Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: January 07, 2019 12:02PM

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2019/01/06/kirby-id-trust-any-girl/

>>Just about everyone still connected with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints got a bit of what they wanted. Less time, more leveling of gender disparity, better understanding and more encouragement to volunteer.

>>I got zip. I was hoping for a reintroduction of the old-school animal sacrifice in the temple rituals. You know, like when attendees would buy a dove and offer it to a priest to bite its head off during some sacred ritual.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 04:08PM

The Kibster is ma' man. If more Mormons were like him, I'd consider going once in a while.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 14, 2019 03:56PM

mrtranquility Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If more Mormons were like
> him, I'd consider going once in a while.

That made me shudder. I've known many many Mormons like him. They are constantly ribbing others about being uptight Mormons. In the end they always follow their prophet to boring meetings, unfulfilling callings, and accepting unbelievable disconnects between them and their co-religionists.

Despite their purple tieless shirts, cargo pants, unkempt long hair, and colorful language they are only fun in their criticism of what they appear outwardly to be not yet inwardly uphold and always end up scolding others for not upholding.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2019 05:49PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: January 14, 2019 10:10PM

I agree with your thinking. Laid back Mormon is still Mormon. Kirby's swearing and purple shirts do not protect LGBT people from harm. His ribbing of others doesn't cause the brethren to give true autonomy to women. Kirby's long hair does nothing to stop sexually intrusive questioning of minors.

Date: January 15, 2019 11:34AM

Dorothy Wrote:
> Kirby's long hair does nothing
> to stop sexually intrusive questioning of minors.

And he will never address it directly in an article. That isn't his "way."

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 10:45AM

You've met my BIL, then.

He comes across as irreverent, but only in the most narrow context. Scratch the surface, and he's hardcore TBM.

Date: January 15, 2019 11:35AM

Probably. In my 15 years as an inactive irritant to Mormons I've had my share of Kirby types trying to reactivate me. It would be so cool to have me back?

Posted by: Snickers ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 04:27PM

Could you imagine the glares he gets from everyone when he goes to his meetings? I bet members are afraid to speak with him because they don't want to end up in his article!

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 04:35PM

“Mom already told me you can’t tell the difference between the Holy Ghost and drugs.”

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 05:26PM

Wow. I'd like to know your mom!

Date: January 14, 2019 05:44PM

I think that statement of his is like a hidden mixed metaphor. "The Holy Ghost" is just a metaphor for feelings. Drugs are completely different. To mix the two is in poor taste unless you think like Marx. Maybe Kirby is a hidden atheist?

Posted by: OneWayJaj ( )
Date: January 12, 2019 12:21PM

Too bad he doesn't have the balls to get out. He wants the dollars for tweaking LD$,inc and shows he doesn't really believe their crap - but he won't leave. His wife has the balls in their family.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: January 12, 2019 02:13PM

He's an obvious parasite on other people's emotions. Rather than being some kind of hero, he's simply an artifact of the pathetically inbred Salt Lake media market.

I really hope he gets fired, but the Trib is being massively subsidized by a billionaire's family, who are free to keep him for mysterious reasons of their own.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: January 13, 2019 03:12AM

I think he’s pretty valuable right where he is.

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 12:38PM

What is too bad is that Robert Kirby is no Tom Barberi. Hell, he's not even up to a Mills Crenshaw.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 12:54PM

That's true. But nobody tops his imaginary adolescent conversations, high shenanigans and "awe shucks" apologies.

Date: January 16, 2019 11:19AM

Not after his gummies and public humiliating stunt. Kirby's reality is full of adolescent conversations, shenanigans, and apologetics.

Edit: added a missing comma.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2019 11:20AM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: January 16, 2019 04:37PM

This might be a good time for a closing hymn...…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZm96PKwtHc

Date: January 16, 2019 04:40PM

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: January 16, 2019 04:52PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
> And prayer...
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpEX6B6mOc8

And I was expecting some bad Oriental cover of Come on Irene.

Date: January 16, 2019 05:17PM

LOL!

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: January 16, 2019 06:52PM

I was expecting Good Night Irene. I'm old!

Date: January 16, 2019 06:34PM

We are as always honoured with your input Nightie dear.

:o)

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: January 16, 2019 06:46PM

Thanks, Shum.

I've been away a while. Thought of RfM from time to time though.

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: January 16, 2019 06:50PM

Hmmm. This thread feels shorter.

And more serene.

Date: January 16, 2019 06:57PM

Looks like it got a hair cut.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: January 16, 2019 07:57PM

I know my (completely accurate and prescient) post commenting on both cabbie and Kirby got deleted.

Not that I’m biased in the least.

Date: January 16, 2019 09:29PM

They often get deleted just because they are responding to a post that got deleted. It's likely not personal. I saw your post and didn't thing there was anything that crossed a line. It was just a response to something that did.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 16, 2019 10:00PM

MWA, your post got deleted, like mine, because some people asked that Cabbie's personal attacks against EB be removed. When that happened, all the responsive posts went away too.

No one thinks you wrote anything inappropriate.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: January 17, 2019 12:30AM

I had forgotten that happens sometimes.

I actually thought someone reported my posts. I am often a poor gauge of what is considered... offensive.

Date: January 16, 2019 06:56PM

So is Clapton although he was a bit younger in the above video.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: January 16, 2019 07:09PM

I wouldn't know. The Trib is still verboten in Europe due to the EU's decision to try to cut Europe off from the filthy internet.

Date: January 17, 2019 12:15PM

I appreciated that Cabbie posted this thread. I believe Kirby needs to be examined by RfM posters who know of him and have read some of him.

He forms part of the important "folk of the fringe" in Mormonism. I dislike him for a variety of reasons chief being his usefulness to Mormons in sustaining this abusive organization. And it is a matter of taste.

Some might find this extremely funny and poking fun at the Morg.

">>I got zip. I was hoping for a reintroduction of the old-school animal sacrifice in the temple rituals. You know, like when attendees would buy a dove and offer it to a priest to bite its head off during some sacred ritual."

Me? All I could think about was how women don't cover their heads anymore "during some sacred ritual."

In the same vein, he actually defended the men in one of his pieces who physically removed the poor woman desperate to draw attention to her story of abuse in the MTC. And the icing was not to long after that he was found to have humiliated a woman in a public forum.

That is indefensible no matter his comic genius. I have yet to see anything he writes do much more than poke fun at Mormon inanity and subtly support status quo. But I like how he isn't homophobic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2019 12:16PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: January 17, 2019 01:49PM

You brought up an important point for me, Elder Berry, which is to realize and remember that one's take on Mormonism is directly related to our experience with it. People can range from admiring their (apparent) ethics and achievements to escaping from living nightmares in their youth, from their family of origin or due to certain Mormon leaders or members.

Of course we each react differently to our unique experiences and exposure to the Mormon Church. Some exmos have fond memories of particular experiences or programs. Others went through hell (eg: with Scout leaders etc). Some had relatively good childhoods, others couldn't get away from family and/or church fast enough due to negative experiences. Some converts can shrug when it turns out differently than they expected, others are more deeply affected.

I found it took me time to get over the negative experiences I had as a (so-called) convert (I don't consider that I literally converted as I never believed in the JS myth; I told them that but, of course, they said it was OK to get baptized anyway and silly me - I fell for it. I try never to regret any experience but as time goes on I do regret it more). I especially regret that I went through with baptism. The ritual was so important to me and, as I have detailed here often, it was a farce and worse in my case; very hurtful and spiritually damaging to me for a time. I lost (apparent) friends over it and eventually left (so that was the best outcome in a tough situation, as it turns out).

As a short term member/adult convert, the damage was limited and get-over-able. Still, there's not much I could read/see/hear about Mormonism that could make me laugh. I don't find it endearing or funny or cute or admirable. At all. Also, I can visualize and feel at least a tiny portion of the pain others express due to their own encounters with Mormonism, especially BICs, as we speak of extensively here.

For someone with your life story related to the Mormon Church, and with what you are going through now with a daughter on a mission for a church you dislike (understatement) and a divided family, due solely to religion - the opposite of the ethos they dishonestly project - of course you don't find anything to chuckle about when it comes to cute little stories about the church and its people, especially the leaders of such an organization.

Perfectly understandable and a good reminder, as I say, that of course we will react differently to various Mormon-related issues, due largely to how negative the effects of Mormonism are/have been on our lives.

Some things are just.not.funny. to various folks, for understandable reasons.

Date: January 17, 2019 03:17PM

Thanks Night (in shining insights.) like usual you nailed it. My colored lens show Kirby as something totally different than others see. And like many things my perspective isn't the "right" one. Just. one.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 17, 2019 07:50PM

Thank you for sharing your insight, Nightingale. The church did a lot of damage to my convert friend as well. The religion turned out to be a very bad fit for her, but it was a painful process to extricate herself.

Date: January 18, 2019 11:51AM

summer Wrote:
> The religion turned out to be a
> very bad fit for her, but it was a painful process
> to extricate herself.

I wonder who it is a good fit for? IT seems to bring people down a lot and doesn't resonate with their evangelizing their beliefs. The Mormons I know and love never look for chances to share their truth.

Date: January 18, 2019 12:27PM

I've known some really nice mormons, but I never saw them really happy. They were sincere in their devotion to the message of Christianity though. That made them a little unusual, in my opinion.

Date: January 18, 2019 12:29PM

Ha! So true! The Mormons for whom Mormonism "fits" focus on being Christlike and that often flies in the face of their cultural mores.

Funny, being indoctrinated to be happily following Mormonism doesn't quite fit being Christlike.

Who'd of thunk it?

Date: January 18, 2019 12:33PM

Seeing as how his name rarely comes up in their meetings, it's no wonder. Most mormons prefer to focus on their pioneer ancestors and the worship of Joe. It's much more comfortable as the message is grim determination rather than love. That, they can relate to.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.