Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Snickers ( )
Date: January 17, 2019 12:10PM

I have been watching and lurking the MormonHub (Now called the 3rd Hour) forums for years now.

They used to be very active with multiple daily posts, but they are just about dead now, with a scant post every other day or so.

I believe this is really telling about the impact of people leaving the church.

I am thinking this is far worse than we think, there are many that are going inactive, many that resign, but lots and lots more who are in the middle of their faith crisis and are still quietly attending.

We may very well be witnessing the full collapse of the LDS church in progress.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: matt ( )
Date: January 17, 2019 01:21PM

Or because TBMs are following their leader's edicts to avoid social media?

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: January 17, 2019 01:23PM

Third hour is operated by the more good foundation which is funded by the church. It's essentially a church site.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2019 01:25PM by dogblogger.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 17, 2019 01:41PM

Maybe the members are over here at RFM. We have better topics, transparency and more fun!

I am hoping that many members realize that you can live a good if not great life without the church.

Posted by: lachesis ( )
Date: January 17, 2019 06:19PM

They're more concerned about what we're saying here than the boring things the leaders are saying.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 17, 2019 03:42PM

Wagons are circling. Be sure to take your vitamins and get plenty of rest.

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: January 17, 2019 04:04PM

The "world" might be taking them down.

I live deep in Utah Co. I met a woman last week who simply no longer wants a man (her bishop) telling her how to live. She still goes to church, but she's quietly exiting.

Among a group of young women, they were talking about how their schedules forced them to miss young women's. One said how having to miss young women's made her sad; the other announced shamelessly, "I'm not a bit sad about it; I'm glad!" She didn't feel any need to keep that a secret or defer to the pious young woman. The pious one couldn't pull off superiority because the other young woman wasn't having it.

There are just so many reasons to leave, and not enough enforcement for staying. Not every family's willing to disown their kids or otherwise put the hammer down. Or like the older woman, no one's got leverage over her.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: January 17, 2019 06:26PM

MCR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The "world" might be taking them down.
>
> I live deep in Utah Co. I met a woman last week
> who simply no longer wants a man (her bishop)
> telling her how to live. She still goes to church,
> but she's quietly exiting.

so her husband and, in turn, she hit the jack pot in the local MORmON leadership derby ........ and she still does NOT feel completely fulfilled and validated ....hmmmmm that makes it sound like MORmONISM might not be all the wonderful stuff that it claims to be!!

Posted by: forgotmyname ( )
Date: January 17, 2019 04:13PM

Look around at the world, and you see one that's very different from the one Mormons would prefer. Women are demanding equal treatment; minorities are not willing to be marginalized; fewer people think being a member of the 1% is worth aspiring to; tolerance for the LGBTQ+ community is at an all-time high.

The world is changing, and those that refuse to change with it will inevitably be left behind.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 17, 2019 05:25PM

I have hope this reply is true. I hope the world is changing and making irrelevant the irreverent "revelators."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2019 05:25PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: January 17, 2019 04:26PM

Your good efforts and report here are like checking "vital signs" of the body of the LDS Church. That body is not healthy and may need life support soon. Or maybe hospice in 2020? LOL

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: January 17, 2019 05:18PM

How I wish this were true for my immediate and extended family. I only suspect one nephew of having any cracks in his belief. Everyone else (and I am talking close to 100 of them) seems to be digging in. And it really puzzles me.

Posted by: anonyXmo ( )
Date: January 17, 2019 06:01PM

There's a StayLDS forum too which is independent and more moderate iirc

Posted by: Guy3 ( )
Date: January 17, 2019 07:17PM

The church is too big to collapse. It is simply transitioning. Being more cost effective, careful with tithing. I suspect that in the next 20 years that they will encourage some type of online attendance for some of the more rural areas where church buildings aren't cost effective.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 17, 2019 07:19PM

How's LDS skinny-dippers (ldssdc) doing? I haven't gone online with them for a long time.

eta: they're up & running, looks like recent posts!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2019 07:39PM by GNPE.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: January 18, 2019 03:34PM

The Book of Mormon cannot be defended any longer. DNA has put the kibosh to the obvious fraud.

For Mormon leaders to demand obedience,time, work and money from members on the basis of the Book of Mormon being "true" is ludicrous.

Posted by: Honest TB[long] ( )
Date: January 18, 2019 03:55PM

Forgive me for always talking about how fast our testimonies are growing as the beloved Correlation program has reared me to always talk about testimony growth so I can't help but just talking about how its growing, growing, growing, growing, and growing. Whenever presented with ideas people tend to be somewhere between 0% and 100% convinced that its a true idea. So where am I on that 0% to 100% range and if its 100% then how can it keep growing if 100% is the limit? Ooops that's a "why" question and in the Church we don't ask "why" questions but focus on obedience so I'll stop myself on that thread of thinking.

So where was I at. Oh yeah "testimony strengtheners" and I think that as people read/ponder things about the Church on internet forums and come away thinking "gosh what a super honest/transparent Church" then they'll be more inclined to get themselves assimilated into it so they can be good sheep and groomed by the Correlation program to think the wondrous ways that we are taught to think, ummmm I mean obey.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.