Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jay ( )
Date: January 08, 2019 07:52PM

Since everyone is growing a beard these days, have members lightened up on beards? I have a good mormon friend who grew his beard out and I'm wondering if it's a sign . . . or if its just a beard.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 08, 2019 08:36PM

Are you referring to men or women?

Not Allowed for leadership positions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2019 08:37PM by GNPE.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: January 09, 2019 12:16PM

Then God and Jesus are right out!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 08, 2019 08:42PM

It used to be HUGE, but he has trimmed it down quite a bit, but it isn't by any means SHORT. They are both TBMs. I see a lot of beards in mormons these days.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: January 08, 2019 09:09PM

Every Mormon “prophet” from 1847-1951 had a beard. God can sure be fickle.

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: January 09, 2019 08:33AM

I'm guessing Russ will be having a "revelation" soon to put the hammer down on that.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: January 09, 2019 09:25AM

I'm not a beard guy, and leaving LDS, Inc. didn't change that. Going two days without shaving drives me bonkers. But to each their own face.

Anyway, I saw a lot of beards going on over Christmas in UT. Brother, several cousins, uncles etc. Don't know what's up with it. Maybe it's a way to express slight independence from Morg norms--I don't know.

Posted by: Hugh Geoffens-Kaamm ( )
Date: January 09, 2019 09:25AM

In the Denton, Texas ward I attend both bishop's counselors have full, dark beards. They've been in those jobs several months already and still sport the beards. Either it's OK now or there are some rebels in the hierarchy.

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: January 09, 2019 11:02AM

Depends on the ass-hat in charge of the stake and how ass-hatty he is.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: January 09, 2019 11:58AM

What a silly thing to control. Why on earth would a man having a beard influence anything about his judgment, decision-making, character, etc.?

Posted by: Just Wonderin ( )
Date: January 11, 2019 03:37PM

I remember getting the business from a member of the stake presidency over wearing a slightly pink dress shirt to a church meeting. I liked it. My wife liked it. It was very conservative. What was the problem exactly?

Mindless rule following (including the unwritten rules), no matter how minor, was the point, I guess.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: January 09, 2019 01:42PM

Is there somewhere that someone can checkout all the official rules that members must obey, or is most just hearsay?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 09, 2019 02:44PM

The problem with Mormonism is that no sooner is something written than it becomes obsolete. This applies to doctrine as well as the silly nit pic things.

There is a leadership handbook but it is forbidden for the average member to read it. I think the church is too afraid if it was public knowledge the members would hold leaders to its standards.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 09, 2019 02:49PM

If there were clear rules, there would be limits on the powers of the cult. Therefore there can be no rule but obedience.

A happy Mormon is one who learns to keep his head down, do exactly what is taught right now, and refrain from questioning the leaders and their changing demands.

As long as one does that, she he be fine.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 12:46AM

<If there be clear rules, there would be limits on the power of the cult. Therefore there can be no rule but obedience."

As the statement goes, "A truer statement was never made."

With the one word, obey, the cult elite will fill in the rest depending on.....let's see, what side of the bed they got up on, or if it is snowing, or if it happens to be 10 am on a Tuesday.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: January 11, 2019 10:10AM

That the question could even be asked says everything about Mormonism.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 11, 2019 01:51PM

Hint: Mormon males could always have beards.

It isn't like they have to ask permission to grow one.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 12, 2019 07:39AM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It isn't like they have to ask permission to grow one. >

It's (easier) better to ask for forgiveness than permission'... someone once coined/ said.

M@t

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 11, 2019 02:03PM

Yes. They are accommodating the snowflakes.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 11, 2019 05:01PM

Why doesn't that bother God?

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: January 12, 2019 03:39PM

Just the gay ones...

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 13, 2019 12:20AM

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: January 13, 2019 12:50AM

I was at Target tonight and see that they have Happy Easter display of Candy,plus Happy Valentine candy.. Not the subject of this post.

As I walked in I saw a Honda Odyssey, not too old but not the newest model. And it was Honda/Toyota/Nissan/Ford/Chevy/Chrysler dark gray metallic. I hate that color.

It had a license plate frame on the rear plate that said "Graduate...BYU Law School". I thought to myself "typical car for a mormon family etc"

When I was on the way out, I saw the Honda pulling out, and the passenger was a youngish guy with a beard, very nicely trimmed.

The driver was I'd say his wife, nice looking youngish woman, No beard. And she could be the BYU graduate of law school. I read that there are more women graduating from there.

Also no kids in the van, so I'm guessing it was Date Night for mormon mommy and daddy. So I guess lots of youngish mormon men have beards. Whether they were married or they were brother and sister etc, who knows

Posted by: odd thinker ( )
Date: January 13, 2019 01:36PM

if it keeps tithing flowing and butts in the pews then yes

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.