Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: severedpuppetstrings ( )
Date: January 09, 2019 12:04PM

It's new to me - maybe it's nothing new for some here. There is a group on Facebook that I belong to where people can post their items for sale.
In my feed this morning, I see a post which looked very similar to those information cards we would see at the meetinghouse, or with the missionaries.
So I look and that's exactly what it is. It's a solicitation to give out the Bible rather than the Book of Mormon.
From the look of the poster's photo, I knew that it was a missionary or a return missionary.
I just didn't expect for them to start posting on a Facebook page where furniture is mostly sold.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=393902838086786&set=gm.2342831632667517&type=3&theater

[Edited by mod to take out swear word in the title.]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2019 12:39AM by Tevai.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dinosaurprincess ( )
Date: January 09, 2019 01:00PM

I got personally messaged by a missionary on Facebook once who was asking about the area. I asked how he found me and he said he was part of a local Facebook group for citizens of my city. I was fairly freaked out but it looks like they've taken tracting online?

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: January 09, 2019 01:31PM

When I was an active Mormon, I knew a lot of older couples in our ward who were on a "seniors computer mission." They use Facebook, and also the same programs that the CIA uses to track down criminals. The Mormons have been doing this for over 12 years, that I know of.

One of these senior missionaries stalked inactives on Facebook, and, through a photo that a Mormon friend of his posted of a group of them wake boarding, tracked down his personal information, from the friend. It wasn't long before my son and his family were visited at his new home, by the missionaries, the lady missionaries, and the bishopric. He told them that he is Lutheran.

This is a new tactic, to have younger missionaries do this, as part of their "regular" mission.

Instead of using Facebook to hunt down inactive Mormons, they're using it to troll for new potential members.

The Bible as bait? That's a new idea!

No more Book of Mormon? Wow, maybe the Mormons are serious about moving away from "Mormon" junk. It's too late. LDS, Inc. has been identified as a business, and will always be a business.

Posted by: Anon for this ( )
Date: January 09, 2019 04:54PM

There is a stake in Las Vegas that has paid to promote polished LDS propaganda videos about how the Church will improve your life and make everything in this confusing world OK.

I know from a webpage I run Facebook charges about $30 to promote the video to several thousand recipients. Why thy chose me I don't know, I am the member of several Ex-mo groups that have probably been infiltrated to get the member lists.

Posted by: pettigrew ( )
Date: January 09, 2019 06:10PM

Once again the Church has missed the curve. People now are very wary of social media, and perceive the evils of it. Even the Church President is telling people to stay off it, yet now the Church decides to try and utilise the medium.

Always a day late and a dollar short.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 08:34AM

Actually, an offer for a free KJV bible on Facebook is a good solicitation by TSCC. It's a HOOK to lure people in who would otherwise not be interested.

Most folks aren't going to bite for a BoM. But a free bible opens the door a crack, to let the missionary in.

Good ploy if it weren't so deceptive.

It's bait and switch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2019 08:35AM by Amyjo.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.