Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 11:21AM

Here's another thing on my list of to do that won't get done: see Carol Channing on Broadway.

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2019/jan/15/carol-channing-star-of-hello-dolly-on-broadway-dies-aged-97?fbclid=IwAR1qbh9La-mo1HvNFMp2xLZrX4wyM4rku2762-mCdA-sCJYuYHw4IVvOL9o

In addition to her Broadway work, she was nominated for an Oscar for "Thoroughly Modern Millie". And I have a personal tale there.

My mother was a seamstress and she worked several years in a men's clothing store in Sugarhouse, before it became the hip and happening part of SLC.

TMM was released in 1967, I don't remember the details but the guy who owned the clothing store was a biggie in Sugarhouse retailers. There was some kind of open house and he invited my mom and dad to come to a reception for the costumer designer, Jean Louis. She couldn't figure out why they got an invitation. My dad said he wasn't going, didn't like musicals etc, so guess who my mom invited. THat's right.

I got to wear my new Mormon Sunday suit to a reception at the Villa Theater on Highland drive. My mom had her hair "did" and she and I went to the dinner, and met in a receiving line Carol Channing, John Gavin, Ross Hunter, but not Julie Andrews or Mary Tyler Moore. And a fun night was had by all, especially me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 11:31AM

Wow, what a night that must've been to be able to have gone to that with your mom and meet CC et al at the theater.

I saw her in the movie production, but not on Broadway either.

She was one of the last of the Golden Hollywood elite.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 05:02PM

Fun story! Carol Channing lived a good, long life. I'm sure that my mom must have seen her on Broadway. My mom and her friends used to go to a Broadway musical every year.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 05:24PM

One lady I would've loved to have seen on Broadway was Anne Bancroft. Oh, she was a class act. So was Carol Channing. But I really identified with Anne for some reason.

It was love at first sight for Mel Brooks when he watched her singing onstage in NYC, early 60's. Their romance was only just beginning.

Carol Channing is also remembered besides her great sense of comedic timing, was her fabulous legs!

:)

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 05:36PM

Have a nice rest Dolly.

Posted by: cftexan ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 06:03PM

Wow, what a cool experience!

Carol was such a legend. I first saw her I think on Sesame Street(that should probably tell my age. Lol) But loved her Broadway musicals and movies. She was definitely one of a kind!

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 09:11PM

I loved her “ Throughly modern Millie” Her character was great and wacky! https://youtu.be/5byy_7uBvLQ

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.