Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: C2NR ( )
Date: January 14, 2019 12:01PM

wife's new name but not the other way around?

The reason behind the practice was quite a mind game and manipulation. The man was to call the woman forth from the grave by her new name, and if she wasn't a good wife he might choose to not call her forth. You don't hear much about that anymore

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 14, 2019 12:47PM

I think it's a generational thing. The generations before were more chauvinist and I know several TBM couples the wife works and she makes more than the husband does. It's no longer baby I'm home where's my dinner? Even in the church.

You have to realize the Endowment was put together by some extremely chauvinistic men a long time ago and they have had to slowly change things in it. So the church is always going to change things.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 14, 2019 12:52PM

Ironically it's often the man who wants to leave the church first. This was our case. I was ready to be out of it and my wife still wasn't to that point. You would think it would be the women who would say "I'm out of here!" first because the church has always viewed women as second class citizens. It's a man's world in the church.

With a bunch of old, outdated men running the thing the church is going to be slow to change. Maybe too slow. It does look like the younger generation has had enough and don't care what grandpa Nelson has to say. Haha!

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 16, 2019 10:21AM

It was years after I was divorced before my ex-hubby ever told me his temple name. And that was only because I made fun of him for not telling me, claiming that he really still believed all that shit. He's still a member but inactive. He relented and said, "It's Nephi." I laughed my ass off and then he said he was sorry he told me. So from then on I could tell the kids to go ask Nephi if they needed something.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 16, 2019 03:04PM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 16, 2019 03:47PM

My ex's is Abinidi. I had a difficult time getting him to tell me his name, too, BUT then mine is Lucy and that is much more laughable I think than Nephi. I mean don't people think, "How can God's name for me be Nephi?"

I wish I had thought to have my kids call my ex Abinidi! We had a joke that Sean Connery was their real dad. They came up with it. Not me. My ex even knew it and he'd say, "Oh, your real dad is in that movie."

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: January 17, 2019 04:05AM

I think they aren't names, they are passwords to enter the Mormon Masonic Temple Lodge.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 17, 2019 04:18AM

In the old days everyone had the same name. One for mdn. Another for women.

At some point the church decided to issue names that changed every day.

With hundreds of names over the years it no longer is a password.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.