Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 09:35AM

The topic of how many people are active often comes up, and we know it is about 1/3 of the number claimed as Mormon, by the Mormon church.

But the bigger question in my mind is how many actual adults could be considered the active, true believing, and Kool-Aid drinking Mormons.

Assuming 5,000,000 regular attendees, there are a lot of children within that number, there are a lot of people who just don't believe but attend for social reasons, or for family/spousal reasons, etc.

My first guess at the number of real TBM adults was going to be about 500,000, based upon the old rule that 90% of the work is done by 10% of the people. I was discussing my theory with a Mormon friend and he told me the actual number the church considers to reflect the number of hardcore Adult Mormons that really believe.

His number came from Boyd K. Packer

He has a SP friend who was discussing this very topic with Boyd in approximately 2014. Boyd told the SP that when the church reviews tithing records, TR holders, callings, etc, and then removes children, cafeteria and social Mormons the number of TBM adults is 250,000.

Yes, that's it - 250,000 adult Mormons that meet the church's criteria to be considered real TBM. I can't say for sure exactly what the criteria they use of course.

I also don't know if that number also includes the 65,000 currently serving missionaries, as they are over 18, and fully active, but not paying tithing of course. So some questions are unanswered about how the church comes to this number of course, but the general number is accurate.

I don't have a documentable source to verify this number, but I trust my friend, he has zero reason to lie and has always been a very honest.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 09:56AM

No one can ever know. We all know that there are many closeted non-believers or semi-believing social mormons, most of us used to be one. True believers sit by people like that every Sunday in church and have no clue--thinking those people are full-fledged believers.

People who claim to be true believers, but who have been coming to this board on a constant basis for years, for whatever reason, obviously are wannabe exmos who are jealous of those of us who were able to make the break. They have to keep pretending and their masochistic tendencies and jealousy have made them fixated on what we say here. They are really good at convincing TBMs (or others also trying to look TBM) and mostly convincing themselves that they are so much better because they can play the game.

I know there are a number of people who truly believe, mostly because they want to so badly. And if it works for them and makes them happy, those people SHOULDN'T look into the facts and true history. I don't encourage people who really feel happy with their lives to purposely go down the rabbit hole and it still makes me sad for people who do, when staying in their ignorant state would have bliss.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 09:57AM

Darren Steers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't have a documentable source to verify this
> number, but I trust my friend, he has zero reason
> to lie and has always been a very honest.

The thing that comes into play for playing the low number side of things is that for people who believe it makes them feel more elite, since fewer people were (supposedly) able to hack the routine of being a real MORmON.

For those who see the reality that MORmONISM is really just idiocy, that will not work so well.

while the numbers you provided closes in on reality, there is probably also a certain degree of MORmON style "pulled it out of their ass" for a fact / revelation technique going on by the LDS GA.

Date: January 10, 2019 10:10AM

smirkorama Wrote:
> while the numbers you provided closes in on
> reality, there is probably also a certain degree
> of MORmON style "pulled it out of their ass" for a
> fact / revelation technique going on by the LDS
> GA.

Yes, of course. I wasn't there for the conversation and can't confirm how it transpired, or the context.

Even if it was pulled from Boyd's inspired arse, and was not based upon church analysis of data, it is still a damning number to come from a high ranking church leader who actually has this kind of information which realistically would form part of the discussions at the top table as they plan their next strategic move to take over the world for and on behalf of Elohim.

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 10:04AM

there were 30,500 congregations in 2017. that would make for 8.19 TBMs per congregation. i think that is fairly low.

Date: January 10, 2019 10:14AM

gettinreal Wrote:
> there were 30,500 congregations in 2017. that
> would make for 8.19 TBMs per congregation. i
> think that is fairly low.

A fair chunk of the congregations outside the US are struggling branches. Attendances of 30-50 people.

And in the Wards I know outside the US, even a larger ward with close to 100 attendees, I'd say if we had 8-9 true believers, we'd be doing well. We had a lot of social Mormons, and a lot of people who were along the spectrum between. These probably don't meet the strict requirements of being called TBM when you are doing an analysis in a database.

Posted by: Snickers ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 10:38AM

Let's add some more numbers to these figures.

The average family income in 2018 is $60,000. Now, take 10% of that, you get of course $6,000 paid per year. Take that number times 250,000 and you get $1,500,000,000 or 1.5 billion dollars from the TBM's. The actual tithing figures would be higher because we are only looking at TBMs here.

If they would evenly distribute that to the 30,500 congregations, each congregation would get near $50,000 per year... but, they still have to maintain those expensive temples, train missionaries, and more.

Do you see why the church is making cutbacks? New curriculum? Money. Missionary changes? Money. Shortened hours? Money. Church cleaning schedule? Money.

Posted by: Mikeryan ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 11:52AM

One who will admit that exmos are sinning lazy or stupid...to your face. If not...just a social Mormon.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.