Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 01:21AM

How do you babtise a dead person?

Why is it necessary to use the word "even" in a Mormon prayer?

Why, Mom, must I call my friend's Mom Sister Jones? I like her name Lucy better.

There exists a long list of words and groups of words that Mormons use and are even expected to use that often do not make any sense at all to the outsider or to a young person in the cult.

As a sometime member going mainly to the Mormon church here and there, I found myself sometimes mystified and even laughing at what was being said. Examples. When I first heard about babtisms for the dead I laughed to myself thinking how in the hell is this a possibility? Dig them up?

I didn't like the idea of having to call a teacher in MIA, who wasn't my sister and wasn't that much older than me, Sister Lingwall. Yuck.

And, more recently there was a surge of "tender mercies" that missionaries had daily and weekly. Seriously? All were tender mercies???

How about the Three Nephites roaming our world. When I first heard about this I was a teenager and I replied that it sounded like a Halloween story got ripped off.

Any that you care to share?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 01:50AM

Cops, military, sailors, economists, JWs, advertising honchos, techies (especially) etc. develop a vocabulary that helps them economize communication, which don't always make sense, but serve a purpose. This annoys you because you have an antithetical relationship with Mormonism. There are some subcultures I don't like, but I have to put up with their in-speak.

I find the use of the word "even" especially quaint. I'm a never-Mo, but I gather it's restricted to prayer language? Look at the brighter side, Presley(truly)rocks: Do Mormons use the phrase, "And behold,..." "And it came to pass..." or "yea..."

But you're still stuck with "every fiber of my being," "grateful for the moisture," and "nourish our bodies!"

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 01:52AM

Unfortunately, these speech patterns have become ingrained in the MoCulture to the point where they're not even noticed.

'Temple Work'? important award for paying your dues.

'Temple Recommend'? A Membership Card.

'Brother & Sister'? MoVersions of 'Comrade'

North Korea: A model of Loyalty, education!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2019 01:52AM by GNPE.

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 10:39AM

Something I posted recently that fits right in with your comments:

I hate to hear Christian oriented "tender talk". You know what I mean. Makes me want to puke rose petals.

Just read a Facebook exchange between two TBMs relative to the change from home teaching to ministering:

One: "I've just been assigned my Ministering Brother."

Other: "I don't know who my ministering brother is yet."

As tender as a finger down the throat.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 03:16PM

"There exists a long list of words and groups of words that Mormons use and are even expected to use that often do not make any sense at all to the outsider or to a young person in the cult."

Ward
Stake
Temple (not what most people think)
Polygamy (not what most people think, wink, wink, nudge, nudge)
Hot drinks
Vote (of thanks, sustaining)
President
Bishop
Relief Society
Calling
Missionary (not what most people think)
Wedding (sealing)
Work for the dead
Temple work
Endowment
Apostles (not what most people think)
Elder (not what most people think)
Prophet (not what most people think)
Quorum
Garment
Volunteering (for a church)
The church (not what most people think)
And now apparently "Mormon" means something different

Posted by: cftexan ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 08:19PM

People always bring up the word remiss. Funny thing is I never heard a mormon say it, but after people pointed it out here, I'm constantly hearing the word by celebs and in movies...

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: January 11, 2019 12:03AM

I never really understood going to the temple to "take out" your endowments. Take them out where?
Although on trash pick up day I do "take out" the garbage.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: January 11, 2019 01:28AM

Like most everything in the temple circus, I wondered what was going to happen when I was supposed to "take out" my endowments. The only info I had been given related to this strange statement is that it would be oh, so marvelous, sacred, and life changing.

Yeah, it changed my life alright.

(Hmmm, wonder if this wording is straight out of Masonry? At any rate it is weird).

I did later put those words to good use - at least sort of the same words as I "took out" my leave of the cult, and oh, it was so marvelous, sacred, and especially wonderously life changing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.