Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: January 18, 2019 01:02AM

https://churchofjesuschristtemples.org/memphis-tennessee-temple/

It will be a private affair, not broadcast to local meetinghouses, there will be no cultural celebration/youth whatever. There will be no public tours either.

When has this happened lately?

Very strange.

eta: they are doing the same thing with Oklahoma City

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2019 01:03AM by Levi.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: January 18, 2019 01:58AM

He seems to be doubling, tripling and quadrupling down on the "pay, pray and obey" formula and doesn't want to spend any money on anything that even vaguely could be seen as resembling superfluous "parties" and "social events."

In line with Nelson's new direction for the Church of Jesus, I have drafted a message to the Church for him to use. It may be a little bit too frank and honest about his true feelings, so he can tone it down a bit if he wants to be a bit more diplomatic. But I believe it expresses very well the direction he wants to lead.

Draft Message from Nelson to the Church:

Brothers and sisters, some of you have questioned the wisdom in my decision to dispense with costly, time-wasting temple open houses. Well, open house, schmopen house! Who needs such things?!?! The Lord has impressed upon me to get each temple re-opened ASAP to process tithe-paying temple-recommend holders. Nothing is to be gained by letting dirty, unworthy people stink up the place in some silly, frilly open house extravaganza. If you do not like this new Christ-centered approach to doing things, repent or go to outer darkness!

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus and duty, duty, duty!!! Any disciple of Jesus who isn't focused on these things 24 hours a day is a backsliding loser. Any losers who want an open house can do it on their own time and their own dime, somewhere else. The temples do not exist for your amusement. They are there to reward tithe-paying members with the opportunity to feel like they're moving ahead of everyone else in the race to highest circle of heaven.

The members need to stop consuming and need to contribute more. Sacrament bread pieces need to be smaller and the sacrament cups should reused--and with less water being poured into them. A couple of drops will do. Better yet, the members should bring their own reusable cups. Any member who doesn't bring their own cup is not worthy to partake of the sacrament.

Too much money is being squandered on heating and air-conditioning. People who spend too much time thinking about physical comfort are not focused on Jesus. 10 minutes of heating or cooling (depending on the season) just prior to the start of the meeting should be sufficient. Bishops are instructed to be certain that heating and A/C equipment is not turned on for any longer than this.

The Church of Jesus is wasting too much money on printing out lesson manuals. Members henceforth are expected to download and print out the lesson manuals at their own expense. Lesson manuals will be made available in .pdf format on the official Church of Jesus website.

No more will portable microphones be used in F&T meetings. Members are encouraged to speak loudly when bearing their testimonies. This will save on electricity expenses and future replacement costs for currently owned microphone equipment.

Members are encouraged to hang two portraits in their home, one being a portrait of Jesus and one being a portrait of the First Presidency. To ensure the appropriateness of the images, the Church is making approved portraits (each 16" x 20") size for a reasonable price of only $275 per portrait.

This is enough for this week. Next I, your prophet and all-around genius leader guy, will inform you of additional new measures that will help you focus more on Jesus and your core duties as a disciple.

--END MESSAGE--

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: January 18, 2019 02:21PM

"Members are encouraged to hang two portraits in their home, one being a portrait of Jesus and one being a portrait of the First Presidency."

I think that's already the case. On Nelson's 2018 Pay Your Tithing Africa tour, he gave a photograph of HIMSELF (in the FP) to one of the African members. No pride there, nosirree!

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900016023/dowry-is-not-the-lords-way-in-kenya-lds-president-nelson-says-tithing-breaks-poverty-cycle.html

"President Russell M. Nelson of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints presents a portrait of the First Presidency to Mercy Makau at the home of Makau's aunt in Nairobi, Kenya, on Monday, April 16, 2018. Sister Wendy Watson Nelson is at left. Sister Patricia Holland and Elder Jeffrey R. Holland are at center. Behind Makau are her daughter Gloria Nashipai and son William Mbogo."

(caption to photo, appears to be appx 13th in the series)

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: January 18, 2019 02:25AM

LOL. Spot-on!

You forgot the addendum of the "Christus" statue, which is a requirement for the most faithful Church of Jesus FKA Mormon home. The bigger the statue, the bigger the faith. Members who have a special built-in alcove for their Christus, will be in special favor with The Lord.

($100 off of Joseph and Hyrum bookends, with every purchase of the Christus statue over 15 inches, now at Deseret Book.)

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 18, 2019 09:58AM

Well Damn! I was asked to facilitate an adult religious education group at my UU church on Mormonism. I told them that I'd rather schedule it for the Spring when we could go out to the temple open house so they could understand the difference between that and the church building (they sit on the same piece of property).

The last time I did a class, about 5 years ago, it really blew people away that they didn't know anything about why the temples are the money machine and what it is about them that keeps people tied to the cult.

Oh well. I'll do the same thing and explain it and encourage people to drive by it so they know what I'm talking about.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 18, 2019 10:46AM

It is apparent that Nelson is not afraid to put his own stamp on things. I wonder if the lack of an open house and celebration are cost-saving measures.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 18, 2019 11:10AM

Did you take your vitamins? Get enough rest?

Posted by: annon1 ( )
Date: January 18, 2019 02:49PM

And those invited to attend the dedication will be Stake Presidencies, their wives and a few other dignitaries from Salt Lake City. The church is becoming very elitist and I don't see that changing in the near future. They aren't even cancelling church in those areas so those with recommends can attend the dedication via broadcast at their stake centers, like they did in Utah, Arizona and Idaho. If you're not in an upper management position you aren't invited..period!! But please, continue to pay your tithing so that you'll be blessed and we can continue to build temples to our most high God.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: January 18, 2019 03:22PM

Embarrassing to LDS, Inc that their McTemples are lasting 15-18 years nowadays. Actual McDonald's restaurants are more permanent.

Posted by: G Grant ( )
Date: January 19, 2019 08:49AM

I have to agree. An open house for the small, cheaply constructed temples is going to prompt the question of "Why so soon?" Answering that first, obvious question could be followed by a number of very embarrassing follow up questions.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 19, 2019 09:00AM

And it's not like your average McTemple gets a lot of foot traffic.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 18, 2019 05:09PM

Temple open houses must be similar to temple/church pageants. Rusty loathes them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.