Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 17, 2019 07:47PM

Remember, if a man didn't take his own white trousers, shirt, and tie to the temple, they made him wear a white jump suit with creases sewn into the legs. Classy. Many were cut too small for the size, and they bound you at the pass, sometimes emphasizing a guy's bulbous crotch region. Anyway, the question: Do they still issue those classy duds?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: January 17, 2019 08:38PM

They were discontinued a long time ago. Last I heard, some 25 years ago ish, if you still had one it was allowed but no new ones going forward.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: January 17, 2019 10:10PM

...which I guess is an indication of how long ago that was.

That's all I ever wore in the temple. I always rented each of the 6 times or so that I went through the temple. I firmly decided that I hated going to the temple before I ever got around to shelling out hard-earned money to buy a fancy temple suit.

It's kind of sad that they don't still use them. It gave the temple a kind of James Bond movie atmosphere...you know. Remember the classic James Bond movies, where the villain always has some big underground evil-doer facility somewhere and all the minions are running around in jumpsuits doing evil minion stuff? It kind of felt like that whenever I looked around and saw all these guys in matching white jumpsuits doing throat slitting gestures and stuff.

I halfway expected to go into the Celestial Room and find Spencer Kimball sitting there petting a fluffy cat on his lap, while surrounded by scantily clad women in temple-white bikinis. "Welcome, Mr. Prince. I've been expecting you. Things are not quite what you expected, I presume. Help yourself to anything at the bar. I believe we have some business to discuss."

I was disappointed when that didn't happen.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 20, 2019 04:28AM

I was a day hire for Van Halen in 1984. I helped set up, worked the barricade during the show and tore things down, It was a long day. Some of the crew had these cool looking black coveralls with the tour logo silkscreened on the back and the VH logo on the front pocket. Probably the coolest jumpsuits I have ever seen.

I remember the polyester white jumpsuits. They were rentals in some of the temples and we also used them for baptismal clothes on my mission. I felt like Frosty the Snowman wearing them.

Really felt like a dork putting a toga and a green apron on over it.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: January 18, 2019 05:24AM

Wally Prince, you nailed it! (again)

Exactly like the "big underground evil-doer facility" minions! This visual, I hope, might cure my white jumpsuit-triggered PTSD flashbacks!

My wife-beater ex-husband worked two hours a day as a janitor at BYU, his last year at BYU. I had my own business, and was putting him through school. He had to wear an "evil-doer" type jumpsuit. And then he wore a white jumpsuit in the temple, and he would force me to go there with him, all the time. He had gained weight, so the suits were tight and the legs were too short. Many of my PTSD nightmares have been of him beating me, while wearing a jumpsuit.

I went to a baptism, a couple of years ago, and the men doing the baptizing wore those same white jumpsuits--so they are still around!

There were three fathers, and all were baptizing their little girls. The little girls were all blonde, and they had their hair braided in a single braid, all dressed in white, and reminded me of little polygamist wives. Well, they would be, in the Mormon polygamous heaven. No one spoke. No one smiled. The sight of my cold, controlling male relative in a white jumpsuit was the worst, and all this etriggered a strong PTSD flashback! I quickly looked away. It was difficult to hide my anxiety, shakiness, and nausea. Someone put a camera in my hand, and told me to take pictures of the group, so I had to look at them. I kept saying in my mind, "Just breathe...in...and...out." I was so physically ill, that I couldn't eat for three days, and I had to miss a day of work. I will not be going to any more baptisms or events involving men in jumpsuits.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.