Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: blueskyutah2 ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 02:48PM

My child's mother was completely disappointed that she (my child) chose not to attend first Sunday of 2019. I realize that it changed to 2 hours but were there any other changes? I like to keep up and wonder why the mother was so insistent that my daughter be there.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: January 11, 2019 05:48AM

I think the biggest change is that Mormons now have been ordered to start having church meetings in their houses. In other words, your home is now an ecclesiastical unit. It is no longer your home. You do not won it, The church does. And you are not in charge of your family. The church is now officially in charge of your family.

That is how bad it has become.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 11, 2019 11:33AM

When do I get my tax exemptions ?

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 11, 2019 05:22PM

Your daughter has a choice? When I was a kid, it was mandatory we went to church. The only way I could get out of going was if I had a tummy ache or worse. Believe me, there were some times I came up with a stomach ache to stay home so I could watch Walt Disney instead of going to Sacrament meeting in the afternoon or evening.

Otherwise mom dragged us off to church whether we wanted to go or not. May she R.I.P.

Posted by: blueskyutah2 ( )
Date: January 11, 2019 06:02PM

Should I force her to not go? I think that would back-fire. I plan stuff to do and we do it if she chooses not to go. She has sometimes chosen to go and sometimes changed her mind back and forth. She is learning how to make a choice and be confident that those around who love her will support her. I like that.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 11, 2019 06:19PM

I think it's better that she gets to choose. That's great.

With my own children it was non-negotiable when they were growing up unless they/we were under the weather. That's because it's the way I was raised. Was it the best way? I'm sure I resented it as a kid, and my children did too, to some degree.

It was important to me to try and instill the same/similar values I was raised with.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 11, 2019 07:30PM

I think it depends on your daughter's age and maturity level. If she's roughly 12 or below, I would make the decision for her that she's not going. If she's a teen, I would let her attend, but I would also share with her the church's history of miserable treatment of women, the falsity of the truth claims of the church, etc. I would not hold anything back. Counter what she learns in YW with the facts.

Give her your own life advice. My parents constantly told me when I was growing up that they expected me to graduate from college, and to gain the credentials to support myself if I needed to. My friends in college were all given the same message, and we all graduated and have (or have had) careers that pay well.

I read feminist literature when I was in high school, and it made a huge impact on me. I pulled it off the bookshelf at home. Stack your bookshelves with books that will open the world to your daughter and improve her mind and her outlook on the world. Have books available to her on science, history, philosophy, world religions, etc. If you can't afford to buy books, borrow them from the library and leave them out -- books like Carl Sagan's "Cosmos" or Joseph Campbell's "The Power of Myth."

If she's interested, consider advocating for her to join a Girl Scout troop, or a similar organization. With the kinds of powerful, empowering activities GS and similar organizations offer, YW would seem a whole lot less attractive. When I worked at a Girl Scout camp, I used to see young teenagers skippering 40 foot sailboats. Nothing like barking out orders to your crew to improve a girl's confidence!

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 11, 2019 08:15PM

blueskyutah2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My child's mother was completely disappointed that
> she (my child) chose not to attend first Sunday of
> 2019. I realize that it changed to 2 hours but
> were there any other changes? I like to keep up
> and wonder why the mother was so insistent that my
> daughter be there.

Because someone is LDS

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.