Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tamboruco ( )
Date: January 08, 2019 07:05PM

If you didn't think TSCC was a scam take a look at these very expensive (very pricey for Cedar City) home building lots around the Cedar City temple in southern Utah. This is just bizarre. What other church in the world does stuff like this? City Creek Living is one of the real estate development subsidiaries of TSCC. So this is the deal with new temples now - buy up a ton of land and then sell off building lots around it? On the one hand I guess you have to hand it to them - they'll have TBM's lapping them up but geez it's just weird.

I wonder if you actually own (deeded) the ground you build on? Word has it that the condos around temple square in SLC are leased for a period of 99 years - something like that. Maybe someone knows more about it but hell folks - this ain't the church of JC - it's a money making machine.

Here's a link to one of the lots:

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/W-Temple-Cv_Cedar-City_UT_84720_M19808-59512?view=qv

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 08, 2019 07:45PM

With a bird's eye view like that of Cedar City temple, das ist some expensive nightmare!

Who else but a Mormon would want to build on a lot called Temple Cove overlooking that panorama? Maybe it's prettier at night with the twinkly lights.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: January 08, 2019 09:18PM

At least those lots in Cedar are just up the hill from the Market Grill. Everyone but the truest of believers would find the food at the Grill a lot more satisfying than a temple session :)

Posted by: jc ( )
Date: January 08, 2019 10:54PM

Wish I had millions and millions of dollars to waste.

I'd buy up all the lots on the prepared street with those two culdesacs. I'd build nice homes on each lot and give them away to gay couples with kids. Take that broom stick up yours - Dallin Oaks.

Imagine...

Posted by: TX Rancher ( )
Date: January 08, 2019 11:53PM

Yikes. $115,000 per lot? At first I thought that was for a built home and laughed....but then realized it was just for the lot. For Cedar City it should be more like $15,000 for an ACRE or two. Is this an LDS owned land? Either the church thinks people will pay this or a developer thinks they can take the same advantage of people.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: January 09, 2019 01:50AM

After my mom died, my dad remarried to a woman from Provo. We all wanted him to marry someone like mom, but that didn't happen but it was good that he was married.

She had 3 adult sons and it was pretty obvious that they didn't want anything to do with their new stepfamily, at least 2 of them. The oldest one, who died last year at about 80+, owned a business in downtown Provo. If I said his name, anyone who has been around Provo very long would know him.

My oldest sister was quite friendly with his wife when she lived in Provo and called her to offer condolences when he died. She told my sister that when the church announced that they were converting the Provo Tabernacle (is that what it was?) in downtown to a new Temple, all of the land that they olwned quadrupled in value. And they owned a lot of land and buildings in the downtown Provo area.

But did she offer any $$ to her poor stepbrothers and sisters? Nope, not that we expected it.

Posted by: Laughing in provo ( )
Date: January 09, 2019 02:08AM

When the Mormons were in Nauvoo they did the same thing. Got land for nothing and then sold it to the converts who gathered to zion.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: January 09, 2019 09:43AM

How big are the lots?

If the streets, power water and sewer are in, the cost could be reasonable.

If you can get an acre outside of town for $15k, it might cost you a lot more than $100k to have power brought in, a well dug etc.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 09, 2019 09:56AM

The lot in the link is .39 of an acre. I don't know if it's developed or not.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 09, 2019 10:49AM

Mormons want to live next to the temple. So what if TSCC is cashing in on that? They already worship the almighty dollar.

Overpricing the real estate around the temple guarantees that only Mormons live there. But if you’re not LDS, nobody will sell you a house next to the temple anyway.

Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: January 09, 2019 12:03PM

Not to name names.

A former politician of Cedar City may have been the one who was "heavily involved" in acquiring the land upon which the temple was built. Said individual has been closely connected with the temple ever since and probably before. No doubt it involves money, tithing, prestige and politics.

Said individual is likely involved in the building lot land deals. I have personal knowledge of a dishonest transaction of his in which he acquired another piece of property from someone in a very vulnerable position. I also have personal knowledge that his business practices were unethical and involved being in cahoots with deal makers who awarded contracts.

Nothing holy about that whole temple deal.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2019 10:43AM by auntsukey.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: January 09, 2019 12:05PM

Wow. This is very interesting, and I guess is the reason they would build in the middle of nowhere, because its the only place where there is vacant land around for the church to buy.

Posted by: No name this time ( )
Date: January 09, 2019 12:25PM

The church was donated, or at least bought under market value this property from a TBM family. Trying to buy their way into heaven. Church owns the entire hillside, and possibly the other side of the street as well. I witnessed the soil testing that was done on the hillside before they settled on the placement of the temple.
The lot in the link is at the back of the cul-de-sac and has a nature/natural buffer zone in the back of the lot down to the street below. Utilities are all in. 17 lots total in the development.
I have properties that are visible in the photos. Smaller than this lot and have turned down offers of $80k. $115 is not to far out of line with other properties on Leigh Hill and Mesa Hills subdivisions. Especially for a "view" lot.

Definitely a real estate company masquerading as a religion though.

Ruined my dailey walking route and I don't need nightlights in my house anymore. I need blackout curtains instead! Damn lit up eyesoar. After I learned the temple was going to be built there I made sure to "relieve" myself in the trees during my exercise excursions. Piss on the LDS church.
On the positive side though, my house AND the properties have gone up in value for when I get the hell outta dodge.

Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: January 09, 2019 02:51PM

The land was acquired and the Cedar City Planning committee had already effected the plan in April 2012. Temple was announced in 2013.

Is this the usual timeline for temple construction?

Posted by: mankosuki ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 10:39AM

I like the looks of the temple parking lot in the photos. Almost empty.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.