Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 17, 2019 06:59PM

I've never had spooky Mormon hell dreams that I know of and this article doesn't describe what they entail.

"He says it’s OK to not be a “cool and collected” ex-Mormon who no longer feels pain from leaving the church. He sometimes has “spooky Mormon hell dreams,” he says, but, like many unorthodox Mormons, Ferguson takes comfort in maintaining the semiotics of Mormonism, the cultural practices and rituals that ease the pain of transitioning from one’s origin religion. "
https://www.cityweekly.net/utah/the-mormon-avengers/Content?oid=2552712

Anyone here have one?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: January 17, 2019 07:11PM

Most all my spooky dreams are from things that happened in the past. And people I knew in the past who are long dead in places gone with the wind.

But I have had that spooky dream of being called again and having to go on another door to door mission. And there I am back in Appalachia thinking, didn't I already do this for 2 years? And I can't knock on another door in another rainstorm. How do I get out of this hell?

Then I wake up. Yes spooky mormon dreams are unsettling to say the least!

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 17, 2019 08:55PM

I often had dreams my whole family trotted off to the celestial kingdom and left me behind.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: January 17, 2019 11:45PM

I once dreamed I was alone in the temple and it was like one of those mystery houses with doors leading nowhere and maze like corridors with no way out.

Probably was just symbolic of wanting to find my way out of the cult If that's the case, I finally found my way out.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 18, 2019 11:48AM

I've had recurring dreams like that only of ward houses where I'm in a maze that goes in circles that doesn't end. At times I may end up in the chapel where a sacrament meeting is ongoing or just ending (or beginning or middle.)

But always going back and forth. To the cultural hall. Across the stage. Up and down the hallways. Sometimes the bathrooms. Classrooms. Occasionally get outside of the building. Once i made it to the curb and almost the car, when something made me turn around and go back inside. Aaagh. The dream continued.

The food buffets however weren't half bad.

I haven't had one of those in a really long time. We're talking years. Though bringing it up, who knows I may have triggered something now from reading this bleeping thead.

Date: January 18, 2019 11:53AM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Though bringing it up, who
> knows I may have triggered something now from
> reading this bleeping thead.

Enjoy your sleeping buffets!

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: January 18, 2019 09:36AM

I had a dream that I was going on a mission again. This was years after resigning, so I start to think: "why am I doing this? I don't believe it?"

I don't remember too many of the details, but I do remember the feeling of nervousness that attended that dream. It just didn't feel right, but some things were just happening out of my control--rather like the real mission experience.

Otherwise, I have a lot of dreams that take me back to Utah, but Mormonism rarely figures in directly.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: January 22, 2019 12:28AM

Would wake up and be absolutely upset and then realize it was all just a bad dream.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 18, 2019 10:38AM

Yes. I've had the Spooky Mormon hell dreams. I had so many of the back on the mission dreams and they come with a high anxiety level. You don't know why you are there and doing another mission and you can't get out--like a Mormon rip tide.

Worse, we were taught emphatically in Priesthood meeting by the teacher who was studying to be an Institute teacher that the Adversary could attack you and if that happened you had to raise your arm to the square and command him to go away in the name of Jesus Christ. I started not turning the lights out and staring at the door until I went to sleep. That's is when the nightmares started. They were horrific because I could never get my arm up or my mouth to work and I would finally end up screaming the words in that garbled tongue. They are rare now for me after all these years but my partner is sick of them and starts hitting me when I am in one to get me awake.

As an aside-- the institute teacher was studying all this stuff that is now considered "Anti lies" and was telling it all to us. It inoculated me rather than put me off Mormonism. I knew most of the Mormon crazy from a young age but accepted it because it was presented as Mormons versus Satan.

Posted by: mom anon ( )
Date: January 18, 2019 09:26PM

D&D, it looks like you could have had sleep paralysis. I used to have that, and it accompanied real terror. I knew that I needed to wake up, but couldn't get up or even move my hands. Screams produced no sound. So, basically, I couldn't signal to my spouse that I was in distress.

One thing worked ! I started breathing as fast as I could--my breathing was the only thing that I could control. That woke my spouse who shook me awake.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 21, 2019 10:09AM

Thanks mom anon. I knew it was sleep paralysis but only found out what that was a couple of years ago. It mostly only happens with the devil dreams and I just can't get my arm to the square or my mouth to command. I've had a few others but those are the worst.

I will try the fast breathing if I can if one ever happens again. Thanks for the tip. I would really like to try laughing in his face though and see how that goes. :)

Posted by: montanadude ( )
Date: January 18, 2019 10:59AM

No spooky dreams for me, but I did have a flashback experience two years ago while attending a nephew's mission homecoming. I had not been in a chapel in over 10 years. As soon as I entered the building, that familiar "chapel stench" hit me like a brick. It took a couple of days for it to get out of my nose.

Date: January 18, 2019 11:16AM

Elder Berry Wrote:
> Anyone here have one?

Interesting dreams. Reading the ones about missions I remembered I've had plenty of those. The difference is mine were never spooky and hellish. They started when I was in my later 30s and went through the same time I was leaving Mormonism, Jesus, God, and religion. I haven't had one in years.

They were mostly me going back to my same mission as a middle aged person and doing things differently and with more maturity and hopefully wisdom.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 18, 2019 02:24PM

I think my #1 nightmare growing up was about falling (off a cliff, out of an airplane or tall building). I can't recall ever dreaming about anything church related.

So then after serving a mission, I seem to have a recurring missionary nightmare about once a month. Always with the same anxiety and uncertainty: What about my job, my family and who's going to pay for this? Doesn't the church know that I no longer believe?

I never have dreams about any other experiences in the church: temples, service projects, ph meetings, sm or ss. Not even scouting, but that darn mission president is always sitting behind the desk ready to send Elder Goop away for 2 years.

Date: January 18, 2019 03:17PM

messygoop Wrote:
> Not even scouting, but that
> darn mission president is always sitting behind
> the desk ready to send Elder Goop away for 2
> years.

Elder Goop, I can see why.

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1933309,1933662#msg-1933662

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 18, 2019 03:33PM

You're right, EB.

I can see why I have nightmares. His worthy interviews were legendary. He brought both elders and sisters to tears. He loved every minute of it.

My mission prez was one hell of a rattler. He easily climbed the ladder of Mormon success. He made it up to the 2nd Q of the 70. He must have bitten too many people because he earned the emeritus status after 5 years in the church bureaucracy.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: January 19, 2019 04:47AM

Those mission nightmares sound horrible! (So does a mission. I'm glad I didn't go.)

I dream that I'm back at BYU, only now, at my present age, and wearing whatever I'm wearing to sleep in. I always wear cute nightwear, because of dreams like this. I dream I'm at a wedding or party, or giving a presentation at work, unprepared, always in my jammies!

The recurring BYU dream was that I'm not prepared for a religion test, and it's an essay test, and I'm trying to squeak by, as I often did, by drawing on previous knowledge, or by using common sense--but religion was the subject that was un-relatable to any other knowledge, and did not make sense. I was failing, and the consequence of failing was having to take the class all over again. Yeah, it was the same "stuck" feeling, like in that never-ending circular maze.

My daughter had a recurring nightmare, when we were TBM, and several years after we left. The Mormon neighbors had all turned into zombies, and were chasing her down the street. She would run into our house, and lock the doors, but they were clawing at the windows, their faces mashed on the windowpanes. I'm sure she was traumatized by the Mormon threats taught in Primary, and the unexpected, door-banging, late-night visits from Mormon neighbors, harassing us, when we became inactive.

I have a PTSD dream, which is becoming less frequent. I dream that I have a vague, but scary nightmare. I wake up (in reality I'm still dreaming all of this). I'm very relieved that it's just a nightmare. Sometimes, I dream that I go downstairs to check on the children, and everything is OK, so I get back into bed, and close my eyes, but my Wife-beater ex-husband has been there waiting for me, and he is on top of me, strangling me, and I scream as loud as I can. The sound of my screaming wakes me up. Oh yeah, the screaming is REAL, and it used to freak out my children!

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: January 22, 2019 06:55PM

Being called to serve in the Mormon nursery on Sundays.

Date: January 23, 2019 12:08PM

It IS an hour less now!

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 12:23PM

Still babysitting hell. I would never do it.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 12:06PM

I can't exactly explain it, but it was a dream about explaining being ex-mormon to some family who I was going to be living with and they kicked me out because of my beliefs.

ODD! I kept thinking I had some strange dream last night and it is gradually coming back to me.

Being mormon was a spooky mormon hell dream for me.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.