Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 09:41AM

SusieQ#1 died January 20, 2019. Funeral arrangements unknown at this time.

Susie and I knew each other back in the day when we were both TBM. She was the first out, then years later helped me in my journey out. For that I will be forever grateful.

She had a great life and I will miss her.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 09:47AM

Oh how sad.

Rest in peace Susie dear.

You will be missed.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 09:56AM

Oh no! Susie, we will miss you. May you, your family, IRL friends, and friends here find peace after your loss.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 10:00AM

I'm stunned and sorrowed to hear this. Peace to her family and friends. Thanks for letting us know, Rutabaga.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 10:02AM

Wow. This does not seem right. Her story is still on the Story Contest Board and it is great like all the others she wrote.

I used to chafe with her a bit. We definitely had different points of view on a lot, but her value to this board was immense. Very sharp lady.

Good Bye SuzieQ#1

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 10:03AM

Oh, no!!
What happened?

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 10:15AM

She had an emergency surgery January 12th and has been in ICU since.

Date: January 23, 2019 10:15AM

I don't know yet.
Going to try to put the pieces together today.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 10:09AM

Dear Susie. I met you. I enjoyed knowing you. I loved your sense of humor. I will miss you. Thanks for being a friend. Dagny

Date: January 23, 2019 10:16AM

She was a great lady I had the honor of knowing through RfM.

R.I.P. SuzieQ.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 11:11AM

Is there a link that could be provided to the funeral home? They usually have a spot to offer condolences. She was a legend here on RfM and provided such a counterbalance to some of our anger. She will certainly be missed!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 11:14AM

Big sigh! I'm glad you took your power back no matter how much I got irritated by your ideologies. You were a great person. You join a storied list of people who I've met here and who have passed on.

I've read and reread this many times.

https://www.shields-research.org/Critics/SusieQ_Peterson_a01.htm

Your taking him to task was superb.

Too bad he won't be singing your praises anytime soon.

Goodbye SusieQ#1.

Date: January 23, 2019 11:54AM

Thanks, EB. I'm saving this, had not seen or read it before now.

It is one of Susie's finest.

I hadn't seen her so riled up before or since reading this, it is the source that is self-explanatory.

She really was a fireball!

Date: January 23, 2019 12:10PM

You are welcome. After her husband died she seemed less a fireball but I remember some exchanges here where she had a lot of spunk like this exchange.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 01:17PM

I agree, after her husband's death, she was much softer around the edges. She held it together with him despite their different beliefs for so long, maybe it released a certain amount of stress.

Thanks for the exchange with Denial, EB

Date: January 23, 2019 01:27PM

Soft Machine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the exchange with Denial, EB

You are welcome. I really liked her wisdom on mixed Mormon marriages. I'm disappointed in myself that I never told her so.

And Denial. What a guy. I wonder if he has softened since he isn't a "Mormon" anymore and Nelson has required him to take vitamins and get more rest?

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 08:39PM

Do you think tapir Dan is enough of an empathetic human being that he will express his condolences here? We know he reads the board...

Nah. Not a chance.

Susie will be missed.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 08:47PM

Hi hie. Sorry, it amuses me to say that so I likely won't stop. I know it's juvenile but...

Maybe you don't know but DCP isn't allowed to post here due to being a mopologist.

I see someone above mentioning that he is an exmo. Did I read that right? I've been away for a while but *that* long?

Really? Can someone confirm whether DCP is now an exmo? In which case he *could* post here if he wanted as far as I know.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 08:57PM

I would be shocked to hear that DCP is exmo. He makes a living off the backs of mormons. And that shtick wouldn't work for exmos. So I seriously doubt he's left the gravy train.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 09:00PM

I think the reference to Danny not being a Mormon refers to Russell's insistence that "Mormon" not be used.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: January 29, 2019 02:23PM

He lurks here, that's for sure. He posted about her death on his blog including the link to Shields. His words were

"Over fifteen years ago, I had a rather unpleasant exchange with a convert to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints who had since left it and, in her relatively old age, become a quite vocal atheist (although her husband evidently remained a believer until his death a few years back)"

"I found out the other day that “SusieQ” — I know her actual name but won’t use it here — died a few days ago. I wish her family well, and genuinely hope that her recent experience has been a pleasant surprise for her."

So since Peterson lurks here, here is a message for him. Dan, you wouldn't have posted that Shields link on the guest book of her obituary. At least I would hope you wouldn't. I find your blog post about her to be less of a condolence and just another opportunity to make it all about you. Having interacted with both her and you in cyberspace, my take is that SusieQ#1 was a saint and you were and still are an asshole.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 04, 2019 01:49PM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 11:20AM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 11:24AM

SusieQ was such a presence on this board over many, many years. I will miss her contributions here. I always liked the way she handled her exit from the church - "I changed my mind." Her post about how to handle life with a believing spouse was a classic.

Rest in peace, Susie.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 11:26AM

I'm so sorry to hear this. I will miss her wonderful insight.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 11:30AM

Oh, how sad! I will miss her.

So many of her stories are passing through my mind right now...her living as a newlywed in Y-mount Terrace, an Atheist in a loving, happy marriage to a TBM, the story of the peeping Tom in the church ladies' room, her quoting the "agreements" book...and all her great tried-and-true sage advice.

Yes, there were a few times I would get frustrated with her, because she was too NICE to Mormons, but now I understand that she had that great wisdom that comes with experience.

Thank you, Rubicon for telling us.

Yes, please give us a website address, so we can tell her family how much she meant to us.

Susie Q, you will always be #1.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 11:34AM

I mean "Rutabaga". Sorry.

Date: January 23, 2019 11:43AM

Haha I answer to anything.

starbucklind.com

Susanne L. Stoddard

It doesn't appear she having any services. The obit blurb was in the Lompoc paper.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 11:42AM

Wow. Sad news. She was quite an asset here and helped many. Wishing the best for her family.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 11:43AM

... and her short-story entry ...

So comical, so loveable.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 11:46AM

I'm sad. I will miss her humor and especially her insights.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 01:03PM

I will miss her.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 01:12PM

OMG!
She will be so missed.
Thoughts to all who knew and loved her

May her memory be for a blessing to all

Posted by: lunarquaker ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 01:16PM

wow, saddened by this news, I still have the email she sent me on her clever take on temple endowments, she posted on her home to keep missionaries away :(

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 01:26PM

I didn't always agree with her, although it happened more often after her husband died, but I always read her posts with interest and enjoyment.

I'll miss mer. She seemed such a NICE lady who had made a good life out of a bad one, while remaining cheerful, which has to be impressive.

Rest In Peace, Susie

Tom in Paris

Date: January 23, 2019 02:31PM

Of all the posters I've read, she was one that seemed very close to recovered.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 02:34PM

I always thought of her as The Grande Dame of RfM.

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 02:39PM

=,(

Bye Susie. You were a wonderful online friend for more than 20 years!

HH

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 03:29PM

RIP SusieQ#1

She took me under her wing through encouraging emails when I was in the process of exiting back in 2000.

Great lady!

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 03:39PM

She was one of the first posters I remember from when I initially (because of a Google search) stumbled onto this board.

My best wishes go out to her friends and her family.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 03:43PM

Wow!

I don't check in here as often as I used to, but checking in here today...Wow!!

SusieQ#1, though I never met you, I was very impressed by your essays about living before Mormonism, living through Mormonism, and living after Mormonism. How to make a marriage work with a believing spouse is also one of my favorite essays of yours. If such a place exists (I am highly doubtfoul), good luck in the hereafter.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 04:38PM

SusieQ will be missed. Sending kind thoughts to her family.

Posted by: severedpuppetstrings ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 05:27PM

RIP - SusieQ# <3

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 05:42PM

I heard through a mutual friend that she had not been doing well. I'll have to let him know that it is now official.

She and I had become Facebook-level friends. I'll miss her, too.

If she wasn't THE Grande Dame of RfM, she was in the top few.

Susie, my friend, I will miss you.

Date: January 23, 2019 06:04PM

I'm so sorry to read this. SQ was front and centre when I first came here and I remember her amazing efforts to maintain a positive attitude and encourage everyone else to do likewise. Eventually she wasn't posting as much but was still a presence. I saw her recent posts and her enjoyable short story. Her washroom tale was a perennial favourite here. And she loved her husband despite the Mormon thing. Which is no small feat in many cases.

She made me laugh. Thanks SusieQ#1.

Rest in peace. You deserve it.

Date: January 23, 2019 06:38PM

Her passing really is very sad to me.
I have been here, on and off, for 2 decades. Several posters have since past on since that time. Now SusieQ is another one.

Can't help but been nostalgic.

Posted by: silvergenie ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 07:47PM

R.I.P SusieQ. You were a very memorable poster here and will be sadly missed by all.

Posted by: lisadee ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 08:07PM

Oh my. I didn't know her but I pray her family have peace and comfort. I pray their tears will soon turn to smiles from joyful memories.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 08:23PM

I'm so sorry to learn that she is gone. I felt close to her in many ways, although I never met her in person. I learned a lot from her. I don't know if she was here when I first arrived in 2002, but it seems to me she has always been here.

SusieQ and I are nearly the same age, so this is another reminder that none of us are going to continue here forever.

I'm pretty sure she met her end with the same courageous spirit that she demonstrated here. What great stories she will tell when she gets to her final destination.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 08:50PM

Yes, sad and shocking news to hear. She is one of the posters I'll always remember. She helped keep us balanced from being too "anti" :) She will be remembered as someone who truly valued respect for all people.

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 08:53PM

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 09:01PM

Oh, no! That's so sad. I can't imagine her not being here. Thank goodness she has a legacy here on the forum and elsewhere, where her wise words can still be read.

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 10:32PM

How sad! Susie has been such a constant throughout the years that I’ve been on this site, and I will really miss her. She wasn’t afraid to speak her mind and stand her ground, which led to some clashes with other posters at times. But when her husband died, so many people rallied around her, including those she’d butted heads with. It’s a real testament to the high regard she was held in here.

Posted by: Redneck Wonderland ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 11:22PM

Enjoyed reading SusieQ's comments. RIP

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 24, 2019 12:53AM

She helped me get out, too. I'm sorry to hear of her death.

Posted by: OzDoc ( )
Date: January 24, 2019 02:10AM

RIP Susie. An object lesson in integrity and respect. Standing strong for what she believed,loyal to her husband and respectful of differences between them. I didn't always agree with her so she taught me that lesson too.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 24, 2019 09:34AM

Susie Q
We'll miss you

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: January 24, 2019 10:42AM

She always had such positive things to say and always advised to have a sense of humor; that a sense of humor gets you through many things. I always enjoyed her posts. RIP Susie Q.

Posted by: iris ( )
Date: January 24, 2019 04:27PM

I will miss SusieQ. I appreciated her positive outlook.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: January 24, 2019 06:27PM

Susie always impressed me with her wisdom.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 24, 2019 06:53PM

Sad to lose part of the RFM family, but as long as RFM exists, SusieQ#1 will have a presence here.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: January 24, 2019 07:35PM

Nicely put, BOJ ...

RIP SusieQ.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: January 24, 2019 09:45PM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 27, 2019 09:34PM

Posted by: PtLoma ( )
Date: March 03, 2019 03:16PM

Ditto.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: January 24, 2019 10:06PM

Thanks for the information.

I'm sure she was greeted in heaven by many friends, such as we here, still on earth.

I considered her a college, and am happy I knew her on this site.

Her thoughts and shared feelings about Mormon doctrine shared here, will be admired and verified by those who greet her.

I also will miss her very much.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: January 24, 2019 10:35PM

When I first stumbled onto RFM I was still a believing Mormon, dazed and confused by apologists and angry. SusieQ#1 was a friendly and kind voice that I very much appreciated. Saddened to hear the news.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2019 10:44PM by mikemitchell.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 25, 2019 07:47AM

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: January 25, 2019 02:59PM

Sad to learn of her passing. I always read her posts with interest, even when I disagreed with her. She seemed like a very kind, and classy, woman.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: January 25, 2019 03:38PM

Thank you for posting this obit for Susie. Two things I will always remember from her many posts are "I changed my mind", and "I took my power back". She will be missed!

Posted by: contrarymary ( )
Date: January 26, 2019 12:55PM

Yes! I've used her "I changed my mind" statement many times IRL.

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: January 25, 2019 05:28PM

Sad news, she was one of the greats on this board. She will definitely be missed.

Posted by: Lorraine aka síóg ( )
Date: January 25, 2019 11:27PM

A RfM institution has passed. It's hard to believe she will no longer be here, egging us on, in her own distinctive, unmistakable way. RIP, Susie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2019 10:01AM by Lorraine aka síóg.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: January 26, 2019 10:24AM

Thanks for letting me know about her death. When I was more active on the board, I enjoyed reading her unique views. Rest in peace, SusieQ.

Posted by: Evergreennotloggedin ( )
Date: January 26, 2019 12:23AM

She was one of the prominent posters when I found rfm. So sad she is gone.

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: January 26, 2019 09:21AM

Rest in Peace, Suzie. You and your husband were an unusual and loving couple to have lived with your religious differences without giving up your own convictions and life. If there is any afterlife I hope you are together and not in bogus Mormon heaven.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: January 26, 2019 11:43AM

Wow.

I remember her red hat...and then how much she hated to be reminded of it.

She was one of the helpful ones. An RfM loss.

Posted by: contrarymary ( )
Date: January 26, 2019 12:53PM

I've loved her posts! I seldom post but have lurked here regularly for six years.

Posted by: dimmesdale ( )
Date: January 26, 2019 10:23PM

I will miss her.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 27, 2019 01:07PM

Farewell, Susie, you will be missed.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: January 27, 2019 06:50PM

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: January 27, 2019 09:27PM

Susie will be missed. She was here years ago when I first got here. She gave thoughtful and kind comments and helped many of us who at that time had just found our way out of the cult.

Goodbye Susie, it was so good to know you.

Posted by: Bicentennial Ex ( )
Date: January 27, 2019 11:18PM

I remember her posts and saved off several. She will live on in them.

Thank you, Susie, for being here for us.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: January 28, 2019 08:39AM

That is sad news.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Posted by: Tyrrhenia ( )
Date: January 28, 2019 03:18PM

Oh nooo! Very sad news...

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: January 28, 2019 04:54PM

So sad to hear the news.

SusieQ#1 qualifies as an RfM hall of famer. If RfM had jersey numbers, hers would deserve to be retired.

In a nutshell, she was the calm, persistent, very lucid, voice of reason.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: January 29, 2019 03:37PM

Enjoy the rest. Her posts will live on rfm forever.

Posted by: Shannonnli ( )
Date: January 30, 2019 11:13PM

Loved her spunk! R.I.P. SusieQ.

Posted by: battlebruise ( )
Date: January 30, 2019 11:26PM

I will miss her insight and wit.

Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: January 31, 2019 03:22AM

SusieQ#1 was kind and welcoming when I first came to RFM over 15 years ago. She and I spoke on the phone a few times and she was real and funny and loving. I learned a lot from her and will miss her great sense of humor and her bright outlook on life. She was a real gem.

Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: January 31, 2019 11:56AM

I will miss her. Her thoughts and how she stayed in a mixed faith marriage helped me off the ledge a couple of times.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 01, 2019 09:19PM

Oh, that is sad. I will miss her. I enjoyed her insights.

Posted by: HikergrlAZ ( )
Date: February 02, 2019 12:11AM

She will be missed. She was the first person to respond to my first post here. Such a wise woman. Love to her....

Date: February 04, 2019 02:10PM

I'm especially sorry for those RfMers who are personally touched by the loss of SQ.

I feel very sad and only knew her by her posts through the years.

These days age 77 is on the young side. I would have thought she would have many more miles to go.

I feel a pang when I think of her. I always read her posts.

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: February 06, 2019 04:25PM

Posted by: kativicky ( )
Date: February 06, 2019 04:43PM

Wow! I am so sorry!!!

Posted by: Jon Sawyer ( )
Date: March 03, 2019 12:11PM

Susie and I met in an online (AOL) chatroom 20+ years ago through our mutual association with Mormonism. She was a moderator of the room, and I remember being in awe of how fully she enaged in conversation (I could barely keep up) while simultaneously managing her rambunctious room! I was a teenager trying to find my way in the world, and she was (to me at the time) an old lady who had "been there, done that." She had strong opinions (and was not hesitant to express them), a bright mind, and a unique depth of life experience. She was preceded in death by her husband Leon, whom she always spoke about with great affection. Given her sometimes (ok, often) feisty persona, how she spoke of Leon stood out as particularly tender. Virtual friends make them no less real, and I will miss Susie. Rest in Peace, old friend.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 03, 2019 12:30PM

Hers was one of the first names I saw on this board when I first investigated it a decade ago and always looked forward to and appreciated her input. RIP dear lady and sincere condolences to her family and friends.

Date: March 03, 2019 12:47PM

I still have a hard time wrapping my head around her passing like I did with Yossarian (from years ago).

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 03, 2019 12:59PM

A side note. I had emergency surgery on the same day and was in intensive care for a week. I did move on to a regular hospital room for a day before being released to an extended care facility.

It's chilling to know that Susie didn't make it as I did.

I feel I know her well from reading her posts for so many years. She made a difference to many.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2019 01:15PM by Cheryl.

Posted by: Jon Sawyer ( )
Date: March 03, 2019 01:20PM

Cheryl, I'm glad you made it through your surgery. Hope you are recovering well. Yes, Susie did make a difference to many of us. We had so many wonderful, spirited conversations over the years. She is missed.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 03, 2019 01:49PM

Glad to know you are recovering Cheryl. Too many of us face terrible health challenges after a certain age and do not survive. Be well.

Date: March 03, 2019 09:17PM

Good to hear you are on the mend

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 03, 2019 02:01PM

I miss her.

Date: March 03, 2019 03:13PM

Oh how sad. I've been on this board since 2000 and she was one of my favorites. Gonna miss her. :(

Date: March 03, 2019 03:23PM

When I first found the RFM board in 2000, she was posting as "SusieQ", and several years later her handle changed to "SusieQ#1". I can't remember the details---did a troll try to assume her identity/handle, forcing her to change her ID?

Of all her posts, my favorite was her account of her endowment, wearing a white nurse's uniform dress and stockings over her full-length garments (g's down to ankles/wrists were required for temple use until the mid-1970s)

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: March 03, 2019 09:11PM

I asked her about that years ago - but I can't remember her response. I assume her original handle was reused by a newer poster ...

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: March 04, 2019 12:01AM

RIP, Dear SusieQ! Unforgettable and a fount of wisdom with delightful humor. She will be so missed. Really a loss!

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 04, 2019 12:04AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.