Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 03:32PM

This is going to happen.

https://ldsmag.com/elder-and-sister-renlund-to-speak-on-overcoming-doubt-with-faith/

And it just confirms that their shelving is failing them and they are trying to turn people's shelving into insulation. Use all those doubts to keep your testimony warm and alive. Use all that tithing to stave off starvation.

Will work for a burning bosom. No alcohol needed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 03:34PM

No, it's about self deception.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 11, 2019 12:17PM

dogblogger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No, it's about self deception.

I doubt that it is that simple.

I also doubt that the Mormon apostle and his wife will advise anything like the following...

"Inquisitiveness and questioning are inevitable parts of the life of faith. Where there is certainty there is no room for faith. I encourage people not to doubt alone, rather to find some people who are safe “doubt companions,” and also to doubt their doubts as much as their faith. But it doesn’t help simply to deny doubts or to feel guilty about them. Many people, after all, have been down that path before and have emerged with a strong faith."
https://philipyancey.com/q-and-a-topics/faith-and-doubt

And my question was mostly tongue in cheek. Why? Because I suspect the Mormon apostle and wife will apply simple formulaic Mormonism to the question of doubts of their faithful. Like paying money to fix being impoverished (much like giving your last dollars to some get rich quick scam) I doubt the Mormon apostle and wife will address the root of the question of doubts in faith.

Because "it doesn’t help simply to deny doubts or to feel guilty about them" which merely applying "faith" to them is what Mormons do. They apply their poor people's tithing to their poor people's problem of poverty and require that they work for whatever charity they get. Along similar lines they apply their doubter's faith to their doubter's problem of suspicions and require that they read, pray, and do callings for whatever lack of faith they have.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 03:42PM

WOW !!! good one. really REALLY good one!

.....when LD$ Inc business shill Larry Very Dead Miller said that he had been blessed by the payment of tithing, he was not kidding.

funny thing, MORmON Jesus loved Larry enough to bless Brother Larry with tons of money, but as Larry got sick MORmON Jesus just let Larry die like some regular person POS.

Lower head Lord MORmON Jesus is an @$$ hole.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 03:46PM

It's like protecting yourself from harm by closing your eyes. If someone is shooting bullets at me I'd rather stay in reality by keeping my eyes open, ducking, and running for cover than standing with my eyes closed and praying for divine protection.

If I've got doubts I reference educated, experienced, academic sources for instruction rather than talking to the grocery clerk who was installed last week as the new bishop.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 04:02PM

Paying tithing will never lift you from poverty. It is a physical thing. Handing over money for goods. Providing medicine and housing for family. Paying off debt. Etc.

Faith is immaterial. Believing that it was common to marry at 15. Believing that bishops never molest kids. Believing that we "just haven't found it yet" when lacking DNA or had evidence of mormon historical claims

Believing that the Abraham scroll is only a piece of what Joseph had and he translated a missing scroll.

Believing that history has been altered in a conspiracy to discredit mormon teaching.

Believing that financial gain is because of tithing and not budgeting, investing and job progression for good work ethics.

Totally different things.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 05:01PM

Not going to the doctor staves off illness so it makes sense to me.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 05:48PM

I am speechless at the desperation of the speech the Redlunds are going to give. The need for the speech speaks volumes.

Doubt facts? Doubt your doubts?

Fact not only smashes scissors, cuts paper, and covers rock, it also blows faith to smithereens. There is no contest.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 05:56PM

You don’t overcome doubt with faith, you overcome doubt with facts.

The problem for the church FKA Mormon, the facts aren’t on their side.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 06:15PM

Next week Elder Redlund will speak on overcoming fears that despite overwhelming evidence against it--the world is flat and rides on the back of a giant Curelom.

You just need faith!

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 06:48PM

Overcome doubt by ignoring facts!

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 09:01PM

see, when a member loses their job they pay their tithing first, just as they were told by LD$ Inc, then they lose their home so that they are homeless.

LD$ Inc uses the money that they got from the MORmON member to build a luxury condo tower, that has YET to have a legit owner tenant in it because it is so grossly over priced. Just as well, there aint a chance in Hell that the homeless tithe payer is going to get a condo unit at CCC even though they helped to pay for the CCC condo tower, and LD$ inc is doing everything they can to scoot the ugly homeless people away from their grossly over priced luxury condo tower that has yet to have a legit tenant.

That BS is MORmON Jesus inc in action.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: January 11, 2019 03:05AM

Are most of those new condos vacant in City Creek?

I know, personally, of four expensive condos that belong to 4 wealthy California Mormon families, that want a condo by the SLC temple to use to go to the temple, shop at the fancy stores, visit Mormon relatives, and maybe for skiing. (They don't like San Francisco anymore, or the Oakland temple, or skiing at the crowded Nevada resorts, that have gambling and drinking.)

Maybe those are the only 4 condos that sold. These families also have places in Park City, and ranches in Montana--all of them. I guess owning a City Creek condo is a symbol that you have arrived. As far as I know, they seldom use these, and I wonder if they just bought them as a (bad) investment, and maybe got a special discount on them, to get the ball rolling. "Look who bought a City Creek condo, folks! If these savvy successful businessmen invested here, so should you! (Suckers!)

These same wealthy Mormon families contributed thousands ($25,000.to Proposition 8, and donated an amount ($10,000) in each of their children's names, too. They were on the list. They should be so proud--what a lesson to teach your children!

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: January 11, 2019 09:43AM

Leah Remini Scientology episode that I watched last night.

Posted by: Justin ( )
Date: January 11, 2019 03:54PM

Of course it is not enough to just have faith in Jesus Christ. The Church that claims to be the Church of Jesus Christ (Mormon) says you must also have faith in the demands of its leaders by praying, paying and obeying. Christ can't simply save those poor dead people without you paying the 10% necessary to enter the temple and obeying the demands to clean your local chapel for free. You can't serve Christ without serving the Prophet. It is the definition of a scam.

Posted by: OneWayJay ( )
Date: January 12, 2019 01:53AM

Remember the Prime Directive of L-d$,inc"

When you have Faith, Facts don't matter.

Posted by: relievedtolearn ( )
Date: January 12, 2019 12:02PM

Faith? Last I heard "faith" in mormonism is just another word for blind ignorance. Don't ask questions. Definitely don't seek answers to your questions. As a matter of fact, treat questions as if they were an enemy.

Well duh. If your religion is fraud, then questioning it sure enough would be an enemy.

So be real, be human; use your brain, think, ask questions, test ideas and faith claims using logic, historical evidence, etc.

And remember that if something is partly not true, but some of it might be true, you can separate the strands, take what appareantly is true and let the rest go----in other words, you don't need to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Mormonism has some very strong postives that are worthwhile in any community---and not exclusive to mormonism. Sorting is hard work, but it's worth it. Being alive is hard work sometimes.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.