Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: goldrose ( )
Date: January 20, 2019 11:28AM

I started noticing that so many of my lds friends started posted on social media all these different quotes and articles about abortion. Is this the new thing they focus on this year? And of course, these posts contain their personal opinions. Very often these post are posted by a male, who says that he wouldn’t ever do it/ allow it. Even if the baby should be born with extreme health conditions.

Now don’t get me wrong. I don’t necessarily support abortions, but I understand and don’t judge women, who choose to have them. But everything is so black and white with Mormons.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: January 20, 2019 12:05PM

I'm guessing it's because the national March for Life is taking place this weekend in Washington, DC.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: January 20, 2019 12:40PM

I assume Mo' publications or leaders have had said something about it lately--I used to notice my brother would sometimes start talking about a subject out of the blue, then I would see that it was a week or so after the 'Ensign' had an article about the same thing...

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: January 21, 2019 05:49PM

Creepy!

Date: January 21, 2019 05:51PM

The Ensign as precursor....twilight zone music....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2019 05:51PM by mel.

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: January 20, 2019 07:26PM

Anniversary of the Roe v. Wade decision is Tuesday. The Catholics are all announcing it this weekend and a lot of churches are having special mass that day, that's the only way I know (I work at a Catholic church).

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: January 21, 2019 03:33PM

So many anti-abortion types also believe in the Death penalty for crimes. They just want to choose who they can kill, and when.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 21, 2019 04:00PM

It follows from an absolutist philosophical position that human souls are eternally accountable, responsible, and punishable for their actions. Their only get out of jail card is provided by Jesus. Send the baddies to their maker and make room for more souls for Jesus deliveries.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 08:33AM

Is it immoral to make a conscious decision that the state should kill murderers as a punishment for their murder of others, while making it illegal to murder an innocent child shortly before their birth? Yes, they want to decide who they kill and when.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2019 08:35AM by azsteve.

Posted by: Mormon Nomore ( )
Date: January 21, 2019 04:32PM

I've been anti-abortion since a few days before conception. I'm very sure everyone born has been, too. Somehow, life has a way of persuading many to abandon pprevkiously held notions.

Go figure.

Date: January 21, 2019 05:23PM

You can't have been anti-abortion without proper cognition. All you can claim is you weren't one.

Date: January 21, 2019 05:53PM

Weird how so many things can be coordinated now through social media.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2019 05:54PM by mel.

Posted by: Mormon Nomore ( )
Date: January 24, 2019 03:26PM

mel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Weird how so many things can be coordinated now
> through social media.

TRUE.

https://adage.com/article/agency-news/planned-parenthood-launches-roo-a-sexual-health-chatbot-teens/316365/

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: January 22, 2019 08:52AM

I hear all these campaigns on the radio, and always wonder about it. The number of abortions is supposedly really really high. And they are always saying a prayer (with accompanying background music) to Mother Mary to end it all.

I'm sure Catholics mean well? but the root cause is young people needing better sex education. Of course no one wants to touch that with a ten foot pole, they'd rather let other peoples kids get taught by someone else.

Posted by: Gatorman not logged in ( )
Date: January 24, 2019 05:25AM

Hey Goldrose

How is New York City and life in general?

Gatorman

Posted by: MarkJ ( )
Date: January 25, 2019 08:23PM

I have always thought it hypocritical of Mormons to claim that the unborn are living when the Book of Mormon itself says that Jesus appeared to a prophet the night before Jesus was born - the body that was to be Jesus was not Jesus. The old Mormon belief was that a body had to "breathe the air of this world" to become a living soul. According to Joseph Smith, a soul is the union of a spirit with a body. No breath, no union.

(3 Nephi 1:11–12). His pleas were heard, and the Lord spoke to him, “Lift up your head and be of good cheer; for behold, the time is at hand, and on this night shall the sign be given, and on the morrow come I into the world, to show unto the world that I will fulfil all that which I have caused to be spoken by the mouth of my holy prophets”

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 27, 2019 03:00PM

I’m getting the same thing from the few rabid Evangelicals I for some reason stay connected to. Mostly because they’re quite comical and it’s interesting to see how gullible they are. I think it’s cause the goober brigade started stupid memes due to New York recently voting to codify Roe v Wade in their state laws. As other liberal states already have. Just in case the Federal law gets overturned and it reverts back to the states. The same reason the conservative states have put restrictions in their state laws that would kick in if the Federal law wasn’t overruling it.

They have the Evangelicals, and apparently the mormons believing that it’s some new law New York has instituted that anybody can walk into an abortion clinic at 8 months and say “kill this baby.” They are just incredibly STUPID. But they all pass the memes on to their goober friends who pass it on and not a one of them have a clue what they’re talking about. The many restrictions on late term abortion in Roe still stand. The 15-year ban on “partial birth” abortion still stands. Yes, they’re still claiming that happens too. They’re just to stupid to look it up. People think a meme is scripture. And if they share it on Facebook they’re doing something to stop abortion. You know, like those of us who are fighting for comprehensive sex education and access to contraceptives are. Except they’re not. They’re just taking pride in their gullibility as they so often do. I give them their right to their own feelings about abortion. Just not their right to be ignorant of the actual law.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2019 03:07PM by NormaRae.

Posted by: stang99tls ( )
Date: January 28, 2019 05:21PM

As long as the mother cites her mental health as a reason, she can get an abortion at 8 months. And the Health Law that protects babies from failed abortions has been repealed. And if you beat a women that causes a miscarriage you can no longer be charged for murder.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 30, 2019 12:12PM

Wow, you know a doctor who will perform an abortion at 8 months because a woman walks in and claims it will harm her mental health? Would you do me a favor and pass along his/her name. Oh, also with the statutory info about the supposed law that made it so anyone causing any miscarriage could be charged with murder. I'm thinking you're not confusing it with someone who might cause a premature birth/death of what would be a viable fetus or mitigating charges in a woman's death, correct? And I guess you're talking about a federal law not one a state tried to enact that might have gotten overturned on appeal.

I do a lot of volunteer work with Planned Parenthood and I know many PP directors have heard of these mysterious doctors, but have never been able to pinpoint just exactly what back alley shack they might be practicing in. And when they find out, trust me, THEY will turn them in. The few doctors who will perform a legal late-term abortion outside an emergency hospital setting wouldn't EVEN go there. So please pass your info on and I can share it.

Ok, There are few doctors who do perform late-term abortions in the few states that haven't found a way to outlaw it through ways that circumvent Roe. They choose their cases wisely and they are usually medical related. And there aren't many. And there are doctors who will perform one in an emergency hospital setting. Those are almost always to save the life of or prevent extreme damage to the health of the mother. And you're entitled to your feelings on whether a mother should give up her life and not be there for the rest of her family. But so are they and I don't believe I, or anyone else, has that right to make that decision for someone. You do--fine. Keep working for the rights you believe in and I'll work for the ones I do. There are, however, some women who need to terminate a late-stage pregnancy because of fetal abnormalities and it is still considered abortion even though the baby has no chance of survival. So we assume these are the cases that the goober brigade latches on to in order to claim that women are claiming they have a mental health problem and a doctor says, "Oh, ok. Come here, I'd be glad to perform an abortion." Except they don't. Those are usually women who wanted a baby more than anything. And they just don't walk into a clinic and get a late-term abortion. They have usually fought for weeks to find a doctor and convince them of the seriousness of their case. Those doctors are so few that they are really picky about who they will take.

One such case happened in Utah when I was living there. And it was a mormon woman who found out late in her pregnancy that she was carrying a baby with some kind of abnormality that allowed it to thrive in the womb but there was no chance it could breathe, even with assistance, once it was born. She would have to deliver a baby and hold it while it gasped for breath and died. That case prompted the state to change a law that hospitals that received any state funds (almost all) could not perform any kind of abortion, so that they could in a very limited set of circumstances. And the religious organization who runs that state only got involved and let their politicians pass such a law because it was a mormon woman with a husband in high leadership positions. And yes, that got turned into a story about a woman who terminated a later stage pregnancy because of her mental health. True. But they leave off the part about her not being able to continue with the pregnancy knowing what she, her husband, and the baby would have to endure during its inhumane death and how that would affect her mental health for the duration of her life. Those women have to make hard choices. It is so disgusting that people think they have the right to make that choice for them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2019 12:14PM by NormaRae.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: January 30, 2019 12:52PM

Word, NormaRae.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: January 30, 2019 01:12PM

Preach! Thank you sister!

Posted by: PDX ( )
Date: January 28, 2019 11:31PM

If the Mormon leadership is really concerned about abortion, then certainly they must do genealogy and temple work for all of these aborted fetuses. Right?

Date: January 30, 2019 01:18PM

PDX Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Right?

Wrong. They have a one breath (at least) rule for people to be considered.

Posted by: PDX ( )
Date: February 06, 2019 02:22AM

My post was intended to be sarcasm, i.e., Mormon leadership being pro-life and thus, anti-abortion, yet not doing temple work for aborted fetuses even though many of them would consider abortion to be tantamount to murder. Hence, another Mormon doctrinal problem.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: January 30, 2019 12:26PM

There may have been a recent change in NY state law, that's what it seems to look like.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.