Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Snickers ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 04:23PM

I don't think it will ever go away entirely, but I do see the church falling to the point where they resemble the JW or Scientology to where it's just a fraction of what it used to be with a few remnant churches here and there scattered across each state, each with about 30-50 members attending (branch size).

I do expect to see the majority of the temples closing and further deep cuts to just about everything across the board.

Here's the question... if you were in charge of the church, and you had a mission to save it... what would you do?

This is what I would do over 10 years or so:

1) Call a second prophet and twelve apostles.

2) Use Revelation as a source and state the second prophet is laying the groundwork for the 2nd witness.

3) Start giving the 2nd anointing to the most devout members and place them under the leadership of the 2nd prophet. Under this prophet, you follow strictly the NT and base your gospel on faith only, just like it teaches. Instruct your members that the BoM, D&C, and PoGP is no longer needed (because you are super saved, guaranteed salvation [just like the NT conveniently teaches]), nor are the temples needed. Drop works (tithing, etc) as a requirement of salvation.

4) Move over most of the rest of the members from the old LDS church to the new, under new leadership and a prophet.

5) Administratively change the official title from "prophet and apostles" to pastors and form a leadership committee.

BAM! Now you have a regular Christian church that's based on love instead of obedience.

Of course, that's not what I would really do... what I would really do is hold a church-wide conference, state that this is all a scam, it always was. I tell everyone to follow their conscience and disband the church.

However, neither scenario is going to happen. The church will shrivel all the way down to a burnt out husk, and only the most devout zealots will remain active.

I do expect to see some final Hail Mary attempts by the church to bolster its membership... maybe we will see an ad during the Superbowl. That should be entertaining to watch their last-ditch efforts to save it all.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: January 10, 2019 06:49PM

Hopefully when it falls, it won’t crack, but break. It’ll be like Humpty Dumpty, can’t put the pieces back together again.

Posted by: Mormon Nomore ( )
Date: January 25, 2019 09:43PM

One way the church can pay its final light bill is to auction off all the Paul H. Dunn books that are so plentiful in D I and in
Deseret Book leased storage units.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-46975430

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: January 26, 2019 12:03AM

It's just a large organization that dupes people into giving money to the leaders so that the leaders can play around with the money and use it to manipulate people's perceptions and behavior.

That's the core.

As for everything else, the current version of its belief system would almost be unrecognizable to the people who supposedly belonged to the same organization 100 years ago.

A person who was a temple-worthy Mormon 120 years ago would feel like they had mistakenly walked into a temple run by apostates if they went through the modern version.

"What?? Where's the oath of vengeance? Where's the five points of fellowship? Where are the sacred penalties? Why is that woman not pledging to submit to her husband? Wait a minute...this is some apostate group's temple, right? I've been tricked into participating in an apostate ritual. This is of the devil!"

100 years from now if there's an organization that claims to be the same organization, I'm quite sure that it's practices and teachings would be unrecognizable to current members.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 26, 2019 01:04AM

Too many big tithe payers have been shooed away. They aren’t coming back. But anyway, what I would do:

1. Scour the stakes for charismatic good looking guys in their 50s or so and bypass seniority rules to install them in the first presidency. Use them as front men to announce progressive changes.

2. Let the wards control their budgets so they can have real activities.

3. Eliminate Correlation and give wards wide latitude on what they can discuss in meetings.

4. Become much more inclusive. Do the research so you can ditch the homophobia. Re-frame the BoM as a fictional yet inspired document that was more important to the early church than it is now. Moving into a gentler time, such drastic measures aren’t needed to promote faith. The Bible is just fine.

5. Stop being culty, judgmental pricks. Preach unconditional love, the kind God has for all of creation.

6. Implement professional standards for lay clergy. Hire psychologists to set up the training program and management system.

7. Come clean about church history, apologize for past mistakes, repent in sack cloth and ashes, and treat people like responsible adults who can drink the beverage of their choice and make their own “moral” decisions.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: January 26, 2019 01:38AM

Disbanding the church would leave the problem of what to do with all the assets ie. real estate, buildings, farms, cattle, etc. I suggest they turn it into a non-profit service organization that pays members to perform humanitarian services world wide with absolutely no religious affiliations. Or they could divide assets up among already existing non-profits. They could keep their tax free status and use the "for profit" businesses to fund the service work. Finding a use for temples might be a problem. Since tscc has so many ranch style hunting/fishing retreats for the V.I.P's, they could possibly turn the retreats and temples into some type of educational endeavor like conservation centers, ag research/training, environmental education, etc. Temples could become physical fitness retreats/training with climbing walls, weight rooms, steam/sauna rooms, exercise pool in the baptismal rooms, and massage in the celestial room.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.