Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: January 05, 2019 05:30PM

I grew up in the Seattle WA Stake, Seattle 2nd Ward.

At the time, I remember the 2nd Ward, the 4th Ward, the 6th Ward, the 9th Ward and a Vashon branch. That being said, since I detested church, I'm sure I'm remembering it wrong.

Does anybody know what the Seattle Washington Stake used to be, ward wise?

Also, since they changed names all over the place, what is it today?

Does anybody know?

I looked on the mormon website, and it lists names, but only lists Burien Ward, Normandy Park Ward & West Seattle Ward (which is the former 2nd Ward), then it lists the Vashon Branch, and a couple of wards/branches that are language specific.

Seriously?

You mean to tell me that they are down to 3 "normal" wards and a branch? IIRC, there are 4 buildings in the stake: West Seattle, Myers Way, "The Stake Center" and the Normandy Park Building.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: January 05, 2019 07:03PM

In 1974 we were in the Seattle 14th, with Bishop Kione. He had some inflated ego.

Date: January 05, 2019 09:15PM

Was that before the seattle/seattle north split? I remember hearing about the 14th ward, but I dunno if it was in the Seattle Stake or not.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: January 05, 2019 08:07PM

I'm somewhat familiar with the N Seattle stake, also lived in the First Ward...

Do U have a specific question?
When forced school bussing was implemented, there was a lot of 'white flight', but that was in the 70's ...

Date: January 05, 2019 09:14PM

I suppose my question is what is the unit growth from, say the 1970's on?

My mother moved into the area in 1974. We were in the Seattle 2nd Ward. IIRC, at the time it was "bishop" Barnes. Then Bishop Thorn, Then Bishop Bingham, then Bishop Townsend, then I went on my mission and when I came home there was a new bishop and I never followed them from that point on.

We had one stake center, two multi-ward buildings, one branch building, and they built the meyers way building around the time I was waning. I think they still manage all the buildings, but we used to have two wards per building back then. I wonder how many per building now?

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 05, 2019 08:39PM

I was in the Seattle area during the 90's-2,000's (after having exited/ quit Mormonism/ TMC, but before learning [all the truths] the truth about mormonism, finding RFM, and resigning, some time later) and never saw a Mormon, never thought of one, never saw an LSD church or temple (until one day crossing the I 90; ick!) or even remembered LDSism.

I made myself unmormonlike.
Unapproachable, by LDStandards.
Far Out! Natural (enemy of God?).
Untouchable, by being beautiful.
Honest. Myself. Free. Happy. Wise.

Of course people in the Emerald City leave the LDSc. Folks moving to the area aren't very LDS. Even the LDS are leaving (the area, and especially TSCC).

The MORMONS QUIT the BSA and subsequently 4 of 5 Puget Sound B.S.A. camps closed recently... because the Mormons MADE a stink, and another rule, and FORCED about a thousand area scouts, even ALL LDS boy scouts, to ABANDON their beloved BSA organization.

These weren't worthless camps that could easily be replaced; lost forever because the mormons quit the BSA, because of pride, and inability to lead.

M@t

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2019 03:44PM by moremany.

Posted by: Anon3 ( )
Date: January 14, 2019 05:14PM

I thought the exodus from the BSA was because of the sexual assault cases Kent and Seattle and the 3 boyscouts who stood up when the BSA scout leader and the church was sued. I think one of the guys is part of this group.

Posted by: Swirltyhing ( )
Date: January 14, 2019 04:51PM

I'm 47. grew up in Seattle 12th. Became Seattle 15th at some point in my youth, sometime in the early 80s IIRC. That was the south end, DesMoines area.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.