Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anonyXmo ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 04:54PM

There seems to be some confusion about the new program judging by articles such as this one!

Whoever thought the replacement of the HT/VT program with the "ministering" program would mean more flexibility, etc. was wrong ... don't dare relax because there's a wrong way to do everything and the church will show you why you're wrong and why every generality must be filled with very specific instructions, lol

----------

Where Did My Home and Visiting Teachers Go?

By Jean B. Bingham
Relief Society General President

The flexibility of ministering should encourage us to show greater caring, not lead us to relax.

One of my friends recently asked me in bewilderment, “Where did my visiting teachers go?” From the time her husband passed away, they had been so caring and attentive, but since the announcement of the new ministering program at general conference in April 2018, she hasn’t seen hide nor hair of them.

We are all adjusting to a new way of doing things, and some ministering brothers and sisters may not have understood that although a home visit isn’t the only way to minister, it is certainly a wonderful way to show love and genuine interest — and many members still need it.

For some, the problem may be misunderstanding the purpose of the change. The purpose behind replacing home and visiting teaching with ministering wasn’t simply to change how we take care of each other but to help us be more guided by why.

The ultimate goal of our ministering is to help others become more deeply converted to the Savior Jesus Christ and grow toward their divine potential. The program’s added flexibility isn’t meant to encourage relaxing our efforts; it’s meant to provide greater opportunity for the Spirit to guide our efforts.

Whether you are still uncertain about the purposes of ministering and how it works or you think you have it down, I invite you to watch and read the resources at ministering.lds.org and study the Ministering Principles articles published each month in the Liahona (see page 6 in this issue). These materials will help align your ministering efforts with the Savior’s work.

https://www.lds.org/study/liahona/2018/12/where-did-my-home-and-visiting-teachers-go?lang=eng

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 04:59PM

>>One of my friends recently asked me in bewilderment, “Where did my visiting teachers go?” From the time her husband passed away, they had been so caring and attentive, but since the announcement of the new ministering program at general conference in April 2018, she hasn’t seen hide nor hair of them.

Because they aren't her friends? But just visited her as an assignment?

Posted by: kilgravmaga ( )
Date: January 20, 2019 06:31AM

I always hated this.

I hated that people would come over to my house and look uncomfortable and then be in a rush to leave.

I hated that when I did start to jive with them, my stupid brain would mistake it for some kind of friendship and I'd always be hurt when they would be reassigned and I wouldn't see them again.

I didn't ask them to come in the first place. I could've been just fine with out them sticking their noses in and confusing my poor dumb introvert brain.

Posted by: Anon3 ( )
Date: January 22, 2019 05:40PM

< tears> Her husband died and they were so attentive and caring. It used to be that people gave you a year to mourn. Now its down to 3 days, if you are given any time off at all. After the funeral they say well thats over.

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 05:03PM

oil and water. Not even consecrated oil will mix with human water.

The Brethren suffer from perpetual magical thinking that what they say from the pulpit is important and that listeners will follow their instructions. LOL!

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 16, 2019 01:04AM

They didn’t know that the old HT/VT was a sham. Blindsided again. Maybe they’re surrounded by people who won’t tell them how things actually are. They live in a world of sycophants and brown nosers. They’re probably completely baffled as to why tithing is down.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 05:17PM

>> The flexibility of ministering should encourage us to show greater caring, not lead us to relax.

Mormons don't understand flexibility, they understand obedience. They can't even agree about flexibility and caffeine vs. hot drinks/ coffee.....jeez!

>> .....although a home visit isn’t the only way to minister, it is certainly a wonderful way to show love and genuine interest....

Being assigned to visit someone doesn't exactly convey love and genuine interest. Why do so many mormons feel they "still" need this?

>> The purpose behind replacing home and visiting teaching with ministering wasn’t simply to change how we take care of each other but to help us be more guided by why.

mormons don't understand "why"....they want to be told "what" to do so they don't have to worry about "why".

>> The program’s added flexibility isn’t meant to encourage relaxing our efforts; it’s meant to provide greater opportunity for the Spirit to guide our efforts.

And since there is no real "spirit" to guide their efforts, this program will fail like the rest. Leaving it to magic won't produce results as intended.

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 05:19PM

That magic doesn't work whatever it's called is the best point. It didn't work as visiting/home teaching; the same thing's not going to work as ministering.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 05:48PM

Yep. Church leadership will sit around waiting for the inspired magic to work and then berate the members when it doesn't, and the members will be just as confused and obedient as ever.

That's mormonism in a nut shell.

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen 2.0 ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 07:20PM

...they went to the Shady Rest Facility for the Infirmed.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 06:28PM

My Mom has merited two visits since the change and that was after she hunted him down. She has no idea which sister is assigned to her even though she is active in RS.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 07:44PM

"The ultimate goal of our ministering is to help others become more deeply converted to the Savior Jesus Christ and grow toward their divine potential."

(...in my Seth Meyers SNL Weekend Update voice...)
Oh REALLY????
So ..AFTER:
As a child, primary church lessons.
Sunday School...WEEKLY
Church services...WEEKLY
Seminary
Mission served
Married in the Temple
Callings...
You STILL need your members "more deeply converted to the Savior Jesus Christ and grow toward their divine potential"??????

If they don't know the "Gospel" after all that...they never will.

This just shows that mormonism is a MLM, where only the church LEADERS get to go to the highest heaven level (..."this one goes to 11..")

once again...Hamster meet Wheel....

Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 09:03PM

I must have BO or need a change of under wear. I keep hearing we are to have a Priesthhod evaluation every 3 or 4 months about our ministering. No one has contacted me. I was told my ministering brother is a guy in Bishopric. Hell, I can't get any of the Bishopric to say hi to me as they walk by me. What kind of ministering will I get? I have noticed it the same with everyone and the Bishopric. If the are a model of monistering principles I see why the program is doomed in our ward.

As for families to minister to, I asked and was told to go some Church account and I would find the families plus my brotherly companion. Hell, I do not know where the church account is, how to log on ,etc. They asked in Elder's one day if everyone knew how to log in. I was about to put my hand up but no one else did. After class I talked to one of the leaders and he was going to show me the following week. Never has. And you know what, I suck at ministering and I am okay with it.

Posted by: Curelom Joe ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 08:32PM

Our old home teacher/first counselor in the bishopric just quit TSCC along with his wife:that's where HE went.

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 09:08PM

"says no one." to where did my home teachers go?

Relaxing is against our religion.

Be sure to find out what the person can do for us!

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 16, 2019 12:54AM

What’s love got to do with it? Obedience is the first law of heaven.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: January 16, 2019 01:32AM

Love has nothing to do with it.

"The ultimate goal of our ministering is to help others become more deeply converted to the Savior Jesus Christ and grow toward their divine potential."

I am quoting just this one sentence, to illustrate how I read Mormon articles:

--Sister Bingham is going to tell us what the ultimate goal of Ministering is! Finally!

--"It is to help others..." No it is not to help others. Read on. The sentence is not yet completed....

--"IT IS TO HELP OTHERS BECOME MORE DEEPLY CONVERTED!" Yes, there it is, imbedded in a bunch meaningless words. "Converted" means paying tithing! Keeping others "converted" means keeping them trapped in the cult, for life, and to raise their children to be obedient tithe payers for life, too. Notice, Bingham doesn't say to covert others, but to "HELP others become more deeply converted." The lie is that they are already converted, just not "more deeply" converted. Another lie is that they WANT HELP in becoming more deeply converted. No, people want answers, and the truth. I suspect a lot of them want their tithing money back.

--"converted to the Savior Jesus Christ" No, Mormonism is not the same thing as "The Savior Jesus Christ". Far from it. By that, Bingham means "converted to the Mormon church" or whatever LDS, Inc, calls itself now.

--"and grow towards their divine potential." This can have two meanings, in Mormon doublespeak. First of all, it means to grow into perfect OBEDIENCE, make more money, and work harder for LDS, Inc. Is it just me, or does "divine potential" imply that Mormon minions cam become as Gods?

BTW, I have been mentioning the Ensign to people, and now is it called "The Liahona?" I told the story of my brother receiving a "liahona" for a Christmas gift, and what I was referring to was a big round weird-looking paper weight. I suppose everyone thought I was talking about the magazine.... I'm just not abreast of all the changes.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: January 16, 2019 02:24AM

I know of a lot of older people who have stopped going to church because of this. These are some old neighbors of mine, relatives, parents of my friends. Up until now, they have been paying tithing on their Social Security (which is from earnings that their husbands had already paid tithing on).

These old people live in different wards than their children and grandchildren, so they can't go to church together, unless the old folks can tolerate sitting in yet another sacrament meeting.

Some old couples have been on more than one senior missions, but now the cult has no use for them, except to clean the building and (used to be) VT and HT. Many have been approached by representatives of BYU and LDS, Inc., to coerce them into leaving money to the cult in their Wills. It's a hard sell! They debated with my father, when he was dying of cancer, and wouldn't leave our house, for hours, until late at night, when I finally went into the room and invited them to leave. My poor Dad had already written BYU a huge check, before I rescued him, but my Dad and brother, together, stopped payment the next morning.

I don't think the Mormon cult cares about old people. They aren't going to bring in new members, and a lot of them simply can't afford tithing anymore. They often need PHYSICAL CARE. VT's and HT's were the only real contact they ever had with their church, because the parents were always too busy with the kids, and everyone was too busy with callings and climbing up the latter-day ladder.

It's very sad to hear their stories, and find out, after all these years, that they were just an assignment, as Summer says.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: January 16, 2019 08:20AM

"It's very sad to hear their stories, and find out, after all these years, that they were just an assignment, as Summer says"

I've made references to the hamster/wheel thing, but that comment is rough.

Imagine trying to be your best mormon self to get closer to their (TSCC) savior Jesus Christ only to realize late in life that you were an assignment.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: January 16, 2019 12:13PM

Let's face it, no one really wanted to do home teaching/visiting teaching.
It was a colossal waste of time for everyone.

And now that the rules are relaxed it will never get done.
Surely Nelson knew that, he probably hated it as much as anyone.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: January 17, 2019 03:54AM

My mother once had home teachers (elderly couple) come to offer her the sacrament in her nursing home. They said they would come regularly to do this but she hasn't seen them again at all. I think they are only about a year or two away from joining her in the nursing home or beating her to the grave. They are having trouble divesting themselves of all their "stuff" in their home. The wife came close to dying on their last senior mission due to a serious heart condition.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: January 17, 2019 06:32AM

the mainstream sects that the LSD Church was always trying to distinguish itself from. Ministering and witnessing are things that Mormons always made a point of coming up with alternatives for, such as missionary work and compassionate service, etc.

Now it looks like the Nelsonator really is trying to move the LSD Church in the direction of fitting in and blending in with the others. I guess that's okay, if that's how the phony prophet wants to play it. But that agenda will rapidly reach a point of diminishing returns and then negative results. Once the members realize that the idea is to blend with the sects formerly known to them as being part and parcel of the great falling away, there will be no reason for the Mormons to stick it out in their creepy temple cult. Why not just "minister" and "witness" in a much less demanding and much less embarrassing sect?

Posted by: Organized Chaos ( )
Date: January 20, 2019 07:58AM

You're right. Ministering is their idea of missionary work. Witnessing is testifying. But I think you're wrong about going you another religion.It's all they know.
I hated home teaching and saw it as a huge waste of time.And did it anyway...

Posted by: pettigrew ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 09:11AM

Changing the name of the Assigned Friends programme didn't lead to an immediate improvement? Well, I'm shocked.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.