Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 13, 2019 01:10PM

It all began when Bernice Sandler was shut out of a full time teaching position at the University of Maryland. She researched federal discrimination laws, and found a small footnote in a report that cracked the door open. She took her query to the Department of Labor, where an official was waiting for her, or someone like her.

"Since it was signed by President Nixon, the law known as Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 has charted the evolution of sex equality in America. Initially intended to shatter gender quotas for hiring and admissions, it became a vital weapon against limits on opportunities for women and girls.

'That's the power of Title IX,' Sandler told NPR's Tovia Smith in 2014. 'It's a hammer that's there, and schools know this and are busy scrambling to change their policies, and that makes me smile.'

Title IX has often been associated with college sports, but the statute has a much broader scope. As the Department of Education states, Title IX 'applies to 16,500 local school districts, 7,000 postsecondary institutions, as well as charter schools, for-profit schools, libraries, and museums.' Under the law, schools and other organizations are barred from discriminating in a wide range of areas, from recruiting and admissions to financial aid and employment. The legislation covers sexual harassment on campus, how pregnant students or those with children are treated, and even bars potential employers from asking about a job applicant's marital status."

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/10/683571958/how-bernice-sandler-godmother-of-title-ix-achieved-landmark-discrimination-ban

--------------------------------------------------------------

I personally benefited from Title IX as a high school athlete. My friends and I demanded and got a track & field team. We took the county championship for all three years that I was on the team. We regularly sent girls to the state championship.

As we all know, BYU in the past has run afoul of Title IX in its treatment of female rape victims.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: January 13, 2019 02:01PM

Her achievements fundamentally changed the United States in significantly positive ways which will endure.

I, personally, am very grateful for what she did for our country, and for all Americans.

(Beginning most blatantly in my mid-adolescence, and for a long time into my adulthood, I had to deal with different kinds of pervasive, spoken out loud, institutional discrimination against females, such as: [direct quote] "There will NEVER be a [female] technician at Litton Industries!" Though not directly applicable in my case, Title IX was seminal, and had an enormous effect on changing our overall, entire, American culture for the massively much better.)

Thank you for this, summer.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: January 13, 2019 04:37PM

I can't tell you how many times people in church classes condemned Title IX. For many Mormons, it is a clear sign of the overreach of the Federal Government in their attempts to establish the New World Order preparatory to all-out war with God's Army.

I kid you not.

Posted by: AJM ( )
Date: January 14, 2019 09:58AM

For a second I thought Bernie Sanders had a sex change.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.