Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: January 09, 2019 12:44AM

Yes, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints was founded by a known con man who was also a pediphile and an adulterer, and sure, he was followed by a racist tyrant, and yeah, the church has throughout its history used all available resources to hide embarrassing doctrine and history and punish those who tell the truth, and it’s true that women, blacks and homosexuals have been treated as (at best) second class citizens, and I suppose it’s true that obedience is valued over honesty, integrity, and love, but...

The endowment ceremony is slightly less sexist now, so we’re cool, right?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 09, 2019 02:01AM

Yes, and we can drink caffeinated soda now too.

This is the sort of stuff you get when you have a living prophet, praise the Lord!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2019 02:01AM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 09, 2019 02:23AM

In 2025 not coffee, depending upon how you "heat," making it a "heated beverage."

You might be interested in this quote from Mary Baker Eddy's Christian Science textbook, "Science & Health With Key to the Scriptures:"

("Morbid cravings of the body") "The depraved appetite for alcoholic drinks, tobacco, tea, coffee, opium, is destroyed only by Mind's mastery. This normal control is gained through divine strength and understanding" (1906, p. 422).

Back in the 1950s and 60s, my parents avoided coffee, but did drink tea and Coke. Plus (yuch!) Postum. I wonder if many still avoid coffee? I'm having lunch next week with a Christian Science Practitioner. I shall *return and report.*

(Edit: to correct quote)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2019 02:25AM by caffiend.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: January 09, 2019 02:36AM

Right. The Mormons threw me few crumbs, and I should be grateful.

--a Mormon divorced single working mother.

Date: January 09, 2019 02:39AM

That is a very, very tough row to hoe.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: January 09, 2019 02:40AM

Edit! Edit! EX-MORMON divorced single working mother.

I'm still never going back--even if they "allow" women to wear pants, even if they allow double-piercings!

Date: January 09, 2019 02:41AM

That is an (only slightly less) very tough row to hoe.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 09, 2019 09:36AM

I used to be cool.

Date: January 10, 2019 02:48PM

Nice try, Dave.

;-)

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: January 09, 2019 10:31AM

At least I stopped being a Mormon before the 'prophet' said to stop being Mormon. Isn't that cool?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 09, 2019 10:38AM

My cousin, who is 4 years younger and was always a little bitch even as a child, married a very nice man and I mean very nice. What the hell was he thinking?

So he is now going to be a mission president. I got her late Christmas card yesterday bragging about all her kids and grandkids and how successful they all are (I'm sure there are plenty of lies in there). It is her mother who sent all my mother's family, children and grandchildren, a book of mormon with a note just for them. I just showed my "ex" and my son their notes last night and they were furious. She feels my mother wants her to save her posterity. Well . . . or in other words, hey, mom, you failed, so your sister wants to fix it all. She's 80. They've always been so disgustingly mormon.

Anyway, I got to read that bragging from my cousin last night. Then I sat down and thought, "What did I do wrong? Where did my life go off the rails?" (P.S. They have a gay brother/son who isn't allowed to be gay. His second straight marriage just failed. They have a brother/son who is no longer mormon who they don't have a lot to do with per his mother.

Some days. HELL! Since she and her husband will be out of country for the next 3 years, she sent an e-mail we can ask her to receive her future Christmas cards from. My ex told me to tell her THANK GOD you'll be out of the country so I don't have to receive your cards.

NOW THAT'S COOL!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2019 10:40AM by cl2.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: January 09, 2019 02:29PM

CrispingPin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> history and punish those who tell the truth, and
> it’s true that women, blacks and homosexuals
> have been treated as (at best) second class
> citizens,

I know that it is not nearly as fashionable and trendy to note, however LD$ Inc has managed to heap a lot of abuse on straight white males.

Date: January 09, 2019 02:41PM

Yes.

Both directly and through the discrimination against others. Mistreat women, and you hurt them but also the men around them. Mistreat men, and the same thing.

All the formal rules an roles and expectations are highly destructive, and men are singled out for a distinct and intense set of such pressures.

No one wins.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: January 09, 2019 02:58PM

No amount of reorganizing/rebranding/remodeling/rewriting/revising, etc., will make LDS Inc cool.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 12:50PM

^^^^ So agree....march ahead revising all you want because the end result is cracks appearing in testimonies and the remodeling that occurs is in your membership MormonCult.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 10:35AM

It makes it somewhat better for the ones who are stuck in it or want to be in it because it works for them. So there's that.

If I were still in one of those categories, I'd be bummed about all the changes that have been made since I was a kid that aren't so grand (correlation, curtailment of a lot of fun things for the youth, men having all the say over Relief Society, etc.). But I know I would certainly have welcomed and would continue to welcome every little thing that makes it less embarrassing and easier to be mormon, especially the bazillion changes in the temple (no naked touching, pantomiming your own demise, listening to the devil and his follower drone on and on, lecture at the veil, all the things that demean women, etc.) Not to mention, changes from the horrible one-piece garmies with almost a full half sleeve to the almost sleeveless two-piecers now. The move from twice daily Sunday attendance to the 3-hr. block to the 2-hr. block would be most welcome.

So it's not so much that "we're cool" NOW, but that "we're cool" that things are constantly changing and will continue to change as their lame mainstreaming attempt marches on.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 02:30PM

"We don't have empty churches or parking lots. We have many, many members reverently studying the gospel within the sanctity of their homes."

Elder Bozo replied when asked why church buildings always look empty.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: January 25, 2019 11:36PM

pretending to have come into existence as a result of divine revelation given to a divinely anointed prophet of god, demanding conformity, sacrifice and obedience to rituals, ordinances and commandments claimed to have come directly from god through revelation to his prophet, it's no small thing to start deleting and disregarding things that were once "revealed" as being essential.

In trying to become more user friendly by deleting and disregarding things that supposedly came into existence ONLY BECAUSE THEY CAME DIRECTLY FROM GOD AS HIS DIVINE COMMANDS AND INSTRUCTIONS, the fake religion that is pretending to be god's one and only true church is logically giving support to an inference that: (1) it's just a social club not based on divine revelation; and (2) things that the organization at one time expressly claims as being "revealed truths" may in the long run be repudiated, proving that such things were neither "revealed" or "true" and it was a lie in the first place to ever have claimed that they were revealed truths.

That's a long way of saying that it's great that they are trying to make the ridiculous and unpleasant temple experience into something slightly less ridiculous and unpleasant, but in the process they are essentially admitting that they are a fake religion and that the entirety of the temple rituals and ordinances may also be fake. (If they can keep deleting stuff from it decade after decade, that seems to be the obvious conclusion.)

It's a no-win situation...the type of situation that you would expect a fraudulent organization to find itself in eventually. I guess they're hoping that the members will not think about it enough to see the logical ramifications of the changes. But then the leaders of the church have always banked on the members not thinking much about anything.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.