Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: January 08, 2019 08:56PM

Two nice young men rang my doorbell a day or so ago.

As I am a female living alone, they are not allowed to enter my house. So, I went out on my porch (and sat in my rocking chair there, with one other chair available--which they declined to use).

I did request that they put my Christmas decoration away for me in a shed against the side of my garage, and they were more than happy to do this. Also, I had them pick all the oranges they wanted (and gave them a plastic bag to put them in--yes, 'plastic'--I guess I sinned in providing this for them).

Anyway--I don't know why--they made an appointment to come and visit with me again. I guess it is just because they have nothing else to do, and I answered when they rang my doorbell.

(And no, they didn't ask me to introduce them to my neighbors, although the man next door walked up his driveway when they were still present and glanced our way--as how often does he see two young men in suits at my door?)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 08, 2019 10:17PM

They came by my residence on Monday. They knocked on the door in a manner that clearly identifies them. My neighbors knock in a quieter, more dignified manner. Nobody opened the door.

Posted by: Swiss Miss ( )
Date: January 08, 2019 10:24PM

It must be hell being a missionary today. I don't know how they do it.

Although my mission was 90% tracting, My comp and I could make a plan each day and feel like we were actually spending our time doing something. We'd tract for a few hours, often in a high-rise apartment building that would kill an hour or two; spend time traveling between tracting destinations or appointments, and hopefully teach investigators. It was awful but we were on the move, going from one door to another till the blissful hour of 9 PM when we could go home.

I can't imagine what the missionaries do with themselves today; how they plan their day. Since they no longer tract, do they just go through a list of inactive people, show up unannounced on their doorstep and ask if there's any yard work to be done? Any weeds to be pulled? Do they roam the streets looking for people to talk to? Do they do that every day their entire mission? It must be hell and feel like such a waste of their time. I don't know how they do it.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: January 09, 2019 10:23AM

I live in the south end of Salt Lake County. I used to see the missionaries riding their bikes all the time around the area. I never saw them talking to anyone or going up to any doors. Now, they are walking. I guess they were busted down to walking from bikes for some reason. It looks like such a huge waste of time for them. Oh, well, at least they are getting some exercise.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: January 09, 2019 12:15PM

I was told that mostly the missionaries have cars and drive to an area, then walk around just in that area, then drive to another area.

I live in a very nice neighborhood and have never seen a missionary or had one knock on my door.

Posted by: PollyDee ( )
Date: January 09, 2019 05:15PM

pollythinks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Two nice young men rang my doorbell a day or so
> ago.
>
> As I am a female living alone, they are not
> allowed to enter my house. So, I went out on my
> porch (and sat in my rocking chair there, with one
> other chair available--which they declined to
> use).

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago - my DH wasn't home, though they still came in and sat on the couch long enough for me to tell them their church doctrine is immoral.

After about a 1/2 hour they announced that they had to leave because I am an incredibly beautiful, alluring siren out to seduce their physical and moral innocence!

I told them that this policy was not only misogynistic it was also an insult to them as adult men being treated as if they are naïve children.

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 10:08PM

But it's true, I recall young missionaries flirting and having a cute time with woman in their 40s (who were still looking hot). It really is an issue. Young men like older women.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 09, 2019 06:02PM

No one was interested in Mormonism on my mission either, but we still had an agenda. We hadn't thrown in the towel. I get the feeling that there is a spiritual malaise set in with the missionaries now. Busy work. Pointless, "what's the use?" busy work.

There is nothing worse than having nothing to do, having no purpose. I wish some of them would just go to the library and read great novels or enlightening biographies or books on birds or space or Nepalese culture. Anything but wandering around hoping to mow someone's lawn or paint their house just to stave off the boredom and actually feel useful for a moment.

Posted by: Occasional Lurker ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 01:59PM

I almost feel a little bad for the missionaries in my area. I can't imagine how they deal with the boredom.

I live in a small college town where the population actually fluctuates by by 20%-30% as school goes in and out of session (unofficially, as students aren't generally counted in official population measures) A huge chunk of the fixated, non-student population are still affiliated with the University as faculty or staff so generally if they aren't already Mormon, they're not gonna be converted. Their best bet is to target the constantly changing student population when school is in session.

I live in a neighborhood of mostly apartment complexes and for-rent townhouses (so mostly students who aren't currently in town) The missionaries have been aimlessly wandering my neighborhood for the past two weeks, not even bothering to knock on doors. Just walking around and loosely trying to pretend they are busy or have somewhere to be.

I (almost literally) ran into them when I was walking home from work one day. They didn't even stop walking or turn around to hear a response as they passed me by while half-assedly asking if I was "interested in learning about Jesus and stuff?" (yes, that is an exact quote)

I actually laughed out loud while I told them "no, thanks" because it was so funny to see how pathetically hopeless and bored they have become.

It's causing some concern too though since the sun goes down early this time of year. Two strange men wearing dark clothing and backpacks wandering aimlessly around the neighborhood in the dark has alarmed some of the residents.

For what it's worth though, during the day I think they usually get to work at the local food pantry and soup kitchen actually doing something productive and meaningful.

I've finally hit the point where I've stopped being annoyed by them to honestly feeling bad for them because I think most missionaries these days are just endlessly bored and trying to have something to do, especially since they dropped a bunch of money to do something so numbing and pointless. Mormonism isn't exactly a hot sales item like it use to be (if it ever really was).

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 09:28PM

I like to invite them in, and help them kill time. I don't discuss religion unless they ask, and then I hold back. Just seeing an inactive that seems happy must make them wonder.

As they are, I once was.
As I am, they may become.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.