Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 07, 2019 11:12PM

So to kick off the church's new study-at-home lessons, it starts off with this official quote. Maybe it's just me, but this quote reads awkwardly if not illiterate.

Elder David A. Bednar taught: “As learners, you and I are to act and be doers of the word and not simply hearers who are only acted upon. Are you and I agents who act and seek learning by faith, or are we waiting to be taught and acted upon?

Be doers and not hearers? Huh?

This sounds stupid as a way to "kick off" their new learn-at-home program. Am I being too harsh?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2019 11:13PM by messygoop.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: angela ( )
Date: January 07, 2019 11:17PM

It comes from James 1:22

But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves. (KJV)

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: January 07, 2019 11:30PM

Well I for one am waiting to be "acted upon." If god want's me to do something, he better tell me. In the mean time I'll do what I damn well please.

(That's not quite what Bednard expected)

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 07, 2019 11:33PM

Thanks Angela.

I guess I was thinking of dialogue from the Wizard of Oz.

Good-deed-doers.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: January 07, 2019 11:36PM

messygoop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks Angela.
>
> I guess I was thinking of dialogue from the Wizard
> of Oz.
>
> Good-deed-doers.

LOL

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: January 08, 2019 12:44AM

I can't believe this!!!

Study at home BUT the cult gives you the lessons to study??? Oh my god--

The MormonCult cannot trust their members to choose material to study in THEIR OWN HOMES. I know I should have known this would be the case----I mean the cult all but writes talks given in Sacrament Mtgs as well as outlining what goes in a prayer.

How will this be monotored? Tests? Cameras installed in members' homes?

Sheesh.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: January 08, 2019 02:10AM

"How will this be monotored? Tests? Cameras installed in members' homes?"

This is my main question. I'm checking RFM for the answers.

I said to my fanatic TBM brother, with whom I NEVER discuss religion, "So...why did the Mormons (I could see him flinch at the word) shorten their meetings?"

TBM Brother: "We're supposed to do more studying and learning at home."

Me: "They can't control that."

TBM Brother: "It's just a suggestion."

Me: "Oh, like going on a mission."

TBM Brother: Silence.

Me (in all sincerity): "I wonder what the church leaders are thinking...why are they doing this?"

TBM Brother: Silence while he pours a glass of water.

Me: "They won't have to heat the buildings as much."

TBM Brother: "That definitely has something to do with it."

My TBM brother is the ward financial clerk.

I was surprised that my brother didn't say it was a "revelation", or anything from God. I know him, and I'm almost positive that he will never give his kids formal instruction, because he values his time with them. He is a great Dad, and plays with his kids, and they go on a lot of family camping weekends, skiing, and outings. He's their soccer coach, he helps them with their homework, etc., but I don't see him corralling his kids into an unpleasant, boring manual-reading session in the living room.

I am very curious about what the consequences will be for his neglect of this new "suggestion"!

Posted by: flutterbypurple ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 11:05AM

I have heard that the lessons given in church are supposed to be the same topic as the study guide at home only one week later.
This way the primary, RS, elder and HP groups can feel out if the members are actually doing the study at home. If they can discuss the topic in church they are studying. If not then they are not following council by studying at home.
I have also heard there will be some sort of return and report to the bishop so then the members can be admonished for not following program.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 09:57AM

Thanks David B.

I was pro-active as you suggest. I went ahead and resigned rather than wait for you and your comrades to figure out how to make your organization worth my time.

I am done being acted upon.

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 10:08AM

It is soooooo culty to begin the sentence with: "Elder Douchebag taught..." rather than: "Elder Douchebag said..."

Enough with the f#@%ing teaching already!! makes me sick.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 11:01AM

It doesn't exactly roll of the tongue. It's also not very catchy. In a competent situation, it would have been edited for clarity of thought. But I'm guessing a certain "Elder" didn't want his words messed with.

Posted by: laughing in provo ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 11:09AM

someone ask me about the new study time. i told them i study what i feel moved to study, by subject and dont ever use the manuals which appear to be written for second graders.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 11:46AM

Consult the CES letter for clarification.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 03:22PM

Bednar has a book series where he is hawking the philosophical idea that humans are "agents" and need to move from more passive Mormons to more "active" Mormons.

This sums up his Mormonism in Mormonism.

"Are you and I agents who act and seek learning by faith, or are we waiting to be taught and acted upon?"

I think he really doesn't believe there are any homosexual Mormons. They are just agents being acted upon and reacting in a way he thinks his god(s) deem ungodly.

It is actually really scary and I've looked into it.

If you are a Bednar Mormon you are up to your tits in motivational Mormonism. I thought he was the new Packer. Nope. He is more a Steven Covey with hierarchy power.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.