Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: January 24, 2019 09:57AM

Found an interesting link to an article about the importance of beginning your day in a fruitful way that will boost your day and your life/income/success, etc.

https://medium.com/thrive-global/you-make-or-break-your-life-between-5-7-am-a7f4125e1326

Didn't get all that far into it to discern (and a few paras later have confirmed) that those who study the first two hours on a "humanitarian mission" are LDS missionaries! He even goes on to quote Holland.

Innocent readers, beware!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 24, 2019 10:53AM

5am to 7am is really good for sleeping. But then again I'm a slacker.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: January 24, 2019 11:22AM

I agree sleeping is what needs to be happening in that time frame.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 24, 2019 01:54PM

I wish I could but I leave for work at 7 am to start at 8, so I get up at or, often, before 6. I like early mornings. Our excellent public transport is less full and walking through Paris at 7. am is a gas ;-).

I'll try to sleep later when I retire in too many years' time.

Tom in Paris

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: January 24, 2019 02:38PM

I do agree that Paris at 7 AM is beautiful. I was out and about at that time every day when I was there for work a few years ago.

Minneapolis in January, not so much. I work from home a lot so the commute from the bedroom to my office is about 4 seconds. Allows for sleeping in and being on time.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: January 25, 2019 02:20PM

Funny that, 5pm to 7pm in France are the hours used for assignations.

At first glance I thought you were referring to Cinq A Sept.

Spank my dirty mind LOL

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 28, 2019 05:14AM

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: January 24, 2019 02:03PM

A man after my own heart. Slackers unite!

Posted by: mankosuki ( )
Date: January 24, 2019 11:29AM

Up at around 5am everyday. Consider it the best part of the day. Guess I'm a morning person. Don't know if it's made me anymore successful though.
Old proverb, "early to bed, early to rise. Makes a man healthy,wealthy,and wise."

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: January 26, 2019 11:24AM

Late to bed
Early to rise
Makes it so
You can't open your eyes...

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: January 24, 2019 11:30AM

I usually am up about 5am for the first pee of the day and then back to bed until at least 8pm. I AM retired after and I don't have to do a damn thing I don't want to.

Posted by: popcicle sticks ( )
Date: January 24, 2019 12:35PM

Yes, getting enough sleep is very important for health and well being. 5 am - 7 am are the best sleeping hours.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: January 24, 2019 01:04PM

But that can't be right. Snoozing is one of my favorite things in life. I don't see how I can lose if I'm doing what I love best to do. Seems like I'm more often losing when I'm not snoozing.

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: January 24, 2019 01:06PM

"Religious people believe things because they believe them, not because they are true."

I spend the time from 5 to 7 thinking.... about getting out of bed.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 24, 2019 01:48PM

24 hours in a day last I heard. You can fill any one of those hours with anything that you choose. This is just another self-aggrandizing article to brag about what he feels makes him so wonderful. And you can be too if you follow my lead. Blech!

I actually am a morning person and love the hours between 5:30 and 7:30 and still think this article is bull.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: January 24, 2019 01:54PM

In fact last night I got quite a bit of progress on a programming task between 9pm and midnight. If I got up at 5am I'd probably have to go to bed by 9:30 pm; in order to be productive at 5am I'd have to go to bed even earlier because it takes an hour or so to wake me up, shower, caffiene, breakfast.

Posted by: Mormon Nomore ( )
Date: January 24, 2019 02:24PM

I have studied the differences between billionaires and fools since 2003. What I've discovered is that billionaires have a keen regard for the value of time, communications and networking.

My greatest source for study is conveniently available to anybody, free of charge.

Go to You Tube and type in Evan Carmichael.

You will then have instant access to the most inspiring, useful and motivational channel ever created.

Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/Tnc53KYiQhc

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: January 26, 2019 11:19AM

So which one are you? Sounds like you can only be one or another. If not a billionaire, must be a fool.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 29, 2019 07:32PM

My heavens!

You found Joel Olsteen and Tony Robbins' love child.

I wonder which he'll look like when he hits puberty.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: January 24, 2019 02:26PM

in b 4 ~ LIES ~ !!! ~

all good exmos know that there is no such thing as 5am & 7am ~

5 & 7 apply to pm only ~

Date: January 24, 2019 07:42PM

Thanks for the clarification. Having two 5-7's in a day can make cocktail hour very confusing.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 24, 2019 07:51PM

Have you ever worked shifts? This is ridiculous in a twenty-four hour economy. Ridiculous assumption.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: January 24, 2019 08:03PM

Mid shift sucks hours suck.

However it is all realative to your own routines. Id love for work to end at 3pm and start at 10am. For that i would have to live in Greece and put up all the social BS.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: January 24, 2019 10:09PM

Waking up and doing crap from 5 to 7 would not make me successful unless I was working as an extra in a zombie movie.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 24, 2019 10:21PM

Cat napping as I don't usually get up until 8 in the winter.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: January 24, 2019 10:31PM

Wow, makes or breaks?

So if we’re not productive during those hours we’re going to be total losers, huh?

Just what I need. Another guilt trip. As if I didn’t get enough of those from my mother.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: January 25, 2019 12:37AM

Unless it is an out-of-the-ordinary day, I am asleep.

(I am so much NOT a "morning person" that, when I was growing up, my Mom wrote out excuses for me when there were important tests to take in the first three school periods, so I could do them in the afternoon instead.)

Besides there being "just naturally" 'morning people,' and those who are not 'morning people,' a lifelong schoolteacher I once knew said he could tell in the first two weeks of school which of his students came from alcoholic and abusive families: they were the ones who were either fully or partially asleep during morning classes.

Although the alcoholic/abusive family pattern fits the me who was growing up, it is also true that--after I married and left my parents' home--I STILL was not a 'morning person'--and this has remained true for all of my adult life.

I know for a fact that many creative people (writers, artists), and many people in highly-intellectually-active professions (science, mathematics, etc.) are also not 'morning people" either.

Optimum advice for NON-'morning people' would be: Determine what YOUR mind and body rhythms are, and then use your highest-functioning periods to their utmost....advice which is obviously of no value at all to LDS missionaries.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: January 25, 2019 03:04PM

Sorry, we are not impressed.

A "PhD candidate" is not making billions of dollars. Having 5 children all at once is irresponsible. Maybe he inherited his "billions", and can afford all those kids. He was a more conforming, more zealous missionary--so what. (what an insufferable companion he must have been!) That's not anyone's idea of a success. Reading scriptures is not anyone's idea of educating yourself. Stringing together a bunch of dis-jointed statements and quotes, and switching cases and bolds and fonts does not make one a writer. Some of his statements don't make sense, for example:

>>>"If you don’t do a morning routine, then you are probably repeating the past over and over, every single day.<<<"

Huh? Isn't a "routine" something you do over and over, every single day?

He's obviously trying to make money, by becoming a self-created, motivational guru, and the next Steve Covey.

Steve Covey liked to swim every morning! He did a lot of playing. He often read late into the night, and not just scriptures. Steve Covey went to Harvard. He had a high IQ. Steve Covey was born into a wealthy family, and when he was in his early thirties, his grandfather died and left him a million dollars.

Only a person who has made "billions" of dollars can tell others how to make a billion dollars.

Just like Joseph Smith. He was a treasure-seeker for hire, like his father before him, and if they had been successful, they would not have been so poor, does that make sense? So, JS decides to write a book...then form a cult...then get a following, and squeeze money out of them.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: January 25, 2019 06:03PM

If it's dark my body/brain says "SLEEP". If it's light my body/brain says "WAKE". That's just how I"m built. That's also why changing back and forth from daylight saving time drives me nuts!

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: January 28, 2019 11:08AM

I'm the same way. Doesn't matter what time the clock says, my body responds to the light and dark.

Posted by: lisadee ( )
Date: January 26, 2019 11:01AM

Never been a morning person and I hate chipper morning people. Don't even talk to me until 9:30 or 10.
I don't "greet" the day.
I RESIGN myself to it.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: January 26, 2019 11:39AM

Morning people are self-righteous. They take their natural inclination and claim it as a hard won virtue that everyone should practice.

Human, sans this ‘virtue’, even after 40 years of hard trying

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 26, 2019 12:30PM

I get up before 5 AM on weekdays because I have to. I leave the house just after 6:30. On weekends I sleep until 8 or 8:30 because that's what my body likes to do. Once I retire, I never want to get up at 5 AM again unless I'm catching a flight somewhere.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: January 26, 2019 02:22PM

I’m usually writing at that time of day.

Posted by: Anon& ( )
Date: January 26, 2019 02:38PM

Since since age 45, I start waking up naturally on my own around 5am. I have two cups of coffee and head to the gym for 40-60 minutes of cardio. The endorphin rush lasts my entire work day. I am happy,confident, upbeat, energetic, etc. It is absolutely amazing. I go to a nearby gym, and there are a lot of young nurses who work out before their shift, and so, well it makes the work out a true cardio experience, T-boost, endorphin rush, etc. Highly recommend.

Posted by: westernwillows ( )
Date: January 26, 2019 05:20PM

I read the whole article, and while I think he's mostly full of crap, he really lost me when he went on and on about how getting up early and exercising isn't a worthwhile endeavor because, you know, I should be reading and journaling and praying instead.

I live in Arizona. Six months out of the year it's friggin hot. I get up at 5 AM so that I can have all of my outdoor and physically active stuff done by 10 AM. Reading and journaling and praying aren't on that list. I have to hit the ground running early in the morning to get it all done by 10 AM.

I am just as successful in the winter when I get up at 7:30 as I am in the summer when I am up until 5. It makes no difference how I start my day (I have a quick 5 minute morning routine that I follow to get started, but it works for me. He probably would disapprove of my 5 minute morning routine too). Beyonce and I both have 24 hours in a day. If I spend more time on endeavors that make me money, I make more money. But money doesn't always equal happiness (although having enough to pay my bills does). Maybe I want to spend my time learning a new skill. Maybe I want to spend a day hiking in the desert. Maybe I want to meet friends downtown for coffee and spend the afternoon sharing big fish stories. He implies that if I'm not directly focusing my activities and mindset on making money that I'm failing or wasting my time.

What drivel.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: January 26, 2019 07:12PM

5-7 makes or breaks my life. It's my favorite time of day. I can unwind, and connect with my family. We unwind, talk about what we did during the day. Work is over, and we can relax and reap the benefits of our labor. Sometimes, these hours are a deep breath, before going out in the evening, and having fun together. Planning and anticipating are two happy pass-times.

Oh, he was talking about 5-7 in the morning, before dawn? I'm unconscious.

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: January 27, 2019 08:57AM

I do enjoy feeling like I won before anyone else woke up.

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: January 27, 2019 12:55PM

For me, I'm up at 5:30am so I can leave between before 7 to get to my 8:00 job on time. I do like being able to enjoy my coffee while seeing the sunrise. Still, on the weekends I like to sleep until at least 8, and on Sundays, I'm usually in my pajamas until almost noon because it's my day to relax, and the pajamas are comfortable.

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: January 27, 2019 07:56PM

If I have to get up at 5 am, I'm broken for the rest of the day. I guess if I did it every day, my whole life would be broken. Ergo, he's correct.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: January 28, 2019 11:12AM

LOL. Yeah, I'm broken, too.

"I do enjoy feeling like I won before anyone else woke up." That's hilarious, Jay!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 28, 2019 09:14AM

Hey, here's an idea:
Rationally analyze your life and your habits, and make changes where needed. Do what works for you.

Part of that analysis might be "don't listen to platitudes from self-proclaimed experts who think one-size-fits-all isn't just valid, it will make them a bunch of money."

At least I hope it might...:)

Posted by: Aloysius ( )
Date: January 28, 2019 09:17AM

Never trust anyone who writes a thousand words trying to convince you that something is "very apparent."

Posted by: MarkW ( )
Date: January 28, 2019 02:50PM

What's crazy is this couple (the author of the article and his wife). They had twins and adopted three others kids all in one year (2018). Something's wrong with this picture.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 29, 2019 06:15PM

He's talking about boosting his ego.

I hate to bust his bubble but thinkers-artists-visionaries can't always stay up all night creating the world and still wind up spending all day saving it.

He's just like his profit, Joseph's Myth, talking about something he knows nothing/ little about. Speculating.

He doesn't know the difference between exercising his body and his mind, and probably does little of the former... and even less if the latter.

Like J, I like to (feel like I) do more in the morning, usually before anyone else awakes, than some do all weak. High streak. Low strung.

Ideally I'd sleep between 8-11 pm, 2;30 - 5:30 am, and maybe other times of the day or night if needed.

It's said that "An hour before (midnight) is better than two after". I've often wondered about that (though I've done little research).

M@t

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: January 29, 2019 07:58PM

https://youtu.be/BgH0i-0zreoHockeyrat
Love this alarm clock for you “ lazy “ sleepy heads

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: January 30, 2019 10:18PM

More myopic BS from the There's-Only-One-True-Way-To-Do-Everything people.

So, Benjamin Hardy, what about all those happy, successful people in the world who work something other than 9 to 5, who are just ending their day while you're starting yours?

Benjamin Hardy, you claim how well you spend your morning determines how well you think. Well, it's making you think like a pedantic, self-righteous, conformist ass.

Date: January 31, 2019 09:49AM

Exactly, EXACTLY. You are very skilled at flaying and leaving to dry, olderelder. Makes me sick to think this ass could make money off this bull.

Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: January 31, 2019 12:17PM

There is no one way to success. And success is not necessarily defined by your bank account. Anyone who says anything different is selling you something.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: February 01, 2019 04:16PM

The only reasons to be up that early are work, fishing, and hunting.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.