Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: catholicrebel ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 01:54PM

I resigned about a year in to being a member of the church. I was about to receive my endowment but never did. However, I have seen the videos by newnamenoah that shed some light on things I didn’t experience in the Temple since I left before I could. I had a limited use recommend. I know when you get sealed you have to be in the Apron and “baker’s hat”. All the videos on the internet of these LDS couples getting sealed show the bride in her “wedding dress” of course. So, I hear you can wear your wedding dress to get sealed as long as it meets certain requirements or just get sealed in your “Temple dress”. So, is that a lie or is it true? Do they just put the apron and everything over their wedding dress and then just take it off after getting sealed or do you basically have to completely change and then put your wedding dress back on to come out which seems like a lot. I’ve always been curious if basically your wedding dress ended up being basically only for show outside the Temple and the reception. All my LDS friends who were sealed had short sleeve wedding dresses that covered their shoulders but I hear you even have to put inserts in your sleeves then since long sleeves are required.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2019 01:55PM by catholicrebel.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 02:16PM

My wife had a very modest dress and it didn't pass the temple dress test. She still had to wear one of their potato bags.

All the rave about custom temple dresses is what happens OUTSIDE of the temple.

I sure wish that the internet would have been around before experiencing the most boring and blandest non-personal ritual ever devised. It would have been so much better to have a wedding open to everyone and then (perhaps) go for the sealing.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 02:42PM

That is true. If the wedding dress meets the requirements, you can wear it when you sealed.

If it's just shy of requirements, and it can have a quick fix (ie dickie to make it to the neck) then that too can be done, etc

Most women, when I was LDS, made sure that their wedding dresses did meet, or come close to so to use the quick fix, so they could wear it during the sealing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2019 02:43PM by angela.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 03:33PM

I had a short sleeve wedding dress that I wore in the temple to get married. The temple workers gave me loaner sleeves that I wore with the dress, as well as something they called a "dickie" that was an insert for the v-neck of the dress, even though my dress completely covered my garments. All the temple clothing (robe, apron, etc.) was worn over my dress.

I just remember being really, really hot. I was married at a time when Cinderella style dresses were popular. My dress was poofy and had an underskirt. I felt like I could barely move with all the inserts and temple clothing added to the dress.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 04:17PM

Messygoop is right! "The most boring and blandest non-peronal ritual ever devised." My daughter ended up in tears, saying, "This was NOT how I imagined my wedding to be." All of her bridesmaids and friends, all of her siblings and the goom's siblings, and her father and uncles were not allowed into the temple to see her married. The heavy sack-cloth veil had made a hopeless mess of her hair, well, you get the idea.

My daughter chose a long-sleeved high neck wedding dress and it was acceptable for the temple. She bought it at one of those Mormon wedding dress stores in West Valley. After the ceremony, it was a wrinkled mess.

My niece's dress, however, did not meet the temple standards, so she had to wear a dickie, with a high collar, and long sleeves, which were put over her dress. These were made of that same "sack-cloth", that is thick, and not at all sheer or attractive. My niece is very petite, and the sleeves were made for a gorilla, and hung over 4 inches below her hands. The dicky was also way too big. Over this conglomeration, was the bulky pleated robe and sash. I overheard my niece and her groom, giggling in the hallway, going into the sealing room. They were making a vow to each other that they would not make eye contact with each other, because they knew they would burst out laughing, if they did. They did look funny! The comedian has a hilarious, expressive face

The "ceremony" is mostly listening to the officiator give a sacrament meeting talk, mostly about the church, and the couple's vows to the church, and their responsibilities to the church, and to have the church at the center of their marriage, and that their home should be dedicated to the church, and they should multiply to grow the church, bla-bla.

Everything was going well, until the bride and groom were directed to kneel at the altar. The bride knelt down on her veil, which pulled it and the head apparatus over her face, the chin-bow got caught, so everything was hanging around her neck. She tried to pull it back up, but there was 4 inches of fabric covering her hands, so she had to pull back the sleeves to uncover her fingers, to finally grasp the veil hat, and pull it back over her face, and back on top of her head. Unfortunately, she accidentally pulled the dicky up, along with the veil and hat, so the dickey was covering her face. In the process, the sleeves had dropped over both hands, again, so she had to get her fingers clear, again. She was all alone, kneeling, and out of access for anyone to help her. The groom was on the other side of the large altar, turning bright red with suppressed laughter, and his eyes were tearing up. When my niece had the dicky over her face, you could hear her suppressing her giggles. I know--you had to be there--but it was such a solemn and ridiculous ritual, and the guests were so serious, wearing bedroom slippers, and sitting stiffly in the lined-up white satin chairs, reflected for eternity in the mirrored walls. Again, you had to be there!! I sat in reverent silence, biting my tongue, and keeping my face frozen, but my diaphragm and breathing was going into spasms, and I kept thinking, "Don't laugh. Oh, please, don't let me laugh!" Finally, the officiator was beginning, and I could wipe the tears from my face, like I was being "emotional."

It wasn't until the couple were asked to hold hands across the altar in the "patriarchal grip" secret handshake, and the groom couldn't find her hand, under the huge sleeve, and immediately afterward the officiator told them to look each other in the eye--that they finally lost it, and started to laugh uncontrollably. I felt sorry for them, they were so embarrassed! I was smothering myself with my handkerchief, and embarrassed that I was the only other person laughing.

The actual ceremony doesn't mention Love or Cherish or anything like that. It focuses on the "covenants" made between the couple and the cult. The couple are sealed "under the New and Everlasting Covenant," which is flat-out polygamy! Look it up!

Most brides, like my daughter and niece, just peel off the temple garb, and walk out in their crumples wedding dress, and messed-up hair, to have their photos taken.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 04:22PM

If you wear your wedding dress for your wedding, then yes, you have to put all that ugly stuff on over it and the women have to wear their polygamy-looking veil.

It seems to me that most girls nowday know about the ugly clothes and don't want to uglify their wedding dresses, so they just wear a temple dress and get married in the same garb everyone else in the room is wearing.

I think it's more common for them not to wear their wedding dress to get married in, but just for the reception. In fact, when most mormon girls talk about their weddings anymore they're actually referring to the reception. The only thing about the temple is it's the place where you say "I do." Oops, where you say "yes." None of that "I do" stuff. The real celebration starts after you walk out of the Holy House of Handshakes.

Posted by: catholicrebel ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 05:17PM

I saw a leaked sealing on youtube. Not anything like a Catholic wedding that is for sure. The faces were blurred out so I didn’t see any facial expressions. When I first joined I had stars in my eyes that one day I would be sealed in the Temple and have beautiful pictures and a video with music of me standing outside the SLC Temple in a gorgeous but modest dress. You know the types of videos I’m talking about, they’re all over YouTube. Let’s all laugh together.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 06:33PM

catholicrebel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I saw a leaked sealing on youtube. Not anything
> like a Catholic wedding that is for sure. The
> faces were blurred out so I didn’t see any
> facial expressions. When I first joined I had
> stars in my eyes that one day I would be sealed in
> the Temple and have beautiful pictures and a video
> with music of me standing outside the SLC Temple
> in a gorgeous but modest dress. You know the types
> of videos I’m talking about, they’re all over
> YouTube. Let’s all laugh together.

No, like you saw, a Mormon wedding/sealing is rather bland. Nothing like a Catholic or other type of traditional wedding.

Not.even.close

Posted by: siobhan ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 07:01PM

Catholic weddings start with 9 a.m. bloody marys at home before you get dressed to attend the wedding.

Keeps you from drinking too much at the reception.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: January 12, 2019 01:11PM

My little DIL worked like heck to save for a wedding dress. spent a lot. had a bolero made to make sure it was kosher. Gets to the temple. matron told her it has too many beads (iow: too gorgeous!). "May offend the spirit."

As messygoop called it, "potato bag" for her!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.