giving anyone in the church any ire. It just drives them harder into their corner. Some people enjoy stirring the pot but nothing comes from doing that. I just try to show people who left the church are still good people and hey life is good out of the church and come join us in the fun.

Posted by: Mormon Nomore ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 02:10PM

Your story warmed my heart.

Years ago, whenever I saw tw missionaries, the Holy Ghost uttered witness to my soul that they were servants of the Most High.

Last weekend, when I saw two sister missiories in Bohol, that same spirit whispered, "Poor souls."

I bear you my witness that the Holy Ghost has also read the CES Letter.

Date: December 18, 2018 03:34PM

Are you living in Bohol? I was there for my final 4 months as a missionary. It was my favorite part of the Philippines. I was the ZL in Tagbilaran City. (1988)

It was so pretty and idyllic. Back when I was there the power was intermittent. I hope it is better now.

Date: December 18, 2018 03:54PM

praydude Wrote:
> Are you living in Bohol? I was there for my final
> 4 months as a missionary. It was my favorite part
> of the Philippines. I was the ZL in Tagbilaran
> City. (1988)
>
> It was so pretty and idyllic. Back when I was
> there the power was intermittent. I hope it is
> better now.

I am searching for a place to settle. Bohol runs around 3,000 pesos per square meter, Samar is about 1,800. Leyte averages 2,000 in the small villages and Cebu comes in at 2,000 for land an hour from the city.

I love the Filipino people, and so, I go to various LDS chapels and put the CES Letter intro flyer on their windshields. The only downside is that I can't stop singing the damn hymns I hear while doing the work.

Date: December 18, 2018 04:27PM

Wow. Those property values sound kind of high. I guess all things have gotten more expensive over the years.

When I was there it was my understanding that foreigners could not own land. Is that still the case or was this never the case? I'm sure that as a young missionary I didn't really understand the world around me.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 19, 2018 11:49AM

If you're open to Mindanao, I would suggest Tagum -- about an hour from Davao, and a very nice place (it's where my wife is from). Don't know what property costs/values are (even though I own a house there!) :)

Posted by: Darksparks ( )
Date: December 24, 2018 10:01AM

Tagbilaran City had zero members when I was working Cebu City back in 1970. So we opened Tagbilaran. Chocolate a hills was nice, but undeveloped...not a sari sari store in sight there.

One of my companions is now a federal judge...who'd a thought. and never saw that one coming.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 03:43PM

Love how examples of Exmo kindness abound here. It is nice to think of how much this counters the church's evil apostacy schtick.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 03:48PM

Is that why you did it?

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 03:59PM

I don't know what they assumed. In our brief exchange I mentioned I went to BYU and served a mission, that was all. I just wanted to treat them to a meal.

Next time I do this, and I will do it again, I may mention I'm a former mormon and point out that we can be nice people, regardless of our non-belief in their church.

Date: December 18, 2018 04:00PM

+1000!

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 04:10PM

I like your style.

Date: December 18, 2018 04:24PM

Roy G Biv Wrote:
> I don't know what they assumed. In our brief
> exchange I mentioned I went to BYU and served a
> mission, that was all. I just wanted to treat
> them to a meal.
>
> Next time I do this, and I will do it again, I may
> mention I'm a former mormon and point out that we
> can be nice people, regardless of our non-belief
> in their church.

In April 2019 General Conference, the revelation to not accept free food from apostates will be announced. Be careful what you post here.

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 05:42PM

"Did the mishies assume you helped them because you support the message?"

A while back while shopping at the grocery store, the missionaries pulled their cart in my line behind me. After I was checked out I told the cashier that I would be paying for their groceries as well. The missionaries were shocked, surprised, and happy. As they thanked me afterwards, I told them that I was once at a point in their life that they were at now. I told them I had left the church, could not be happier, and not to interpret my kindness as some sort of "support of their message", answer to their prayers, or a faith promoting experience. Far from it.

I wished them luck in their life's journey and mentioned that they didn't have to be a member of the church or even believe in a god in order to be a good, loving, caring person. As I was walking away I turned back and said, "How many times have members paid for your weekly groceries? Isn't it something that the only time it has happened for you was from a non-believing ex-mormon heathen? Think about that for a bit." I left them standing there shocked, surprised, and confused. And perhaps with a planted seed.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 05:56PM

Sweet!

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: December 19, 2018 12:15AM

We don't see mishies very often. Our house is composed of one apostate, one inactive, and two religiously indifferent felines. However, when we do see mishies, we are nice to them.

We offered to let them watch the last Super Bowl at our house, and had a liberal supply of chips, dips, appetizers and a veggie plate. Plus sodas.

It was easy to see that the junior comp was totally digging this. The senior comp, however, announced that they were leaving before the end of the first quarter.

You can show them the way, but you can't make them jump ship if they aren't ready.

Date: December 18, 2018 03:54PM

I love people who help someone--no strings attached. Missionaries are someone just like everybody else.

When I was a missionary and strangers were nice for no apparent reason, then, I finally felt connected to the real world.

Date: December 18, 2018 03:59PM

Done & Done Wrote:
> When I was a missionary and strangers were nice
> for no apparent reason, then, I finally felt
> connected to the real world.

You were one of the people I thought were making the best of a bad situation. Maybe you liked your mission but you really "loved the people."

I have relatives for whom they assumed other people's kindness was their due because of who they were and what they believed. They mocked the people often.

They would not have appreciated an Exmo helping them and would have probably thrown the gift card away or tried to give it to other people.

Date: December 18, 2018 04:08PM

I knew a lot of missionaries like you describe--Constantly made fun of the people and put them down acting like they were so superior. The mission was hard. There were some really great guys on missions too though. I had a couple for companions.

I never considered whether I liked the mission or not. I just did my duty. I loved the people and the culture. They made the two years bearable. I always, even as a TBM Missionary, felt like they had more to offer me than I did them.

Date: December 18, 2018 04:15PM

Done & Done Wrote:
> I
> always, even as a TBM Missionary, felt like they
> had more to offer me than I did them.

Me too! I know what you mean. Mormonism stripped down my possible experiences with the people to a cult-focused level. I felt like my hands were tied.

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: December 19, 2018 12:29AM

I do this too. Many people fed my sons and I want to do the same so other parents have peace of mind.

Posted by: Bring in the Brass Monkeys! ( )
Date: December 19, 2018 01:25AM

I travel a lot.
And I feed missionaries when I can.

I had a Minneapolis connection through Salt Lake to my home in the Bay Area, and there were two missionaries in the Airport.
I asked them, whether they were going home at the end of their missions.
“Yes.”
“Have you had dinner?”
“No.”
(Handing them $40) “Here! There is a nice restaurant right behind you!”
Then after they had eaten (I didn’t bother them during dinner, because I didn’t want to let them find out I was not active), I took their picutures on my iPhone, and sent them ahead to their families who were waiting in the Airport in Salt Lake.

Posted by: Hollt die Eisenen Affen her! ( )
Date: December 19, 2018 01:34AM

And once I was visiting my sister in the Central Valley, and two sisters crossed the parking lot outside the Greek restaurant where we were eating.

To my sister: “Do you want to feed those missionaries?”
“Yes!”

I dashed outside and invited them to dinner.

We had a wonderful visit, ordered a huge repast, and they were very hungry!
One sister missionary let slip they were at the end of their money month.
My sister (rest her soul) who was moderately wealthy, flipped them each a $100. Sis got big hugs from two Sister missionaries!
I extended my hand to them.

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: December 19, 2018 09:17AM

I appreciate stories like the OP's. Yes, missionaries can be annoying, and there are certainly some bad ones, but at the end of the day they are all just kids. I would like to think that their parents would be grateful that a stranger did something nice for their kids at a time of year when they are no doubt missing home very much.

Posted by: Snickers ( )
Date: December 19, 2018 03:08PM

Talking to the Missionaries is like talking to a debt collector. All they want is your information so they can pursue you further. I wouldn't personally do anything to make their mission easier, maybe they will wake up later and realize what scam they were a part of.

Giving them stuff and being nice to them will equate to 'blessings' in their eyes and further strengthen their efforts, and now they have your name, number, and address.

Just don't do it!

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: December 19, 2018 04:48PM

I think almost everyone on here was talking about helping them in a non church atmosphere.
They probably get fed more by non or ex members.It also shows them that what they hear about us from the church isn’t true.
They’re probably shown more compassion by us than by members, especially on their missions, where they can’t go home, have to give up their passports, are worked early in the morning until late at night.
They’re just babies , really.
When they’re inside of a ward, they have an audience, so they have to look like they’re “ working “

Posted by: Evergreennotloggedin ( )
Date: December 25, 2018 01:45AM

Trying to take care of some of the missionaries food worries is laudable.

It angers me that the church can't bother to use the billions of dollars of incoming revenue from tithing and investments to properly feed and house their young missionaries who are proselytizing for the church.

Their families pay monthly amounts and the church provides minimal sustenance and housing in return and heavilies rely on the members and others to take care of the shortfall.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.