Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Notevenhere ( )
Date: January 08, 2019 01:56PM

Mormon doctrine "changes" over time. Brigham Young taught that Adam was the Father of our spirits (Adam-God Doctrine), but, today, anyone who teaches the Adam-God Doctrine is excommunicated. Joseph Smith taught that Jesus was the Son of Jehovah, but, again, the Church today teaches that Jesus ___is_ Jehovah, the Son of Elohim. Mormons are never told of these contradictions. They are told only enough to make them blindly obedient to Mormon leaders.

The Quorum of the 12 in 1841 taught:

“We believe in God the Father, who is THE GREAT JEHOVAH and head of all things, and that Christ is the Son of God, co-eternal with the Father” (Times and Seasons; Vol. 3, p.358; November 15, 1841).
And Joseph Smith, in a letter he penned in 1842, wrote:

“O Thou, who seest and knowest the hearts of all men—Thou eternal, omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent JEHOVAH—God—Thou Elohim, that sittest, as saith the Psalmist, ‘enthroned in heaven,’ look down upon Thy servant Joseph at this time; and let faith on the name of THY SON Jesus Christ, to a greater degree than Thy servant ever yet has enjoyed, be conferred upon him, even the faith of Elijah; and let the lamp of eternal life be lit up in his heart, never to be taken away; and let the words of eternal life be poured upon the soul of Thy servant, that he may know Thy will, Thy statutes, and Thy commandments, and Thy judgments, to do them” (History of the Church; Vol.5, ch.6, p.127-128; 1842).
Mormons today believe the following:

1. Church doctrine has been consistent from the days of Joseph Smith until today.

2. The current Living Prophet (Thomas S. Monson) speaks to Jesus as a man speaks with another man, in the Temple, frequently.

3. Church doctrine has never changed.

4. Church leaders have had visions and received Revelation, but they do not publish them because they are too sacred.

NONE OF THE ABOVE IS TRUE. It is all false.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 08, 2019 05:16PM

#2: you do know that Monson is dead, right?

Posted by: Snickers ( )
Date: January 08, 2019 05:22PM

When you head out to mormon dot org... the very first line you read is "Welcome to a living faith, ..."

They believe that their doctrine is "living", that is, changing from day to day because they have a "living" prophet that holds all the keys to make these changes.

What someone has said in the past is irrelevant. What the scriptures say is irrelevant. What a past prophet has said is irrelevant. What was said yesterday is irrelevant. They are free to change the gospel on a dime if they want to.

Welcome to the new Mormon church... a "living faith".

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 08, 2019 05:44PM

Fascinating. Thanks for posting this. I had no idea! I knew that the Jehovah became Jesus thing was a "fleck" of Mormon History but not this.

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: January 09, 2019 02:32PM

And this is life-eternal that they might KNOW THEE and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

... I guess the surety of life-eternal is in real question now.

I remember many years ago when, as a TBM, I first discovered this obvious flaw in mormon theology -- I was devastated over this one point -- this was also a time in my life when I was actually quite enthralled with the Adam-Gawd doctrine (which, apparently in my case, leads straight to loss of my "testimony")

Thank my lucky stars in the Adam-Gawd doctrine.

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: January 09, 2019 03:09PM

I'm failing to see how Jehovah = Elohim, and Adam Gawd doctrine is such a heresy. The BOM (1830 version) is so mixed up anyway, it starts of with one and only god of Nephi and then towards the end there's the 3 gods of Moroni. And the Bibles very confusing with the great "I am" of Moses, and then Jehovah and then in Isaiah all of the sudden there are 2-3 gods with the introduction of a son of god, then back to one god after Isaiah, Then the new testament it's 3 gods again.

And in modern day christiandom no one can quite decide how many gods there are either. The Catholics even putting Mary-god up with the man-gods and then the Saints are somewhere in between acting like gods. And of course the evangelicals believe in one god Jesus being all the gods in one. And then there is the Mahamadans-Allah! praise be his name!

My guess is that if god cared about how many he was or what he was or is or whatever, he would have let humanity know long ago.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 09, 2019 03:22PM

anono this week Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My guess is that if god cared about how many he
> was or what he was or is or whatever, he would
> have let humanity know long ago.

Mormonism claims to have prophetic knowledge of such things.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.